The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whichever one fits and whichever one you'll wear.

As others have said before, the best helmet is the one that fits your head the best. That being said, I just purchased a One K Defender and I absolutely love it. I like it a lot more than the Charles Owen I bought a few years ago that I've hardly ever worn because it's too tight on my head (and was fitted to me at the tack store). It's really comfortable and has great ventilation.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Charles Owen GR8 that LOVE! COs fit my head perfectly and they look nice too.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I just got UVEX Carbon Fiber. Love it. So light. I haven't ridden in it yet. Can't wait to .

Thanks for all your feed back. I really appreciate it. I don't have a local tack store that I can go to try on helmets. They only carry the plastic schooling type so I may just have to order and do the trial and error approach till I find one I like.

I always rode in a CO and liked it. It was comfortable, but hot in the summer. I splurged quite a bit last fall and got a KEP. I'd originally seen them only worn by a few riders. Sinead Haplin comes to mind. Anyways, sold a horse and bought a helmet. I love it. It's really light and airy, while not looking bulky on my head. I do get a lot of compliments from it which sure doesn't hurt.
    I hate to add as well, I feel unfairly riders are judged by what helmets they wear. Almost as if the more expensive your helmet is the better rider you are perceived to be. Which in some cases you can assume, if you have more funds to spend on a helmet you also have more funds to spend on training and your horse.
    I was very lucky in that I did not try it on, ordering based on my CO size, and it fit.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by pwrpfflynn View Post
    Thanks for all your feed back. I really appreciate it. I don't have a local tack store that I can go to try on helmets. They only carry the plastic schooling type so I may just have to order and do the trial and error approach till I find one I like.
    Just a word of caution - make sure you read and are clear on certain stores' refund and exchange policies as it pertains to helmets - some don't let you return or exchange them due to the fact that you could have damaged the helmet in the time that it was in your care, making it unsaleable.

I like the GPA air speed

The one that best fits your head, and best fits your pocketbook.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I have 2 different helmets, the First Lady and the CO GR8. I absolutley love my FL for showing in hot Climates, and my gr8 for schooling. It really depends on what helmet fits your head. Try not to get a melon-head. The speed airs and ayr8 have great venilation. I've also heard great things about Samsheild! Just try on multiple different helmets and see which fits you! every helmet is different, as is every person.

They all have to pass the same certification standards, so, once again, whichever one fits your head best is the one you should buy.

But I sure love my CO Gr8.

I love my One K Defender in Suede with built-in sunglasses. I have pretty sun-sensitive eyes and I often ride indoors and then go for a trail ride outside or warm up outside and show inside so having the built-in sunglasses is completely awesome. In addition, the price was reasonable, it fits my head perfectly, the liner is washable, and it looks great!