The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling a Saddle on Consignment

When selling a brand new saddle (never ridden, only tried on the horse) what kind of price would you expect the saddle to be listed at? New the saddle sells for $2300+, on Ebay, there are 2 listed at $1899 and $1995 but there are a couple of closeouts being offered (in a smaller size and only 1 per size) at a very low price. Would you expect it to be consigned at the closeout prices or expect it to be listed at something closer to the new price but not full new price. Again, this is a new saddle.
    Last edited by js; Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

How long have the other two been on eBay at those prices? Have you looked at other consignment shops (Trumbull Mountain, etc.) to see if they're selling saddles comparable to yours and if so, at what prices? I had three saddles on consignment with a local shop for over a year with no takers. I finally brought them home to list on eBay, and sold one yesterday for about half of what it is really worth. It's going to depend on the name brand, the tree/seat size, and whether someone looking for that particular combination has the money at the moment to buy it. Talk to the shop and see what they recommend.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

The higher priced ones have been listed about 2 weeks? Haven't seen any being sold used anywhere else but a comparable saddle I've seen selling used around $1495 but those are used with signs of wear. I'm not expecting new price but not low closeout price either. One shop came back with the closeout price to list it at, minus 25% commission I'm taking a huge loss.

If you are putting the saddle with a consignment shop, which is how I'm reading this, maybe ask them what they think of pricing it. They should have a good idea of the market. You could also check around on actual consignment websites, not just ebay, and see how pricing is there. Not everyone sells on eBay.

ETA looks like you were adding to the thread as I posted. You could list on eBay or other sites yourself first and see how it goes. Then you don't have to pay the consignment commission but would have eBay fees.

Original Poster

Is it tactless to ask a consignment what they would consign it for "hypothetically" without seeing the saddle. I did send it to a consignment shop and they are giving me the low closeout price to list it at, that isn't setting well with me and I'm thinking of asking them to send the saddle back but then I've just wasted $100 on shipping costs. They only looked at the 3 low prices on Ebay and based their consignment price on that, I don't know why they didn't consider the other 2saddles being priced higher or the new price tack shops list it for.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Is it tactless to ask a consignment what they would consign it for "hypothetically" without seeing the saddle. I did send it to a consignment shop and they are giving me the low closeout price to list it at, that isn't setting well with me and I'm thinking of asking them to send the saddle back but then I've just wasted $100 on shipping costs. They only looked at the 3 low prices on Ebay and based their consignment price on that, I don't know why they didn't consider the other 2saddles being priced higher or the new price tack shops list it for.
    You could send photos first to see what they think a fair price would be and whether they can sell it (some are picky about about brands and condition). That wouldn't be as expensive or frustrating as sending the saddle itself.

I always try to sell on one of the discipline specific boards first (no commission) and then eBay.

You have to decide whether you want a quick sale (and will accept a lower price) or whether you are willing to hang on to the saddle and wait for a higher price.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

A general rule of thumb that many shops follow is to divide the new price by half and go up or down depending on condition.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some brands, though very good quality, may not have the name recognition and therefore won't attract the same number of buyers as bigger names (County, Hennig, etc.). Check out some of the other sites for selling saddles (there are threads here on COTH about them) and see if that might be a more viable option for you.

On the other hand, if you need to sell it in order to buy another saddle, some tack shops do trade-ins. You still won't get anywhere near what it's worth, but you won't have to deal with selling it, either.

Another thing that figures into the price of a consignment saddle is how popular the seat size and tree width are. For example, a 17.5" medium-wide will likely be an easier sell than a 16" narrow or a 19" xxxw. Some other "tough sells" are brown dressage saddles, black jump saddles, plain flaps and saddles that don't have knee or thigh blocks.

Original Poster

The saddle is an 18" with XCH gullet, soft touch flocking, while the brand may limit it's popularity, nothing else about it would. I should have done a little more research to find the best market to sell it in. Lesson learned.

I guess I'm the suspicious type, but if something was being advertised as brand new, only tried on the horse and selling for near full price - I would think something was wrong with it that it couldn't be returned to the place of purchase. For my own sanity, I would purchase directly from a supplier so *I* would have the opportunity to return it if it didn't work on my horse.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I guess I'm the suspicious type, but if something was being advertised as brand new, only tried on the horse and selling for near full price - I would think something was wrong with it that it couldn't be returned to the place of purchase. For my own sanity, I would purchase directly from a supplier so *I* would have the opportunity to return it if it didn't work on my horse.
    I can't return it because it was a gift that was given to me. I didn't ride it as there was no point, once I tried it on the horse it was not a good fit. I'm not expecting or asking to sell it at the new price but I'm not expecting to give it away either as I do have to replace it. I prefer consignment so individuals can be assured that the saddle has been inspected by a second party and is in good condition and not just taking my word for it.

However, feel free to be suspicious, make up your own version of the story to satisfy yourself. It is what it is.
    Last edited by js; Mar. 24, 2013 at 07:27 PM.