The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

You should give yourself a gold star! You obvisouly have nothing better to do the look down at other people and turn your nose up. Who made YOU decide what is right and wrong? You seem to know it all and are very happy to put down anyone in your way. This thread was productive until you and a couple others showed up and started your little rants and personall attacks. Do you feel better now. God forbid if you ever would grow up and have kids. Fine example you would be for anyone. I really do feel sorry for you. I do have very strong opinions but I do not make it a habit of putting other people down or making fun of them as you do on other threads.

I am not going to bother to pick tour little post apart. That is water under the bridge. But I will say this, you really should read up on a few things!

Well, I found Misty's thread enlightening.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Well, I found Misty's thread enlightening.
    Good! But remember she gets a grudge for someone she twists and turns the info to boost her low self esteem.

I don't like looking up old posts but this one if from Misty yesterday:

I swear I've seen better heads on a cabbage....ignorance and emotion must be in season.

Like I said, she gets off on putting others down. Hopefully it won't reproduce!

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    . . .I am not going to bother to pick tour little post apart. . .
    That was pic tour perfect!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    That was pic tour perfect!
    Darn phone typing!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Maybe you should use a light.
    Ha! Or get a bigger phone!

...or another forum.

Back to the original topic folks.

Thanks ~
    Mod 1

15 members found this post helpful.

There is hope in a dark world. Thank you.

I will ride my horses the day after they get their teeth done, not the day of. As I said above my vet sedates to do teeth and I know they are not at their best afterward. Now, are we back on track?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

3 members found this post helpful.

Dear Lord. I can't vaccinate my guy without oral sedatives but I take it that it would be a bad idea for dentist of any training to put hands in a mouth that just had dorm gel? What do people do with horses that are bad for dentists AND needles? make pony a pincushion and make lunch for the dentist? or does the dentist just wear heavy gloves?

I haven't worked with a horse that needed oral sedation before.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Rubber gloves, I guess, and hope they don't get torn! Or rubber gloves with thin work gloves on top.

Do horses actually stand still for floating without sedation? I know I sound really ignorant t, but like I said earlier most people in my area sedate for floating.

I just feel like riding the day of seems weird. No offense to anyone. I just know that my teeth are sore after being worked on...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Do horses actually stand still for floating without sedation? I know I sound really ignorant t, but like I said earlier most people in my area sedate for floating.

I just feel like riding the day of seems weird. No offense to anyone. I just know that my teeth are sore after being worked on...
    Yes, perfectly. I guess it depends on the area in which you live but in my experience horses have their teeth done without sedation. The last time I saw a dentist work on a sedated horse the owner sedated her because a tooth needed to be removed.

Here it's as common to sedate to float as it is not to. All depends on the horse, the amount of work that needs to be done, the person doing the floating.
    A dentist only can't sedate. But there are plenty of horses that stand fine for it. When I had Gal and Moo, Gal was sedated and Moo was not. But...Gal was 17hh and would stare at the ceiling the second the vet walked into the barn, that's too high to float. Plus she was powerfloated. Crooked teeth. Moo didn't care and was short.
    Now I have 2 shortish guys and both are sedated. Vet uses either power or hand floating and sometimes both, switching back and forth. Neither are bad for floating, but neither stands still either. Just easier, faster and less stress for the horses if they get a bit nervous.
    So I don't ride the day of floating. Due to both the sedation and the probable sensitivity in the mouth after having a big metal rasp grind on your teeth.
    Back with Galopin, I didn't ride for a few days because she had a bit more work done than usual.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

But what's the big deal about sedation, or the "gold star" for your vet/dentist if they can do it without sedation?

When I have my vet out to do spring vaccinations, they will float horses that need it as well. I have five horses in my barn, and I don't want to stand there all day either. If a little sedation makes it possible for them to get the job done well, and be less work for them, less time for us all, and potentially less stress on the horse (because I have at least one I can not imagine letting anyone rasp her teeth willingly), what is the big deal? It's not like we do this every week...and it's not like they are knocked out cold.

Heck, I let the dentist use nitrous on my kids for a tooth extraction...I know it's not *necessary* but is sure makes it easier for both the kids and the dentist.

Well, I think it depends on the horse, as always. Mine don't get stressed out, and stand just fine for floats. My dentist is a big, quiet, slow man who spends time talking to the horse before he goes in its mouth, and they all like him- I don't think he's ever had to have a horse sedated for him unless he was using a power tool. However, I don't think sedation is bad, or good- if it works and/or is needed- fine. If not, why do it? No big deal, I'm perfectly happy to drug the snot out of them to clip their ears- but if they don't NEED it I would rather not sedate.

Anyway, horses are not people. They undergo a lot of things that would stress out humans and are not at all phased by it. Have you ever ridden in the back of a trailer- even one of the larger gooseneck ones? I have, several times because my last horse used to try to kick/bite his neighbors if I wasn't back there holding up a crop. Riding in a trailer all the time would leave me a nervous wreck, especially balancing on four legs, but horses somehow manage to deal.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

All of mine are hand floated by an equine dentist and 4 out of 5 of them are without sedation. And yes, they all stand there with no fussing (I LOFF my dentist, he has an awesome way with horses). If it is just a routine float, I wouldn't hesitate to ride afterwards.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Dear Lord. I can't vaccinate my guy without oral sedatives but I take it that it would be a bad idea for dentist of any training to put hands in a mouth that just had dorm gel? What do people do with horses that are bad for dentists AND needles? make pony a pincushion and make lunch for the dentist? or does the dentist just wear heavy gloves?

I haven't worked with a horse that needed oral sedation before.
    I'm not sure about the oral dorm and dentists, but could you twitch or lip chain him to to the inject-able sedation?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post

No sedation and each horse stands quietly. Our equine dentist has great horse handling skills and 20+ yrs experience working only on horses' teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I just wanted to add that I've now had approximately 6-8 lecture hours and about 2-4 hands on lab time for equine dentistry up to this point as a junior veterinary student. I've also had the opportunity to attend a symposium on dental care which included about 4 hrs of lecture and 4 hrs of hands on time. I've also had the chance to float teeth while working with a vet outside of school.