The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, exactly how long should a dressage coat be?

I was given a really beautiful Pikeur dressage coat that was outgrown. I love it but I have a feeling it may be a tad long for me. Long, as in, I can sit on the tails when I'm in the saddle. I come from H/J land and I have no idea how a dressage coat is supposed to fit but I don't think I should be sitting on tails. Maybe I'm wrong? I have attached links to pictures of the coat on me. Its hard to tell, but in the last picture, the tails are over the back of the saddle. The coat comes just below my butt when I'm standing which is shown in the first picture. What do you think? Is there hope to have it tailored or is it just plain too big?

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Fl...ator1/library/
    Last edited by Florida Gator; Mar. 23, 2013 at 06:19 PM.

dressage coats tend to vary in length, and it's up to you to choose the length that's flattering to you. I think this coat looks very good on you, it complements your long slender legs nicely.

Aw thanks

You don't think it looks odd when I'm sitting in the saddle? I just have no idea and I haven't been to a dressage show in years so I have no idea what people are wearing and how things should fit.

I have one about that length and it drives me crazy! I keep sitting on it in the saddle and it keeps me from moving. Ride in it once and if it does that to you have it shortened so it just touches the saddle when you are sitting.

Great idea, Galloping Granny! I'll have to do that.

My older Pikeur fit just like yours. Back then (maybe 5 years ago) everyone wore the longer frocks, and I just would pull the "tails" out periodically--because yes I could sit on them occasionally.

Now I have 2 "short" coats, which is a newer style out in the last couple of years (like the Pikeur Scarlet). I love these--personal preference, though. Almost anything goes these days, FWIW, my second coat I bought with longer flaps and had it custom-shortened. LOVE IT!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

1 members found this post helpful.