The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cut out ear headstalls

Has anyone ever used this? Useful? Gimmick?

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

picture? I've used them on western bridles, but english ?

Do you mean cut out crown piece? Cutback crown pieces are popular but most are not cut back as far as I like. This is what I use. It has no padding though. I do not think the cut backs are a gimmick at all. Less pressure toward the ears.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=23291

I am getting a bridle made and am selecting the contoured-ear option because my horse has somewhat bulbous ears and I worry about the crown piece adding pressure up there and making her uncomfortable. I think of it more as being "ergonomic" than "gimmicky."

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    Do you mean cut out crown piece? Cutback crown pieces are popular but most are not cut back as far as I like. This is what I use. It has no padding though. I do not think the cut backs are a gimmick at all. Less pressure toward the ears.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=23291
    This is the most cut back crown piece available on the market!
    I've seen it on horses and it does look odd, but riders (and their horses) really liked the bridle.

Dy'on difference bridle!

If they fit properly, I think they would be great. If they don't, I think they could be annoying (for the horse and then you).

My driving bridle has a pretty deeply set back crown (offset from the rest of the hanging straps) to offer more clearance for the ears. Much deeper than what is shown in that dressageextensions link. A driving bridle is a lot heavier in every way than a riding bridle- and the width of the leather probably allows for more contour without becoming distorted. I think that the cut away crown is commonly found in driving because of the bridle weight, any pinching/pressure is magnified.

For me- it's very practical- not a gimmick at all.