The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of getting a dove... anyone have any experience?

We already have an African Grey and are very bird knowledgeable but I have never owned a dove. How different is it?

My sister has two 'tumbler' pigeons she keeps as house pets in a large cage in her bedroom (they're from my late grandfather's loft). They're both females and very bonded. They get supervised free time in the room but dont particularly like being handled. They're funny little creatures..I imagine a dove would be very similar?

The ones I'm looking at are ringnecks. The family that breeds them hand raises every baby and they were all VERY friendly when we saw them at a bird show. I was wondering if anyone knew if their personalities varied from other birds? How messy/clean are they? Dusty? Basically wondered if anyone here ever lived with one. The breeders are of course going to say only good things and I've done my net research but nothing beats personal experience.

Is it the same dove as in the video? I LOVE this dove!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZb5oi7xuQ

We have kept ring neck doves as pets for many years, as my husband used to keep a colony of over 500 at Duke University, where he studied hormonal influences on social behavior. We hand raised some so kept them at home, and always had about six or seven adults at home.

They are beautiful birds, and I find their cooing and laughing vocalizations very soothing. (After they copulate, they "laugh"). They are dusty only if they are not given the opportunity to bathe, but if you give them a shallow dish of water, they will happily bathe and that really helps.

The hand raised ones are friendly, and we have had some that are sexually imprinted on human hands. One of them, Albert, was my favorite. He would do the bow-coo courtship display if you waved your hands at him. He lived to be almost thirty years old, and did eventually become a good partner and father. They are a monogamous species and both parents share nest building duties and both share sitting on the eggs and then share the duties of caring for the young.

They are very low-maintenance. Ours never had any health issues.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredacoops View Post

That is the male bow-coo courtship display! My husband can actually imitate this perfectly, which is pretty amusing. Isn't that a lovely sound? Males also do this when nest-soliciting.

Oh my. I fear for that cat's virtue. That bird is courting that cat. Shades of peppy le phew.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes! That looks like the 'wild' colored ringnecks. The family that I'm getting mine from have all different colors and I think the one I'm going to get is a color called 'wild-pied' which just means he/she is the wild color but with white mottling all over. The parents names are Mousse and Truffles! How can you go wrong with sweet names like that! :-) I'm just a bit excited about this... Can you tell?
    Last edited by TwoBrooksFarm; Mar. 23, 2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Dang blasted auto-correct.

Love this video!
    At one point, he was right in kitty's ear - that makes it hard to sleep!

Oh, and if you click 'show more', it states"... !!

"The Sequel: Love over Freedom. A few days after this video was shot, the dove accidently flew out of the house to a tree 400 feet away. We put it's cage and the cat under a cherry tree in the back yard. The cat meowed for a while, the dove flew back to the tree and we were able to get her into her cage and into the house where they were reunited."
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    That is the male bow-coo courtship display! My husband can actually imitate this perfectly, which is pretty amusing. Isn't that a lovely sound? Males also do this when nest-soliciting.
    Houndhill, just have to ask, does hubby coo to you, too?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Houndhill, just have to ask, does hubby coo to you, too?
    Well he used to entertain classes of undergrads with his bow-coo display, but come to mention it, has not yet recently performed for me. I must request a performance, thank you!!

Of corse, one is never quite sure what the correct responses is!

Here is the page my baby can be seen at. He/she is the mouse/truffles baby that is a ay hatched. Last pic in the album.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9629923&type=3

Default Doris the dove

We have a dove that nests in our hanging plant by the door.
    Her name is Doris (because she lives by the door).
    She is very brave. My neighbor was doing some work with a chop saw very close to her and she never left her nest.
    She raised two sets of two babies last year and is came back about a week ago.
    We are very happy to see her.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Lizathenag: I've heard you can tame the wild doves with some patience.

We went to the aviary today and saw my little squeak as well as his/her parents. We are trying to think of a good name. The parents are Mousse and Truffles so we've thought of Lindor, Roche, Ghiradeli, Godiva, etc.

Just curious, will you just be getting one dove?

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound critical, your little squab looks beautiful!! I just wondered, as doves are so monogamous, and we have so enjoyed watching their interactions, why you might not want to get two or more? Even the hand raised ones seem to enjoy one another's company.....but perhaps you are able to provide constant social interaction and relationship?

We really don't want baby doves and since this is not a known sex were going to wait to see what we have. We also already spend lots of time with our African Grey so are quite comfortable playing with our birds daily. I wanted something that even if our daughter gets unsure when handling and the bird bites, she wouldn't get hurt. The doves I'm getting are hand raised and handled many time a day and even if they bite they don't hurt. I can't say the same for my Grey. The main reason for only having one dove though is we don't want 100 doves and from what I've heard they are the rabbits of the bird world so until we know what sex ours is we will just have one. Sorry for the long explaination. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    The doves I'm getting are hand raised and handled many time a day and even if they bite they don't hurt. I can't say the same for my Grey. The main reason for only having one dove though is we don't want 100 doves and from what I've heard they are the rabbits of the bird world so until we know what sex ours is we will just have one. Sorry for the long explaination. :-)
    wouldn't the eggs be rather obvious?
    (& easy to addle)
    Is is possible to add a 2nd dove later & have the birds bond? I assume you'd need to add a young adult re the sexing difficulties.

Anyway, just being curious
    very interested to see photos & follow this story

What we did when we didn't want more doves was either remove the eggs (and then they wouldn't sit on them) or "addle" them, i.e., shake them them vigorously and give them back.

The good thing about birds is that you see the eggs right away and you have two weeks before they hatch into doves.

You should know by about six months if the bird is female, she will lay eggs. My husband used to open them up and look to sex them, but you will know if you just wait.

Yes, they are very gentle birds. I can't recall ever being pecked by one, or if I was, as you say, it wouldn't hurt.

I am sure your dove will be very happy with the amount of social contact it has, and will have a great home. I just enjoy watching them interact, the hand raised ones stay tame and interact peacefully with one another, although there was more of a learning curve as far as them being able to court one another as well as humans, and to learn to be good parents. I bet your daughter would enjoy watching a pair interact.

Are you going to have their cages where the parrot and dove can see and hear each other? If so ,it will be interesting to see how long it takes your African Grey to start cooing and laughing! I wonder if the dove will then start directing courtship behavior to the parrot, and how the parrot will react?

I imagine they would not be able to be out of their cages at the same time, the parrot might make mincemeat out of the dove.....

When does the dove come home? Have you decided on a name yet, love the chocolate theme! Please post pictures when the dove comes home!