The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Default For those of you with water jumps...

What is your water source? If you are piping it to the jump, what size pipe did you use? How did you locate your pipe so that it wasn't a hazard? How did you design this so the volume of incoming water did not disturb your footing?

When we put my water jump in we ran an underground line to a nearby hydrant. The underground line come up through a swirl tube next to the bank in the water jump. I turn the water on, it comes up into the tube, the tube disperses the water so it doesn't make a rut. We also dug down & tied a pipe into a nearby field tile so I can put a plug in, turn on the water & it fills over night. When we're done I can pull the plug & drain the basin so it doesn't get all ick.

The way our CC course was laid out put the water jump in close proximity to the back yard/water faucet at the house. We just ran a garden hose from a 3/4 inch water line at the back yard. I put a clean muck basket in the water jump and the hose in that so the water flowed equally over the sides of the basket like a mushroom. Even with the hose running wide open it did not disturb the footing. Obviously we removed the muck basket and hose before using the jump!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Ours is just filled with rain water, which works just fine 10-11 months out of the year. We get just enough rain that there's usually at least SOME water in it. People do call ahead in the summer to make sure there is water.

We do have the capability to fill it with a water tank trailer, and will pump from one of our ponds, but we only do that if we have a clinic scheduled and no water.

Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Thanks everyone. I've been using Mother Nature to fill ours, but we were hoping to host a clinic this summer, & our water evaporates pretty quickly in the summer months. Great ideas. Crosscreeksh- how many hours does it take to fill using a hose? Are you using a well, & if so, are you worried about burning up your pump?

fyi: There are 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot. Calculate the area of your pool and multiply by the desired depth to determine the volume of your pool. This certainly should not harm a healthy pump no matter how large your pool, but might exceed the water capacity available if your aquifer is weak, particularly in dry times. (which might be what you mean by "burning up the pump"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Romahorse View Post
    Thanks everyone. I've been using Mother Nature to fill ours, but we were hoping to host a clinic this summer, & our water evaporates pretty quickly in the summer months. Great ideas. Crosscreeksh- how many hours does it take to fill using a hose? Are you using a well, & if so, are you worried about burning up your pump?
    As I recall....we turned the hose on at bed time and the jump was full by morning. We had a well back then, but never any problems with the pump straining. DH did a REALLY nice job building our complex (Outside of So. Pines, NC). We picked a spot that tended to hold water - puddle - after heavy rain. DH dug down til he hit a clay base, built a wooden, revelleted box about the area (we had walk in/walk out, walk in/jump out, and jump in/jump out options) put down and secured a "freebie" pool liner we got, covered the liner with stone dust/screenings, so the water lasted well and the footing stayed good. The water level stayed pretty good, even in the summer.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma