The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplements Re-evaluation

My horse is 23, in light work, out on pasture during the day and with in/out access to a nice paddock at night. For years, she has been getting ReitSport HA joint supplement, along with SmartGut. For the last couple years, she has been getting intravenous Hytryl (hyaluronic acid) when in regular work, which definitely makes a difference for her. She's a bit weaker in her stifles this Spring than in the past, due to being in no work all winter and on flat pasture instead of rolling hills, and she isn't entirely comfortable going down hills, either under saddle or being led. I'm strongly considering adding Pentosan to her medicine cabinet. My vet is amenable, and also suggests Previcoxx, but I think that's a pain reliever as opposed to being therapeutic, though I have nothing against pain relievers!

Poor horse also just got diagnosed with borderline Cushings. Between her supplements (which she doesn't like the taste of and I think they smell revolting) and chasteberry juice for Cushings (which I also think smells foul; I have nothing against pergolide so maybe we'll forget the homeopathic stuff in favor of something that doesn't taste gross), she is turning her nose up at her grain (TC Senior)

What do you all think: if she's getting Hytryl and Pentosan for arthritis/joint/stifle care, would you forget the yucky-smelling oral joint supplements? Or do folks believe in taking both the oral and injectable approach? I will of course ask my vet and trainer, too.

Prascend tablets are small, pop one in the grain and horses don't know they are there. I break them in half. It certainly can be an improvement over worrying if the compounded pergolide has exceeded it useful date.

I have never bothered with the homeopathic medications.

I have used the oral joint supplements on a subject who could speak, and decided to save my money. Now the injectables are a different thing entirely.

Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications ( pain relievers) are therapeutic.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Without tackling the entire topic (my opinion of oral supplements and homeopathics is not kept secret) I would point out that what might smell "gross" to us may be perfectly palatable to a horse. And vice versa. Or maybe she just needs a break from all of the "polypharmacy".
    Click here before you buy.