The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question So, who has shown an AQHA horse in dressage and got the AQHA points?

I recently got a new appendix QH colt that I will be showing/training for dressage. He is just going to be a "fun" horse to play with but I would like to get his points if I can. I have been out of the AQHA stuff for so long and the AQHA site was not very helpful. Has anyone here done it? How do you find out which shows are eligible? He is only 2 so I have plenty of time but I thought I would try to see what was available in my area....Georgia. TIA!!

Default Hmmmm...

This does not look promising. Maybe there is not much happening with the AQHA and dressage. I was afraid of that. Oh well, we are still going to have fun.

Its depends on where you live. You go to a regular dressage show.....but I believe the show has to pay a fee to AQHA, plus the judge has to be an AQHA member, etc. They did not make it easy. When I had my AQHA mare here in NJ there were no shows that participated. It has nothing to do with going to an AQHA show....those still do not have dressage classes.
    If you want to know more about it call them, don't depend on their site which has really nothing on it. No one is really promoting this successfully. Another person to contact is Lynn Palm , she is showing AQHA dressage successfully.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

I would suggest contacting your GMO's in your area to see if any offer shows affiliated (or whatever its called) with AQHA. I know the GMO I'm a member of does, and they have approx 8-12 shows where AQHA owners can earn points. However, the info on this isn't displayed very well. I would email, or call, the board members of your local GMO.

We haven't had any luck finding AQHA shows here in Northern Virginia. The closest ones seem to be in North Carolina. We pretty much gave up on that and just take the mare to USDF licensed shows in the area. We are participating in the USDF All Breeds program. It is held in conjunction with AQHA and USDF and it allows her to compete against other quarter horses to. So far, we have been happy with how she did last year at Training level as far as being competitive.

Default Thanks guys......

I will look into the USDF All Breed program. I had planned to speak with the show establishment where I will do a lot of my showing. They were very helpful when I showed my APHA stallion, Windell, with all the paperwork for his Outside Activies Program with APHA. That was SO EASY, I really don't understand why AQHA had to put the 'Judge rule' in there....that single handedly stopped the program from getting off the ground. Thanks again.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just heard this discussion from the horse show end (Kentucky Dressage Association). Show Chair was asking if there were enough AQHA people entering to make it worth while for the show to pay those extra fees. If there was enough riders, yes the show would go ahead and do it, but if not, it would likely be a lot of money spent for little gain.
    Moral of the story, let Show Management know how many people planning on attending would benefit from AQHA points. If there are enough people, the show will likely try to accommodate you.

When I was a runner volunteer at a show in Williamson NC there was a guy from Raleigh that was showing a beautiful AQHA mare. She was doing 4th I think, that was years ago but she did very well placing either 1st or 2nd most of the time. It is not hopeless! Any horse can do anything it wants to do, if it is not interested in the job you are offering it, listen and change the job I have seen belgians doing barrel racing, clydesdales jumping 2' 9", quarter horses doing dressage, etc etc. The best you can do is try.

There's a group on Facebook dedicated to this here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Thanks a bunch

I'll get to doing my homework. I appreciate the help.

I've had a lot of success showing my appendix gelding in dressage the last few years. We've won two USDF All-Breeds awards, an AQHA year end High Point and AQHA Regional Championship. We've also earned 31 AQHA which pays $$ since he's in the Incentive Fund. Luckily we have a lot of approved shows in North Texas. Let me know if you have any questions. We're proof that Quarter Horses can be competitive in Dressage.

Adding to this older thread an AQHA press release about the first AQHA horse to earn points at the Prix St Georges level. http://www.aqha.com/Showing/News-Art...h-Vantage.aspx
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

You should talk to Michelle Williams in Georgia (read linked article above). She and A Cash Vantage are a super combination and very inspiring.

I've been successful in contacting a few show organizers and asking them to get AQHA approval for me. I've sent emails to the show secretaries and/or managers and told them that I would only be attending the show if it meant my horse could get AQHA points. Some have ignored the request, but a couple have actually done it and have been thankful that I reached out. We were able to earn 15 points last year at Training Level, and have earned 10.5 so far this season at First Level (with two more weekends of showing coming up in August). Since he is Incentive Funded, earning points at First Level is really exciting (no payouts for Training Level points). I really hope the AQHA dressage program takes off and more shows become approved. It is nice to be rewarded for having a QH with big gaits! Mine would never fit in at the AQHA shows.....

Default Finding AQHA shows

I usually start with the USDF site to find shows that I am interested in attending and then checking the prizelist to see if that show is AQHA-recognized. I don't have as much success with looking at the AQHA site first since it varies on how updated it is. I have also contacted show secretaries and managers to ask whether they know about the program and whether they would consider getting AQHA approval. I'm in Region 4 (USDF) so findings enough shows is a challenge! I used to be in Region 1 and more shows were getting on board. No experience with GA. There is info on the FB page that should help.

There are very few AQHA approved dressage shows in GA. The ones that we go to are in Chipley, Florida and there is one in South Carolina. Poplar has some that are AQHA approved I do believe.

I've been thoroughly unsuccessful at getting show mgrs to register with AQHA. The AQHA has really relaxed the registration process and I've offered to pay the fee, but I think the concern is that show secretaries or mgrs need to become AQHA members. And they don't want to.

So looks like I'll be doing all breeds. I'm in No CA, so there are plenty of shows, I just haven't had any luck getting shows to sign up.

A couple of the shows that I asked said that when they begged AQHA to let them try it this year without being members, that AQHA agreed and waived that fee. It can't hurt for the show managers to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by feuerkracher View Post
    A couple of the shows that I asked said that when they begged AQHA to let them try it this year without being members, that AQHA agreed and waived that fee. It can't hurt for the show managers to ask....
    Doesn't hurt to talk to AQHA to see if they'll work with you. Also, I have been the 'contact' for one of our shows since I'm an AQHA member already so that saves someone else having to get AQHA membership. Also, talk to AQHA even if it is less than the 120 days prior to the show (as listed on the Show approval form) since they have worked with me on that timing in the past. The sooner you can encourage shows to give it a try the better I think and try to work with them to help promote it to other AQHA exhibitors since that will convince the show that it was 'worth it' if it increases their entries!

Nautical, that has been my experience as well. AQHA was very willing to work with the 3 organizers that I was able to convince to give it a try. They waived membership requirements and the 120 days prior rule. It can't hurt to try, but definitely call and talk to them, since my experience has been much better through phone conversations than email. Most emails I have sent have not been answered, but AQHA has been more than accommodating when I have called and talked to them.