The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default helmet date of manufacture/shelf life question

I bought a helmet from an online tack store, on a slight discount.

It arrived, and the date of manufacture is 2006. It is new, unused, with tags, in box. I normally replace my (worn) helmets every ~5 years or so.

Do the materials break down at all just sitting in the box? Should I view this as a 7 yo helmet (in which case I would return) or does the count start now?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I bought a helmet from an online tack store, on a slight discount.

It arrived, and the date of manufacture is 2006. It is new, unused, with tags, in box. I normally replace my (worn) helmets every ~5 years or so.

Do the materials break down at all just sitting in the box? Should I view this as a 7 yo helmet (in which case I would return) or does the count start now?

Thanks!
    My understanding is that the 5 years starts at the manufacture date. I would absolutely send it back. That's completely ridiculous they sent you a 2006 model.

Mind sharing where you got it?

Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    My understanding is that the 5 years starts at the manufacture date.
    This is my understanding as well. I am extremely paranoid about "expiration" of helmets. They are stored in my home AND disposed of after 5 years from manufacture date.

Thanks for the info guys. The helmet manufacturers in the article don't all agree, though it sounds like they lean toward "date of purchase" vs manufacture. This helmet's manufacturer was not listed but I could contact them. I don't think I would have blinked it is said 2010+, it's not perishable, 2006 just seems like a long time ago.

Tack store is "The Stable Door"

I don't think I would have blinked it is said 2010+, it's not perishable, 2006 just seems like a long time ago.
    I agree. I would find 2010+ acceptable, but the 2006 completely unacceptable.

update . . . I wrote to the manufacturer, and just FYI here is what they had to say:

I am one of the original founding members that help write the ASTM F1163 standard for equestrian, and I am still very active in standards development and I assure you that there is no specifications in any safety standard that state a helmet should be replaced after 5 years.

The only time a safety helmet needs to be replaced is when it is involved in an accident. If your helmet is brand new and has never been involved in an accident the helmet is perfectly fine.

The rumors that a helmet needs to be replaced has been started by some manufactures (NOT IRH) as a marketing tool to get you to purchase new helmets when it is not necessary.

These is absolutely no scientific data that support these false an miss leading statements about helmet shelve life.

Intersting and not what I expected them to respond with. I have a couple extra helmets I keep for visitors and I had been wondering if they were still OK to use

update . . . I wrote to the manufacturer, and just FYI here is what they had to say:

I am one of the original founding members that help write the ASTM F1163 standard for equestrian, and I am still very active in standards development and I assure you that there is no specifications in any safety standard that state a helmet should be replaced after 5 years.

The only time a safety helmet needs to be replaced is when it is involved in an accident. If your helmet is brand new and has never been involved in an accident the helmet is perfectly fine.

The rumors that a helmet needs to be replaced has been started by some manufactures (NOT IRH) as a marketing tool to get you to purchase new helmets when it is not necessary.

These is absolutely no scientific data that support these false an miss leading statements about helmet shelve life.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I would still send it back if I could.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/