The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Parakeets and eggs

I got two parakeets, Paisley and Argyle, in the fall and Argyle died unexpectantly a couple of months later. Paisley, a classic blue parakeet, seemed to do fine for a few weeks and then became more skittish and reactive.

So I decided to buy another parakeet and see if Paisley would settle back into his old self. There were two parakeets at the store and I let myself be talked into taking home two parakeets so one wouldn't be lonesome. Now I had three parakeets, which DH didn't realize until hours after he got home though he walked by their cage multiple times. The grey one I had picked out was named Chevron and the "extra" blue one was named Checkers. Everyone looked to be male (blue ceres) and we developed our routine which included them being called "the boys."

Not too long ago I noticed that Paisley's cere was suddenly brown. A quick research on the internet informed me Paisley's a girl! Okay, so I now have what I think are two males and a female. Did I think to separate them? That answer is no.

Yesterday I came home, greeted my golden retriever, and then greeted the birds. Surprise! There's an egg on the bottom of the cage. Paisley is setting on the egg off and on and Checkers seems to be catering to her. Chevron seems to be the third wheel instead of the demanding little bird he (?) typically is.

This afternoon there's another egg.

Obviously I am in over my head. Hopefully there are parakeet people on COTH who can tell me what I need to do at this point....please.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://talkbudgies.com/forum.php

best budgie place around.

I have some, but I could not begin to advise you on egg laying (besides that you don't need to keep them)

but if you feel you need to go through with the eggs, they need a nest box.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I had keets for awhile. They are the rabbits of the bird world.

I could never addle the eggs or otherwise remove them, so I ended up with about 6 birds. Some lived, some died but it was fun to watch the hen care for the babies and a couple of the babies were very very pretty.

I also never had a nest box, just let her sit on them on the bottom of the flight cage.

Alagirl - Thanks for the forum reference! I will spend some time reading there this evening.

threedogpack - I told my DH about "the rabbits of the bird world" and he was not impressed. At this point the eggs are sitting on the bottom of the cage and she keeps moving them and/or sitting on them. I can't bring myself to toss the eggs at this point. I think I'll see this through and then start shopping for another cage so I can separate Paisley from the boys.....assuming Chevron is a boy along with Checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
    Alagirl - Thanks for the forum reference! I will spend some time reading there this evening.

threedogpack - I told my DH about "the rabbits of the bird world" and he was not impressed. At this point the eggs are sitting on the bottom of the cage and she keeps moving them and/or sitting on them. I can't bring myself to toss the eggs at this point. I think I'll see this through and then start shopping for another cage so I can separate Paisley from the boys.....assuming Chevron is a boy along with Checkers.
    you are welcome!

(when you see 4711 there, kick her in the shins!)
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you are welcome!

(when you see 4711 there, kick her in the shins!)

I will try that gently.

I just took a look at the forum and it looks just like COTH for birds. Oddly, I didn't find it when googling earlier. I have a feeling I will have a lot more parakeet knowledge by the end of the weekend.

unless I am mistaken (happens frequently) she will still lay, but they won't be fertilized.

I will try that gently.

I just took a look at the forum and it looks just like COTH for birds. Oddly, I didn't find it when googling earlier. I have a feeling I will have a lot more parakeet knowledge by the end of the weekend.

It's a good bunch! very unlike COTH

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    unless I am mistaken (happens frequently) she will still lay, but they won't be fertilized.
    Why wouldn't they be fertilized?

Why wouldn't they be fertilized?
    if the boys are separated from her.

I will try that gently.

Do they have "Critique my Parakeet" threads? Natural Birdsmanship threads thatturn into trainwrecks like Parelli threads? LOL.

We lost our cockatiel when she had an egg break inside of her. I urge you to be carefull when they lay eggs and make sure her diet includes plenty of calcium. I loved our little girl and I was so devastated by her passing, she was so much fun.

Enjoy !

Growing up I had a male and female pair of English Budgies. They mated all the time but never laid eggs unless we provided a nesting box. I believe they had 3 clutches and both birds lived fairly long for parakeets.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    if the boys are separated from her.
    My brain still had them in the same cage so it didn't make sense the eggs wouldn't be fertilized.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Do they have "Critique my Parakeet" threads? Natural Birdsmanship threads thatturn into trainwrecks like Parelli threads? LOL.
    I wonder if they serve popcorn as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    We lost our cockatiel when she had an egg break inside of her. I urge you to be carefull when they lay eggs and make sure her diet includes plenty of calcium. I loved our little girl and I was so devastated by her passing, she was so much fun.

Enjoy !
    How sad. How did you know it was due to an egg breaking inside of her?

She has been going through cuttle bones like crazy for the last few weeks so I know she's getting extra calcium. I'll try to get into Denver next week so I can do some extra bird supply shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post
    Growing up I had a male and female pair of English Budgies. They mated all the time but never laid eggs unless we provided a nesting box. I believe they had 3 clutches and both birds lived fairly long for parakeets.
    I have no nesting box for them and we have eggs anyhow. Go figure.

How sad. How did you know it was due to an egg breaking inside of her?

She has been going through cuttle bones like crazy for the last few weeks so I know she's getting extra calcium. I'll try to get into Denver next week so I can do some extra bird supply shopping.
    Vet diagnosed the problem. They go through the cuttle bones quickly when they are laying eggs.

Yep, a lot will lay whether they have a box or not, but I'd provide her with one or with a wicker one (like they have for zebra finches). We had females that never laid eggs and some that did--never any hatched successfully, even when there was a male. They just weren't especially maternal.

Eggs can break internally. Another REALLY common killer is egg-binding (where it can get stuck in the oviduct and not pass.) Watch for straining, fluffing, etc. Good luck-and now you know they're like potato chips and corgis, can't have just one...

how are your birding adventures coming along?

Any chicks yet?