The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any ideas for homemade mounting blocks?

I ride with a wonderful trainer and friend. She is 62. She still rides just about everyday. She has had her fair share of falls, including broken bones and now she feels her age is catching up with her.

She rides a beautiful ClydesdalexTB who is about 16.2hh and a 16hh TB.

Included in her injuries was a nasty fall 2 years ago where she broke her hip. She is fine riding but some days it really gives her grief.
    As its her left leg she finds it really hard to mount some days.

Up at the saddling area there is a nice high mounting block for the kids and not-so-limber adults. Mounting here she is fine. In the arena is a smaller mounting block, which is movable.

Today we rode together in the arena as she is bringing the Clydie back into work. She had to dismount to move a couple of horses.
    She had an awful time trying to mount again off the smaller block. Its just the getting her leg in the stirrup part.

SO any ideas for a smallish MOVABLE tall mounting block?
    Preferably homemade??

Thanks

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'm the same age as your friend, and my days of mounting from the ground are past for anything over 13h
    My current horse is 17h+ so no chance of mounting w/o an assist!

What I use is a small aluminum stepladder I keep in my indoor or take with me if I ride outside.
    It helps to have the ability to step up to the top platform, and can be folded and put outside the arena (if there's someone who can do that once I'm up).
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Would it help to mount/dismount on the off side? (BTW, wasn't that in the old British pony club manual, it was equally acceptable to mount near or off side?)

I've seen ladders in the hunt field (huge Percheron). Dont like the idea at all. I'd think about putting canvass between the steps gaps, so a horse couldn't put his leg through the gaps. I don't think I'd use one without a ground person holding it and removing it immediately.

In an arena, maybe skids under the block (but not protruding beyond the block footprint) would work. Then attach a rope so you can pull it around.

Yeah thought about a ladder, could work and is movable. At the moment we use old washing machine insides, the drum bit, even I have trouble mounting off them.
    Would just be worried about her falling off a ladder if said horses decide to move. The great thing about the drum things is they are nice and wide.

I like the mounting block on a skid idea. We move the current blocks around so we can set up new jump courses. So the skidded block wouldnt need to be moved all that often.

I feel her pain! I have blocks in and out of both my indoor and outdoor arenas and I teach my horses from the git go to open gates so I don't have to get off and on! I have log butt ends-sturdy and free but not moveable!

Logs are great! We have several placed at spots where we have to dismount out on trails. Like gates we cant easily open and on either sides of State Highway 1(Main road which travels the length of NZ so lots of traffic).

How about this permanent one and then open gates from the horse to get into the arena?
    I saw this one on a horse ad and kept it for reference, as being close to 70 now, it is hard to get on some days on anything over 14.2 hands.
    If you use any kind of light short ladder, be careful a horse may not move and step in it and get hung up.
    Also, with those, you can add a string and when you are mounted, pull it up by the string and carry it to the edge of the arena to get it out of the way and tie the string there to the fence, to retrieve it to get off again.

Grandma was still riding at 84 and I helped her on a bench, helped her get her foot in the stirrup and pushed her up and once horseback, she could ride with the best of us.
    Dismounting was also hard, but mostly we tried to be back where she could use the bench.
    Her 24 year old horse then was a 15 hands World Ch roping horse and very much unflappable, but still a bit humpy at times.

Just be sure whatever you use is very steady and those such as ladders generally are not:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600_June_10,_2012_037.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	37841  

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    How about this permanent one and then open gates from the horse to get into the arena?
    I saw this one on a horse ad and kept it for reference, as being close to 70 now, it is hard to get on some days on anything over 14.2 hands.
    If you use any kind of light short ladder, be careful a horse may not move and step in it and get hung up.
    Also, with those, you can add a string and when you are mounted, pull it up by the string and carry it to the edge of the arena to get it out of the way and tie the string there to the fence, to retrieve it to get off again.
    Just be sure it is very steady and those such generally are not:

Love that mounting block! But should of mentioned in original post that space and money are an issue as well.

I like the ladder idea though, will have to have a look through the local hardware stores and see if I can find anything suitable.
    Her Clydie will stand patiently while she mounts but her TB is still a TB and has his TB moments!

Agree about the ladder. My BO has a small folding step ladder she brings along in the trailer, but we've used it this winter when it's been nice enough to ride outside. What's nice is that it's a tough plastic - durable, but light. It's similar to this. http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...ct-prod3460669
    A little pricey, but a good choice. Hopefully you can find something similar over there?

The other great thing about it is the top step is nice and wide, so you can get a solid stance. And folds flat, so easy to get out off the way.

OMG, when you read the first review, the gal says she uses it for a mounting block!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Not sure it would be high enough for her, but I love it! Have to have a hunt around for something like this!

If you can find some old milk crates to use, the are great! You can set them up as big as you like. We bound ours together with zip ties. I'd take a pic, but it's buried in the snow out in the riding ring. I even ran ours over with the tractor once, and it held together!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    If you can find some old milk crates to use, the are great! You can set them up as big as you like. We bound ours together with zip ties. I'd take a pic, but it's buried in the snow out in the riding ring. I even ran ours over with the tractor once, and it held together!

Awesome idea!

how about the thing that drops a stirrup down lower than the actual stirrup on the saddle?..........it has a specific name, but it escapes me now..................used for riders with taller horses who cannot mount easily from the ground...............just an extra stirrup on a short leather that attaches to your leather, drops down for mounting, then is pulled up out of the way

I had a garden 6x6 railroad tie cut into 2ft lengths and put one piece under each side of the shorter mounting block....makes it 6" taller.

My guy is a 16.3 OTTB, who has been trained (bribed with carrots) to wait very patiently while mounting until I'm settled in the saddle. (And he was a hum-dinger last year as a greenie). Am lucky to be flexible, but a few pounds over, and 5'6" - some mornings lifting that leg up before coffee will throw me off. The carrots are my insurance while my guy waits for me to get it together. The stool was easier than I expected when I grabbed it the other day.

These other suggestions look great as well!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

this one was at a stable i had boarded at. loved it. had my hubby make one for our current stable.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...er/mountbl.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

We made a two step one from scrap angle iron and expanded metal, but it is a bit heavy and right now, sitting under the overhead gas tank, so I can reach the valve on top to turn it on and off.

Call around to a few manufacturing or industrial-type companies in your area. Ask for the shipping/receiving department. Manufacturers often receive supplies (or ship out products) in wooden crates, like these. I found this pic on a NZ-based packaging company's website, you might call them and maybe they have some off-quality units lying around. Sell the story that it's to help an older gal stay active doing something she loves, despite her injuries.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Don't use any sort of ladder or anything else movable that has spaces big enough for a hoof to go through. I've seen two horses stick legs through step stools and they were NOT AMUSED about wearing something like that on a leg. If your friend is comprimised, a freak out while mounting won't help the situation.

4 members found this post helpful.