The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Richard "Kudo" Couto?
    yeah! That's him!

The Mad Hatter would be appalled to be associated with him!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    yeah! That's him!

The Mad Hatter would be appalled to be associated with him!
    OMG the AR's love him though ....I even had one literally say to me ".I BET YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW RICHARD COUTO EITHER. HE'S FRIENDS WITH MY MOM"

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    OMG the AR's love him though ....I even had one literally say to me ".I BET YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW RICHARD COUTO EITHER. HE'S FRIENDS WITH MY MOM"

he came to COTH briefly...it was entertaining!
    I think he was one of the name confused people and had words with Swany...

Not even going into the 'MY MOM' thing...
    as gamer I would have dropped to the floor rolling with fits of hysterical laughter!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ron Andio bought a bunch of horses at Sugarcreek on Friday.
    Hopefully some of those will end up on his website.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't read through all four pages....
    I have been to this farm once to try a quarter horse for a friend who lives out of state. Ron was not home so I met his wife there. She did not hide the fact that he is a kill buyer. She did explain to me that he brings horses home for her to resell weekly though. They have a holding lot that has been tiles and line for good drainage so the horses residing there didn't have to stand in poor conditions. They had a lot of hay and also separated any horses that were bottom of the pack so they would have a fair share of food. The wife seemed nice enough. She grew up in this type of arrangement and as she saw it...what she and her husband were doing wasn't a big deal. Of course I didn't agree with that but I wasn't there to give her a tongue lashing. I was just glad to get a chance at a nice horse for a friend at a reasonable price. I figured if I made a fuss or told her how much I hated what her husband did for a living...that might make it harder for the next person to have a chance to look at her horses. This was several years ago....they have been doing resales for a long time. I found her horse on equine.com. She didn't have a website at that point. So this really isn't new news. FWIW she had two older, retired horses that were her show horses at some point. She told me they had a home for life. I guess they are the lucky ones.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

2 members found this post helpful.

I haven't read through all the replies but....I'm not seeing an issue, unless there's a backstory. Look, the guy is going to ship them anyway. At least he is giving some a chance, and yes, he should make a profit. And it doesn't appear to be a big one.

I like that you can see the horse before purchasing. I see the ones where it's $800 for a horse you've only seen a picture of. Eh, no thanks for me.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It's the CBER model- "The TRUCK IS COMING!!!"
    Buying a horse from him saves THAT horse. Another one just takes his place. It doesn't reduce the number slaughtered by 1, if you buy one. But if he has a horse someone likes, and you think the price is fair, then buy it.
    Yep. That's why I don't really give him props for being a good guy and making the effort to market some of them for more than meat price. I'd rather no horse fetched an inflated price to save it from slaughter. Paying ransom prices...and we wonder why there aren't more homes.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    I haven't read through all the replies but....I'm not seeing an issue, unless there's a backstory. Look, the guy is going to ship them anyway. At least he is giving some a chance, and yes, he should make a profit. And it doesn't appear to be a big one.

I like that you can see the horse before purchasing. I see the ones where it's $800 for a horse you've only seen a picture of. Eh, no thanks for me.
    It's not like horses have not changed hands for far more money on nothing but a few pictures....

I am sure there is a trader near you with a similar business model.

(and here we go again...what a meany, selling cheap horses)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Have to say he has decent descriptions and reasonable prices.

Wish they weren't listed as "rescues", but if that is what moves the horses, have at it.
    The first page of the website lays everything out there. I would MUCH prefer to get a super cheapy from someone who is up front and honest than from someone who is full of BS. ( One of those 'dealer masquerading as rescue for the sake of 'image,' set ups. )

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Yep. That's why I don't really give him props for being a good guy and making the effort to market some of them for more than meat price. I'd rather no horse fetched an inflated price to save it from slaughter. Paying ransom prices...and we wonder why there aren't more homes.
    Oh, God. Crikey.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

3 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Oh, God. Crikey.
    I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom.

I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom.
    Maybe it's because I'm tired from the weekend, but, what IS it with someone who makes money with horses is considered 'bad'. Who weeds out the nutters, ascertains their talents and piles on a bit of profit?? Good Lord. I truly, truly do not understand what the noise is about. Ransom?? HA!! You bet I'd 'ransom' a horse for $300 which I paid $100 for, after finding out the sucker can pack a beginner and go down a trail or you could pasture rope on it. D*mn straight I would!! Matter of fact, I USED TO DO THIS VERY THING. It was my BUSINESS and I MADE MONEY off of horses!! The horrors!!

Okay, coffee is kicking in and I'm doing better. Thank you very much.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm tired from the weekend, but, what IS it with someone who makes money with horses is considered 'bad'. Who weeds out the nutters, ascertains their talents and piles on a bit of profit?? Good Lord. I truly, truly do not understand what the noise is about. Ransom?? HA!! You bet I'd 'ransom' a horse for $300 which I paid $100 for, after finding out the sucker can pack a beginner and go down a trail or you could pasture rope on it. D*mn straight I would!! Matter of fact, I USED TO DO THIS VERY THING. It was my BUSINESS and I MADE MONEY off of horses!! The horrors!!

Okay, coffee is kicking in and I'm doing better. Thank you very much.
    ETA: If I were still in the horse biz, I'd like to meet this guy and his wife and forge a working partnership with them, if I lived in the same area. I could have used another pipeline for safe, sane horses. If a horse can survive a sale barn and all the yelling and whatnot going on without losing its' everloving mind, you can pretty well bet it will be an okay horse to swing a leg over!! What is it about this, people don't 'get'??

ETA to ETA: I meant to edit the first post and, got, well, this. Coffee may not be working so hot after all.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Whatev...

I think the attitude of some is clouded by their anti slaughter ideology.
    Just because he is considered a "kill buyer", all and any he may do is just not good, he has to be evil.

The way I see it, there are many that don't have the foggiest idea how the horse world works, similar to those that think milk comes from a carton in the store, who needs cows?

Yes, there is a lower end to the horse world, that handles poorly bred and raised and trained horses and those that for many reasons end up not being wanted by those that use "more" horse for what they do with horses.

From that lower world is where so much of the activity in horses comes from.
    Those traders are the ones that many get their start in horses from, buying a horse from them to play with on the weekends, their kids and friends riding down the bar-ditch, eventually maybe participating in their little riding clubs and their playdays, etc.

Many trail riding stables renting horses to the public, the lower end riding schools with a few schoolies, all those are part of those trader's world they sell to and buy from.

I think that horse world in fact may have a bigger number of participant that the ones with registered horses and learning, training and competing seriously with their fancier, better trained horses, the better, more expensive barns with the higher end, talented and costlier horses, running at the serious money in their competitions.

That lower tier of the horse world is very large and some go then from that to the better barns and horses.
    That lower horse world goes thru many horses, those traders are the ones that buy, evaluate and sell them to the appropriate markets and yes, one of those is slaughter for some of those traders, for SOME of those horses that don't have any other place to be sold to, for a myriad of reasons.

Those traders experience and knowledge of horses and the horse world, their eye for what a horse may be best at doing and where it can fit best, who can use it, once those horses have been sold to the highest bidder and they bought it, as a trainer told me long ago, those traders are many such horse's last chance.

I don't think the horse industry would work without them.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think the attitude of some is clouded by their anti slaughter ideology.
    Just because he is considered a "kill buyer", all and any he may do is just not good, he has to be evil.

The way I see it, there are many that don't have the foggiest idea how the horse world works, similar to those that think milk comes from a carton in the store, who needs cows?

Yes, there is a lower end to the horse world, that handles poorly bred and raised and trained horses and those that for many reasons end up not being wanted by those that use "more" horse for what they do with horses.

From that lower world is where so much of the activity in horses comes from.
    Those traders are the ones that many get their start in horses from, buying a horse from them to play with on the weekends, their kids and friends riding down the bar-ditch, eventually maybe participating in their little riding clubs and their playdays, etc.

Many trail riding stables renting horses to the public, the lower end riding schools with a few schoolies, all those are part of those trader's world they sell to and buy from.

I think that horse world in fact may have a bigger number of participant that the ones with registered horses and learning, training and competing seriously with their fancier, better trained horses, the better, more expensive barns with the higher end, talented and costlier horses, running at the serious money in their competitions.

That lower tier of the horse world is very large and some go then from that to the better barns and horses.
    That lower horse world goes thru many horses, those traders are the ones that buy, evaluate and sell them to the appropriate markets and yes, one of those is slaughter for some of those traders, for SOME of those horses that don't have any other place to be sold to, for a myriad of reasons.

Those traders experience and knowledge of horses and the horse world, their eye for what a horse may be best at doing and where it can fit best, who can use it, once those horses have been sold to the highest bidder and they bought it, as a trainer told me long ago, those traders are many such horse's last chance.

I don't think the horse industry would work without them.
    it would be a rude awakening for some people when that segment of the industry was to fall away....

Well, this once-upon-a-time lower end horse trader (that would be me) happened upon a registered QH mare for $400 at an auction, who was sold to a local barn whose owner dabbled in the big time. The mare went through some training, placed in the top ten at the World/Congress or whatever it was in OK City. Then sold to someone in Florida after a bit of campaigning for lower five figures. I ended up with her filly she dropped in the middle of the night, who turned out was sired by an All American winners' son.... For all I know, that mare is still being shown in Florida and parts north.

Yeah, low end alright.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 25, 2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Correcting some info.

[QUOTE=MoonoverMississippi;6902116]I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom. :rolle
    A colored riding horse that has less than a week to live, that you probably can't try first, and would most likely be free if it was on CL and not on a dealer's lot...yeah I'd call it a ransom.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Boy people will nit pick at everything. At least he is not tossing them in the desert. I do not understand people, he is making an honest living, and it sounds from what someone posted he takes decent care of the ones on his lot.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=MandyVA;6902538]
    I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom. :rolle
    A colored riding horse that has less than a week to live, that you probably can't try first, and would most likely be free if it was on CL and not on a dealer's lot...yeah I'd call it a ransom.
    In my area there are no free horses on CL...and they want as much money for the others as this fellow...varying mileage...

Seems to me the guy is upfront about his business model and policies. He is not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, which given some other outfits is refreshing. The prices seemed reasonable, the descriptions concise and to the point. If a few horses get new homes this way, I say fine.

4 members found this post helpful.