The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Painted Stalls - What Color

Our stall fronts are painted. Originally they were brown but they showed dust so I repainted them a light tan. Unfortunately they still show every bit of dust. The insides of the stalls are lined with 3/4" plywood, they have been left as is but are now showing years of grime and stains etc. there is no way to scrub them clean so we are going to replace all the plywood and then I was thinking of painting them also, I would stain, I love the look of stained wood but I'm thinking clean up would be easier on a painted surface. Any suggestions on colors? The barn is not that bright, even with skylights but I'm not opposed to dark colors.

You could stain if that is your preference and then use those marine quality clear varnishes, that will let you wash your walls off with a power washer, just as if it was paint.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

I might consider that but the outside of the stalls are already painted, need paint color suggestions for them.

We have metal stalls and we primed and painted them white.
    After now 9+ years, they need washing, buffing and re-painting again and I think we will go white again, even if it does show much dirt, because of the light it brings to the inside of any space.

We use a spray paint gun, so it is not that hard to do, takes longer to clean the barn and after to clean the paint gun than painting itself.

Our old SW race training barn was white with turquoise and that was a good color, that showed minimal dirt, compared with other colors.

Mine are painted white on the inside. I re-do them every six months- year. (They're brick built.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Mine are painted white on the inside. I re-do them every six months- year. (They're brick built.)
    In Europe, we "whitewashed" most barns every spring and fall.
    Many were stone walls.

I was in a barn once that had this really pretty midtone dusty blue color painted stalls. Seemed to hide a lot of dust and looked really pretty with the black blanket bars, handles, etc they had. It also looked pretty with the wood interior of the stalls. it was more the color you would see in the interior of someones house versus a traditional barn color but was lovely!!

The outside of my barn is a grey blue color with a cream colored trim. The color has held up great and still looks brand new even years later with no cleaning other than rain by Mother Nature!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I am considering staining my barn with sherwin Williams woodscape...either a dusty,grey blue or a sage green.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

When it comes to showing dirt, I have seen several barn red, that is cherry red colored barns, stalls and walls and those don't show dirt at all, but are rather dark in there if red is all you see but some white trim here and there.

That sage green would be an interesting color in a barn, somewhat like our lighter turquoise one was.
    We still have all the race track cabinets, chairs and such painted that color.

The wooden parts of my stalls are painted a light gun metal gray with an oil based paint. I power wash them once a year. The color works because at a glance I can quickly identify if the dark spot on the wall is mud or blood.