The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default grrr. toe sore after trim

How many threads have there been on this? This winter horse went a very long time b/f needing a trim. She finally had one Weds, was not overdue by any means, but tonight I went out to ride (wasn't there Weds or Thurs) & she is sore.

I know that one of the lesson horses was sore after one of his trims a while ago. Do I need a new farrier? He has been my horse's farrier her whole life, but only for about the last 8 months for me.
    Last edited by Hippolyta; Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

I'm a little confused as to what you are asking?

Which horse has had this farrier their entire life? Who is new to the farrier? (You, the horse, who?)

Either way I'm not aware of any circumstances when a regular trim should EVER leave a horse sore, for any period of time after. I've known at least one farrier who is quite reputable in the area and has a fair number of clients who simply accept it as a matter of life and give their horses a couple days off after every trim... to me this is not only unacceptable and entirely avoidable, but most likely indicative of a greater problem with the farrier's methods or general understanding of hoof anatomy/modern farrier practices.

For what its worth, I would look for a new farrier before the next trim cycle.
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

I edited to clarify. Farrier is old to my horse, new to me. My question, although it really isn't one, b/c I know the answer, was: do I look for a new farrier?

Really a vent/complaint.

I know there are ppl who think soreness after a trim is normal. I am not one of them.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

If this was the first time this has happened I suggest you not throw the baby out with the bath water. Call the farrier and talk to him about it. See what he says.
    You say that the trim cycle was long this time and that (in your opinion) she was not overdue for a trim. However, the farrier may have seen something different when he was under the horse. So before you do anything rash, communicate. If you want, get back to us with what he said. And, order yourself some Durasole and use it.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is what I was wondering (about the long time btn trims).

It is the first time she has been sore since I have had her, but like I say I have only used him for about 8 months. Previous owner did not ride her enough to notice, I think. the thing is that I think the ppl at this barn think soreness is normal & he is the primary farrier.

I will talk to him, in any case. Thanks for info

This is what I was wondering (about the long time btn trims).

I did have him look at her (twice!) during the long time btn trims b/c it really was taking a long time for her feet to grow. However, like you say I wasn't there & he hadn't seen her in a bit.

It is the first time she has been sore since I have had her, but lI have only used him for about 8 months. Previous owner probably would not have noticed as she wasn't riding horse regularly.

the thing is that I think the ppl at this barn think soreness is normal & he is the primary farrier.

I want it to be ok, because I like the guy & think he is a good horseman, too.

I will talk to him, in any case. Thanks for info

I agree with Rick. Talk to your farrier. While I agree that it's not "normal" to be sore after a trim...certainly not routinely....but sometimes circumstances can set a horse up for problems. Soft feet from very wet weather, long trim cycle, subclnical laminitis are only a few reasons I can think of that a horse can get sore post "normal" trim and it's not necessarily a "trim" mistake. In my experience, the longer you go between trims and the greater the change made at once, the more likely you are to have trouble.

The logical thing to do is to call your farrier and inform him or her that your horse was sore immediately following their last visit. Then decide what to do based on how they respond to your complaint.

If the farrier offers to investigate and do something to remedy the situation, then you may have a keeper.

If the farrier tells you that this is "normal" or blames the horse in any way, then you should send the pretender packing.

One thing for sure, if you don't notify your hoof care provider that your horse is sore after their last visit, then you become the the next horse owner that thinks it is "normal" to just let that sort of thing slide.

Along the lines of the baby/bathwater idea, you might also do some investigating to see if there are other competent farriers in your area. It sounds like you're relatively new to horse ownership. You don't want to get yourself a reputation for being unreasonable about communicating with your care providers and acting rashly on what you think is "right" without doing the courtesy of some communicating and investigating--and possibly learning.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    . . .You don't want to get yourself a reputation for being unreasonable about communicating with your care providers and acting rashly on what you think is "right" without doing the courtesy of some communicating and investigating--and possibly learning.
    Indeed, knowledge and skills are not the only thing shared between farriers.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Indeed, knowledge and skills are not the only thing shared between farriers.
    Yes Indeed!

OP I agree about talking to the farrier, or at least giving it a shot. (If he acts like a defensive ass then drop him like a hot potato. )

I would also give DDB's suggestion of subclinical laminitis a thought. Not saying your horse has it, but to give it a thought.

To ask the obvious question, does the horse look like he was trimmed short? In some cases it can be very obvious just by looking.

One time my TB mare was trimmed by the farrier's apprentice. Man, did he ever trim her short. She was sore, even with shoes all of the way around. Needless to say I called my farrier, told him about the mare and told him that I didn't want the apprentice to work on her anymore.

Lastly, unless your farrier is stalking you on the internet BBs, I so very highly doubt you're going to get a reputation for being unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Yes Indeed!
    This thing with you agreeing with Rick and I is getting really boring . . .

We really should keep the two party system, because . . .

. . . one party a week is NOT ENOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    This thing with you agreeing with Rick and I is getting really boring . . .

We really should keep the two party system, because . . .

. . . one party a week is NOT ENOUGH!
    Well, don't worry too much! I'm sure we'll disagree on something again someday! ;-)

I will see farrier when he comes to barn next week.

She was better on soft ground yesterday.