The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was just saying that I think you'd probably see similar behavior if a ring was closed rather than held up for thirty min or whatever waiting on a trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    What exactly is the "ring hold time limit" according to the rules? The rule in question with regards to this thread is the jumper rule where each entry has a specific amount of time between when the buzzer goes off after entering the ring, until the entrant passes through the start timers. This is the rule that was apparently broken by multiple exhibitors at Devon in 1964 in an attempt to protest something. This rule is still in effect today.
    I'm not sure that's true. If you read it again, it says that riders in the protest were disqualified after using up their minute outside the ring, not after entering.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    What exactly is the "ring hold time limit" according to the rules? The rule in question with regards to this thread is the jumper rule where each entry has a specific amount of time between when the buzzer goes off after entering the ring, until the entrant passes through the start timers. This is the rule that was apparently broken by multiple exhibitors at Devon in 1964 in an attempt to protest something. This rule is still in effect today.
    The rule today is that if you don't cross the start line within 45 seconds of the audible signal, the time starts on your round. So you may end up with time faults even if you're going fast. The rule used to be that you were eliminated if you did not cross the start line within 45 seconds, but it was changed a few years ago.

I would not automatically assume that all other rules are the same as they were almost 50 years ago.

Loved the story.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    The rule today is that if you don't cross the start line within 45 seconds of the audible signal, the time starts on your round. So you may end up with time faults even if you're going fast. The rule used to be that you were eliminated if you did not cross the start line within 45 seconds, but it was changed a few years ago.

I would not automatically assume that all other rules are the same as they were almost 50 years ago.
    Thanks for the clarification - I was not alive in 1964 (close but no cigar!). I genuinely make an effort not to assume anything.

My point still stands - I don't understand the point of the way the "protest" was handled at Devon in 1964, and I'm sure that if we saw a similar "protest" today, the fossils who post here would come out in full force to make fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    You'd probably get a revolt like this today if show mgmt. ever enforced the ring hold time limit. Can just imagine how some trainers would react if they were shut out of a class because show mgmt. decided not to hold everything up just for them.

Sad but true.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Great find ! I wish I known Kathy Kusner in her younger days and still would love to meet her. Many years ago, we met an old sailor who was docked next to us at the marina. He was also one of those fearless follow-your-bliss types. Turns out he had been good friends with Kathy and, one rainy afternoon, regaled us us with stories about her when he heard I was a rider. He said she was the most fearless woman he'd ever known

This is too good to be true. I kept looking for a masthead for The Onion, or a byline from Andy Borowitz.

The issues of poling and not wearing hats in the ring -- if those 2 things were not forbidden in the rule book, then the riders had every right to be angry.

I know that, as late at 1978, poling was still an accepted method of training a horse. I cannot rmember when wearing a hard hat became mandatory.

I especially liked McDevitt saying "another $4 wasted" when a pole would break. Ahhhhhhh, those were the days when $4 could actually buy a jump pole.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    What amazes me the most is that SPORTS ILLUSTRATED used to write articles about horse shows!!!!! Can you imagine that being the case today?

I did thoroughly enjoy the article. Would love to read the follow up and find out what happened to the protestors.
    Only if we wore bikinis

Quote Originally Posted by Sueby View Post
    Only if we wore bikinis
    Hey, it might give people some sort of incentive to get in better shape!!

This was great! Thanks for sharing.
    The truth is always in the middle.

According to the owner of the barn where I keep my horse, this was crazier than the article says, and it was something that was building for some time. The BO was sitting on the fence with Benny's brother and Chapot's pole guy, and he feels, even to this day, it was warranted. It seems that the AHSA and the SPCA had it out for O'Meara, and things just escalated. Additionally, the SPCA even showed up at the Garden to try and prevent O'Meara from going into the ring. He "jumped" over the guy, rode into the ring, and won the class.
    This wouldn't even begin to fly today.
    \"Insist on yourself; never imitate.\" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    The rules should be applied (or not applied, as the case may be) to everyone. But, I think it would have been far classier for everyone involved if they chose to take an early evening and just stayed back in the barns and didn't show up at all than to cause pandemonium by pulling the shenanigans they did. JMHO.
    Classier, yes, but it was the sixties! Completely fit with the times.

I feel like this is The Show Gypsies IRL.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits