The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mono and Jumping?

I'm hoping someone has had some experience and may be able to offer a bit of advice ...

I'm older (around 40) and was diagnosed in mid-January with Mono. Strange, I know! The doctor said no riding/jumping/strenuous activity until the end of February. I grudgingly obliged and rested - alot! Also, the weather was lousy so that helped.

Since then, I've gotten a little bit better, but I'm really weak. I can ride on the flat without much of an issue other than a weak leg, but jumping is a major problem. I went to the doctor and found out that I still have the virus and the levels are higher than they were. The doctor said it will just take time and the levels should go down in a couple of weeks. She didn't say I couldn't ride, but she did say I should rest and avoid strenuous activity. I don't know if I should give up riding altogether for the next couple of weeks or if I should keep at it, sticking with the flat work? I don't want to get weaker, but I really need to get better. Any advice....
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

I know the main problem with mono is any possible swelling in your spleen. Any hard impacts could cause it to burst if it is inflamed (so if you fell off, got kicked, etc...). I personally would avoid riding until the risk of bursting your spleen has passed...

This time last year I also had mono, it was terrible. I got on a horse too soon, and ended up falling off because I wasn't 100% yet. When I went to the hospital for back pain, they ended up having to run multiple blood and urine tests to make sure I didn't burst my spleen. This was ~4 months after first getting sick! In hindsight I would wait to ride until I was not only feeling better, but also gotten more fit beforehand. I hope you feel better soon!
    a horseless canuck...

1 members found this post helpful.

Take a break from riding for a couple weeks until the levels are lower. Otherwise you risk bursting your spleen if you fall off even doing flat work. The more you rest the faster you will heal!

Ditto what others have said. Not worth it to risk injuring yourself. Especially if you already are feeling weak. When I had mono in HS my mom purchased something called Gland Nurse for me. It is an herbal remedy (which tastes gross) but it helped me a ton in terms of getting back to normal. Hope you feel better!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Wait.

I have had mono twice, despite the oft-repeated wives tale that you can only get it once. The first time was relatively mild, and I felt pretty under the weather for about three weeks. The second time, about 4 years later, was so wretched that I had to leave college in the middle of the semester, and it was a good four months before I felt back to normal.

Get lots of rest, eat properly, and build your strength back up gradually. It's not worth getting hurt.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

here is a reputable link about mono, splenic rupture, etc...hope the link works and hope you feel better soon!

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/inf...dTitle=7%7E150

Don't ride. Just don't risk it. I would also recommend getting your doctor to check your spleen before you ever get back on the horse. My daughter had mono with the enlarged spleen. Even after she was feeling better, her spleen was still enlarged. She didn't get on our horse until it was back down to normal. Not worth risking your life!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I currently have mono, I am continuing to ride. I lesson like normal but I am allowed my own breaks whenever I feel the need. My trainer has been great. I am pretty weak through my arms and legs but don't really notice it until I take a break, it is much harder to go back to work after I sit out a few minutes..

In my experience (four different diagnosed episodes over a five year period) any pushing of the envelope increases the length of your illness. Just suck it up and get tons of sleep, like shoot for ten hours a day. Get excellent nutrition. Learn to recognize when you need rest and respect what your body is telling you. Your horse won't mind a vacation and you will let your body get truly well. Best of luck to you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would not risk it, a splenic rupture can be life threatening. I wouldn't ride (or do anything else with a high risk of falling) and wouldn't do barn work that requires heavy lifting.

To be super safe, since you do engage in a relatively high risk sport, you might want to ask for an ultrasound to see if your spleen is no longer enlarged when you feel better. Supposedly, not all englarged spleens can be felt easily on palpation. A friend convinced her doctor to order one for her daughter after a drawn out bout with mono.

sammicat is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Unfortunately, you've confirmed what I suspected - that I should take the time off. Now I just need to hope I get better soon!

Thanks again, everyone!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Do take your time and get well. I hope you recover quickly, but you don't want to push yourself with mono. I've had it three times in the past three years and it is not something that will go away if you continue regular activity. You really do need the flat-on-your-back rest they prescribe.

Rest up and you will be back on your horse before you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I would not risk it, a splenic rupture can be life threatening. I wouldn't ride (or do anything else with a high risk of falling) and wouldn't do barn work that requires heavy lifting.

To be super safe, since you do engage in a relatively high risk sport, you might want to ask for an ultrasound to see if your spleen is no longer enlarged when you feel better. Supposedly, not all englarged spleens can be felt easily on palpation. A friend convinced her doctor to order one for her daughter after a drawn out bout with mono.
    OP, I can't tell you how important this (the above, in bold) is! Again, with my daughter, she was feeling almost back to normal and wanted so badly to ride, especially since we had gotten a new horse that she had never even ridden since she was so sick. However, ultrasound showed her spleen was still enlarged. I wouldn't let her clean stalls, lead a horse, etc. I had heard too much about the dangers of a ruptured spleen.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

With mono there is so much variation, from those that barely know it's there to those who are miserably sick. Been on both ends, it also has a nasty habit of relapsing.

So, slow down, and hope that yours goes away fast.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    In my experience (four different diagnosed episodes over a five year period) any pushing of the envelope increases the length of your illness. Just suck it up and get tons of sleep, like shoot for ten hours a day. Get excellent nutrition. Learn to recognize when you need rest and respect what your body is telling you. Your horse won't mind a vacation and you will let your body get truly well. Best of luck to you.

I had this same experience. I've had it a few times, and the symptoms have been drawn out (up to 6+ months) when I've continued to push myself. It's not worth it in the long run, I put myself in the hospital trying to continue regularly. It got to the point I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

I sincerely hope you start feeling better soon!

Original Poster

At the risk of sounding like a complete fool, I rode for the last two days ... nothing to strenuous ... and last night and today I feel like I've been hit by a truck. My whole body aches and I'm super tired. Okay, so I'm convinced! For the next week at least I'm off the riding. Now I need to break the news to my trainer.

Original Poster

At the risk of sounding like a complete fool, I rode for the last two days ... nothing to strenuous ... and last night and today I feel like I've been hit by a truck. My whole body aches and I'm super tired. Okay, so I'm convinced! For the next week at least I'm off the riding. Now I need to break the news to my trainer.