The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

[QUOTE=MandyVA;6902538]
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    I was somewhat shocked that $300-$400 for a riding horse (colored, no less!) was considered a ransom. :rolle
    A colored riding horse that has less than a week to live, that you probably can't try first, and would most likely be free if it was on CL and not on a dealer's lot...yeah I'd call it a ransom.
    Why couldn't you try them? Show up on his doorstep, saddle and blanket in hand, put a bridle on and swing aboard. That's all there is to it?? Now, if you want to try-out for a month, good luck with that one. We're talking a few hundred dollar horse here. I've had them where someone balked at buying a nice inexpensive horse and sold them to someone else before the first buyer got back to town. I think if you can't take a chance on a few hundred dollar horse, then maybe you (not YOU-you, the general 'you') should stick to $$ horses with a warranty. There are plenty of diamond in the roughs out there, you just have to know how to sort through.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Well, this once-upon-a-time lower end horse trader (that would be me) happened upon a registered QH mare for $400 at an auction, who was sold to a local barn whose owner dabbled in the big time. The mare went through some training, placed in the top ten at the World/Congress or whatever it was in OK City. Then sold to someone in Florida after a bit of campaigning for lower five figures. I ended up with her filly she dropped in the middle of the night, who turned out was sired by an All American winners' son.... For all I know, that mare is still being shown in Florida and parts north.

Yeah, low end alright.
    Right, needing one more pony horse for the race track, this one trader brought us a really big, nice sabino gelding to try and in his trailer was this scrawny, half arabian, half paint 7/8 year old grey gelding.
    When I asked about him, he was going to slaughter, because he was flipping with people and almost killed the last person that tried to ride him, as he was roping out of the box and he flipped on top of him, crippling him seriously.

I was very young and of course wanted to try him and convinced the trader to let me do so and that ended up being one of the best cowhorses and pony horse for young colts we ever had and just a wonderful horse to have around.
    He never reared for us.

There are all kinds of horses those traders handle and some times, one just finds the right place by happenstance, as ours and yours did.

I'd like to get back to the point someone made about the demand for horsemeat. The point was – horses saved from the kill pen would be replaced by other horses. Do we know this for sure? Is there really this magical quota that kill buyers are struggling to meet? I'd like to see some sort of proof of this. I think it's a business. The horses will move where they will move, be it private homes or riding schools or
    slaughter.

But let's say I'm wrong, and the 25 horses evaluated and placed in private homes really are replaced by 25 other horses. Let's multiply this out into the hundreds. Wouldn't the efforts of the kill buyer to find homes mean that the quality and usability of those going to slaughter would be reduced? In other words if 500 horses passed through the kill buyer's gate in a year, and half of them went to slaughter wouldn't it be better if it were the half that was less likely to be sane, useful riding horses?

Our local kill buyer does make horses in the kill pen available for private buyers. He makes a good profit on the ones he sells. I've seen no eagerness on his part to get in more more more horses so that he has enough to send to kill. Why would he, when it is quicker, easier and more profitable to find homes for them?
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

2 members found this post helpful.

At least with this guy you can see photos of it being ridden and a description. On the "the truck is coming" pages, they give their best guess description and if the horse was led through, oh well. I give them props for trying but I couldn't take that risk.

We have a trader here who does something similar. I'm betting she's not making big bucks on each horse. Theres a market for the kind of horses she is selling, so good for her.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    At least with this guy you can see photos of it being ridden and a description. On the "the truck is coming" pages, they give their best guess description and if the horse was led through, oh well. I give them props for trying but I couldn't take that risk.

We have a trader here who does something similar. I'm betting she's not making big bucks on each horse. Theres a market for the kind of horses she is selling, so good for her.
    If I had to choose which horse to buy, the led through horse or the horse at a KB's lot that I could ride and eyeball and feel legs and so forth, I'll go to the KB's lot.

Another thing, I made more money on the cheap, inexpensive horse (less than $1200) than the expensive ones. A friend once asked me to sell his $15K gelding and I thought I'd hit the big time! After hanging on to the horse for a good six months, if not longer because I don't remember the time frame but it was a long time, he took him back and did something with him, don't know what. The gelding was worth a mint, had a show record, sound, sane, a looker, just no buyers. So, back to the low end spectrum and making money.

The more horses out there, the more the feed store can sell feed and brushes, saddles and supps.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 26, 2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I feel like this is common practice... that sounds like the situation my horse came from. A dealer buys a bunch of young cheap horses at auction, then has a cowboy "train" them--i.e. puts a saddle on each one and rides it in an arena with a big pile of sawdust in the middle, so he can steer toward that to slow them down if they buck. If they flip out or turn up lame, he sends them up to Canada; if they seem quiet, he sells them as "green broke."

I am sure glad that my horse is quiet and tolerant by nature. And while the whole process may be shady, and I'm sure the main motivation for such dealers/KBs is profit rather than empathy for the horses, I'm at least glad that my horse and others like him got an opportunity for a second chance rather than just being sent straight to slaughter.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

What's wrong with this anyway? The horse rescue groups do the same thing and many people idolize them for it. Many times, the horse rescues euthanize horses they can't rehome. The KB sends horses he can't rehome to the SH. End result is the same! If you don't believe it, check it out!
    https://sites.google.com/site/dontkillourhorses/

Slaughter horses enter Canada under two different health certificates. The whole truck is given one health cert and sealed and they must go directly to the slaughter plant and be killed within 96 hours.

The others have individual health certs. (many sell their horses with them in auctions hoping for a better opportunity for the horse)

There are dealers who have an agreement with the slaughter plant and they will check horses out.

Theyi buy many of them and put some more training on them Or freshen them up and they resell. They make a lot more money on reselling than on slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    They buy many of them and put some more training on them Or freshen them up and they resell. They make a lot more money on reselling than on slaughter.
    Your math is wrong on that. If they send a minimum of one truck load ( average 35 horses) per week at approx. $ 15,000 per load that's a whole lot for much less work.

George Baker on February 18th, 2013 sent 100 horses to Mexico. He received payment of over $ 50,000 for those loads.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

And I am disappointed he has not added any horses to the three on his website after buying so many last Friday. And here it is Friday, again. And another Sugarcreek auction.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I think the only thing I object to is the use of the word "rescue".

That poor word has gotten so much baggage, it used to be a verb. Now it's a noun. It's a person, place and animal. It's a warehouse, a clearing house, a hell house and a gateway. It's a money pit, a loophole, a life line, a cash cow, a losing battle, a drop in the bucket and the thing that made a difference for this one.

But I can't imagine on what green planet you can set up a worded dynamic that you propose that other people rescue horses from the threat of yourself. That is just so wacked.

Call yourself a dealer, a broker, a feedlot, a stopover, a station there has got to be a word... anything- but please, not a rescue.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Your math is wrong on that. If they send a minimum of one truck load ( average 35 horses) per week at approx. $ 15,000 per load that's a whole lot for much less work.

George Baker on February 18th, 2013 sent 100 horses to Mexico. He received payment of over $ 50,000 for those loads.
    Read again please. SOME kbuyers (not all) check the horses OR others go to the plant and purchase if there is something of value. I have had the buyers tell me when they find a horse with possibilities it sells for a lot more than what they would make off THAT horse going to slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I think the only thing I object to is the use of the word "rescue".

That poor word has gotten so much baggage, it used to be a verb. Now it's a noun. It's a person, place and animal. It's a warehouse, a clearing house, a hell house and a gateway. It's a money pit, a loophole, a life line, a cash cow, a losing battle, a drop in the bucket and the thing that made a difference for this one.

But I can't imagine on what green planet you can set up a worded dynamic that you propose that other people rescue horses from the threat of yourself. That is just so wacked.

Call yourself a dealer, a broker, a feedlot, a stopover, a station there has got to be a word... anything- but please, not a rescue.
    If he rescues and saves ONE that qualifies.

There are so many rescues that are just around to milk the pocketbooks of the gullible or the misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    So you'd prefer if he didn't offer the horses for sale and just sent them all to slaughter.

Ok. Gotcha.
    They do not realize that he will make a better profit selling these horses, after a quick evaluation to be sure they are reasonably sound and sane.Anything that is not in that category will go in the "down the road" pen.

Dealers have been doing it since there were horse dealers.

But of course, no one here bought a cheap horse, polished it, and sold it at a profit.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.