The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fly sheets (and zebras??)

So...

Who's going to be brave enough to don their steed in this:
    http://www.bucas.com/products/fly-sh...uzz-off-zebra/

And bravely incur their coaches wrath??

Apparently it's scientifically proven:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16944753

Not going to lie, the concept is interesting... and they do need new flysheets...

Oh my goodness, if I had $170 to spend and needed a new fly sheet I would buy this. I don't care what anyone else says. Love Bucas products, but I'm too happy with my Schneider's fly sheet to replace it just ye...

I've had this thought before.
    Horse flies are sight feeders and zoom in on anything in contrast to the suroundings, like the horse's big brown butt.
    I don't use fly sheets but I've wondered about painting sheets with camo paint,
    or splotching the horse with safe paints, making the horse invisible to the giant bombers ?
    I say I'm going to try it every year but so far have not. Maybe this year. I wish someone would and report back

I got an email from an online store where I've bought items a few weeks ago. It said the zebra stripe would confuse bugs. Well that would be nice. But don't we see zebras on the veld swishing those tails at flies?

And the latest Practical Horseman has an ad also.

We need to ask the Canadian cother who grew up in Africa if the zebras did not have bugs due to confused flies.

And Bucas blankets don't fit my horses very well. They have sun shower sheets and neck cover Upon which I should probably paint either black stripes, or brown stripes, depending on the kind of zebra I want them to be. I might try that on one sheet and neck cover. And on one of our non-Bucas fly masks.

I'd like one in a quarter sheet to keep the bombers away while riding...if it actually works!

if I was in a big show barn well this would be coming home to mamma I loved watching trainers gasp in horror and reveled in their faces turning crimson whenever a student showed up with hot pink polos and a zebra striped saddle pad or vice versa, or other combos I was always one to test the trainers though! I am the one who had hot pink see through glitter bell boots at one point in time.

Zebra stripes on a loud tobiano. Hmmm. Speaking of which, his loud spots don't seem to confuse the flies one bit.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXPony View Post
    if I was in a big show barn well this would be coming home to mamma I loved watching trainers gasp in horror and reveled in their faces turning crimson whenever a student showed up with hot pink polos and a zebra striped saddle pad or vice versa, or other combos I was always one to test the trainers though! I am the one who had hot pink see through glitter bell boots at one point in time.
    Ohhhhh those trainers REALLY need to stop into some of the western barns around here, especially the gaming riders. Neon colors, patterns, glitter, rhinestones, faux fur.... it's wonderful.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Zebras don't get flies? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NxvIU3YL4

From description: The flies are awfully pesty, even at Ngorongoro. This zebra attempts to squash the flies in the dirt.

My fly sheet is hot pink! And I have two zebra blankets, one lime one hot pink.
    My horse is always in bright colours and we love to switch things up everyday, people don't wear the same clothes everyday so why should horses.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Ohhhhh those trainers REALLY need to stop into some of the western barns around here, especially the gaming riders. Neon colors, patterns, glitter, rhinestones, faux fur.... it's wonderful.
    hahaha yeah I had a dressage trainer several years back that was way old school militaristic lets marry hitler type I would love to see her blindfolded then thrown into the fray at a gaming barn, in fact if that were to happen I guarantee we would need a preacher/priest to exercise the demons and 911 to help all of us that would be on the floor immobile I couldn't (and still cant!) get a serpentine to save my life and the color of her face suggested her blood was about evaporated! I still liked her though, she taught me alot.