The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Warmblood Guru's! I need help finding a Stallion!

Hello forum,

I have a beautiful 16'2" Swedish WB Mare that I am looking for a Stallion for. She has a great attitude, good work ethic, she is near unbeatable at the high child/adults and has done the Low Ams. My main goal is to get something with plenty of scope and bravery (although she has that in spades). She is a tiny bit "unorthodox" in her way of going so I don't think breeding to something "hot" would be a good match, having said that, "Flexible" is on the list . Unfortunately I do not have much of her bloodline, I have asked the girl I bought her from but she never got back to me. Hopefully you guys can help me out! Currently in the running are: Judgment, Flexible, and Gemini(Gem Twist clone) but I welcome suggestions. Thanks for reading! And here are some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

What a lovely mare! Good luck with whomever you choose for her .
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

1 members found this post helpful.

Gemini is certainly a hotter type guy from what has been written. No foals of riding age, so no clear answers there. I'm not a jumper breeder, so certainly not an expert there -- but, I do think most of the savvy breeders will want to know what you can offer regarding her lineage as well as more explanation about what is "unorthodox" about her jumping. She is a lovely mare! You should look into whether she has to be approved for breeding with her registry and if you have registration papers, her lineage should be easy to trace. Where you think she needs some help is also good information for recommendations.
    PennyG

Thumbs up Look at these two

How about Fine romance? Are you breeding for yourself or the sales market?though he's been used primarily for hunters; the Jupiters have plenty of scope and very correct technique/ form
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

What a pretty mare Your going to get a great foal!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

If I were breeding Swedish, Irco Mena is one I'd consider.....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tucktaway View Post
    If I were breeding Swedish, Irco Mena is one I'd consider.....
    2nd vote for Irco Mena. He is known for passing on a great temperment. He has also had lots of high level offspring. I ran across a comment somewhere that the head of Zangersheide stud had said the one horse he wished he had used more was Irco Mena.

Great looking mare :-)

Dan

You do not provide your mare's pedigree, so I have no idea if my suggestions will be too close for linebreeding.

If you're keeping with SWANA, Irco Mena is spectacular. Bo Crabo is getting close to retirement now, but is especially knowledgable and would help you make a great choice.

Other stallions you could research include:
    Amran 866 (Nimmerdor/Uppercut xx)
    Electro 778 (Voltaire / Tivoli / Amor)
    Robin Z 723 (Ramiro Z / Alpha Z / Alme Z)

These 3 are deceased, but their frozen is still available.

Your mare has a nice type and a complete outcross could be considered, such as Checkmate or Balou du Rouet or one of his rather fabulous sons. If you speak with SWANA ahead of time, I don't think they'd have a problem registering a foal from any of those stallions. They are registering my Sagnol foal this year out of my ASVH mare.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

The most helpful advice I can give you is research! Find out your mares bloodlines - it is essential in helping you figure out what baby daddy will most likely improve what you want to improve. Then take the time to look at offspring from the stallions you put on a short list. Look at the sore and dam sire of stallions you like. What traits do you see in the family that you hope to add to your mares qualities? For a first time breeder and a maiden (?) mare I would suggest looking for older, more established bloodlines, so you can really study offspring and make sure you like what you see. Then make sure you understand the pros and cons of frozen vs fresh - and make double sure if you are looking at frozen that you are using an experienced repro vet with a lot of experience with frozen semen. This is such a fun part of the breeding experience, but make sure you do your homework in order to end up with the best results. And never be afraid to ask questions! Good luck for a successful, fun experience.

We bred our Swedish WB mare (Roderick x Modesto) mare to our stallion Imothep and produced a very athletic, elastic and taller son. She's only about 16 h yet she jumped international 1.60m for the Swedish team under Helena Lundback. She is scopey and blooded. Good thing she was if she was jumping that big and successfully.!

Imothep gave this son his best traits, size, strong hind end, athletic movement and tempered the blood. A stallion to consider perhaps?

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions