The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joining the USDF?

My event horse is taking a break from eventing this summer and will be doing straight dressage. I guess that means that we need to join the USDF. Right? We are already life members of USEF, USHJA, USEA. Do any of them cross over to USDF?

My horse (with another rider who is already a member) will probably be doing 1st and 2nd level. I am guessing that he will need to be registered. But do I (as owner) also need to become a member?

It might be fun to see if we can quaify for year end things. I have tried to read the rule book and it makes my head spin. Living in NC, what year end awards apply to this zone? Can anyone tell me what scores he needs to get to qualify for things?

Thanks from a *real* dressage newbie.
    If it weren't for horses, a man would be the best thing in the world.

Looking forward to the responses. I joined a year ago and not this year, and didn't start competing yet. My horse came with a lifetime registration. When I read the division classes, it seemed to me the requirements were in the division descriptions. My thoughts at the time were that I needed to be registered to accumulate points in the divisions I wanted to compete in for year end rewards. There are rules about horse and rider combinations? I think? Hope someone weighs in on this, but I would think that I would have to be registered myself in order to compete for year end rewards, and I THINK but am not sure, that the entire division has to be ridden on the same horse. Whether the horse has to be registered, I don't know.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Do you want to compete for national year end awards, or local?

Do you have a local Group Member Organization? If you do, you can join that and become a "Group Member" of the USDF through that membership. This will allow you to participate in USDF sanctioned shows, and earn scores towards that GMO's awards. If however, you want to qualify for and take part in stuff like Regional Championships etc., you will need to be a "Participating Member" of the USDF, which requires a separate membership... ka-ching.

I believe this applies to both owner and rider.

Horse will need a USDF HID # too.

You will need USEF membership for you and the horse as well. Sounds like you've got that covered, though.

Could they make this more complicated or have a worse website, I ask myself?

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Do you want to compete for national year end awards, or local?

Do you have a local Group Member Organization? If you do, you can join that and become a "Group Member" of the USDF through that membership. This will allow you to participate in USDF sanctioned shows, and earn scores towards that GMO's awards. If however, you want to qualify for and take part in stuff like Regional Championships etc., you will need to be a "Participating Member" of the USDF, which requires a separate membership... ka-ching.

I believe this applies to both owner and rider.

Horse will need a USDF HID # too.

You will need USEF membership for you and the horse as well. Sounds like you've got that covered, though.

Could they make this more complicated or have a worse website, I ask myself?
    No, to both questions

I'll take a stab at it, but since I am in a different region, YMMV

You can find your GMO here.

http://www.usdf.org/clubs/list.asp?r...1&TypePass=GMO

Based on your location, you should fall under Region 1. I see a GMO of North Carolina Dressage and CTA - are you a member? If so, you might already have Group Membership. In some cases, this is enough. For year-end awards and regional championsips, you would need a Participating membership (fee to USDF)

In California, our GMO is CDS. We have (mostly) three types of shows: Schooling (not recognized by any org), 1* (CDS recognition only and 3* (USDF, USEF, CDS) recognition. To compete, owner and rider have to be members of the recognizing organization or pay an additional fee. So if you are only planning on attending a 3* show or two, you might just want to pay the non-member fee. Horse only needs a HID in both USEF and USDF.

USDF has a multitude of year end awards, but I believe those are all national, not region specific. This includes dressage horse of the year(all levels) and all-breeds. Owner and Rider have to be Participating Members. Horse needs Lifetime registry. I believe owner/rider must be active members of USEF, but the horse just needs a USEF HID. All-breeds awards usually needs membership of owner/rider/horse in Breed Organization. Just to qualify for these awards, the horse/rider combo must get at least a median score of 60 % with minimum of 8 scores from 4 different judges at 4 different USDF/USEF recognized shows. There are more factors to calculating the median which I won't get into here but is in the USDF member guide.

USDF also has Regional Championships, these are year end competitions. Requirements are the same as year end awards but I think the horse also has to be USEF recorded (annual or life), not just HID. To qualify for a Regional Championship, horse/rider combinations must earn a total of two qualifying scores at two different USEF/USDF-recognized Dressage Competitions, from two different judges, or combination of judges. Min qualifying scores depend on division and level (from 68 at Training Level Open down to 60 for JR/YR GP), and must be earned in a qualifying class (highest numbered test of a level, declared as qualifying with additional fee). Once again, more rules than I can ilst here, but that should give you the gist of it.

This page may help
    http://www.usdf.org/join/

I hope that helps. Someone once sent me a checklist that had all this information, but I couldn't find it.

This checklist should help you out.
    http://www.usdf.org/competitions/com...-checklist.asp

Thank you all

My eyes are crossing and I feel a great need to take a nap (my avoidance behavior when I cannot deal with something confusing).

I will do the check list first and then move on to the links.

Whoever thought (or didn't think) of all this confusion? Hunters is a snap; join USEF and USHJA and register the horse and, wallacht! you are eligible for all USHJA regional and national awards.

zzzzzzzzz. Definitely time for a nap.
    If it weren't for horses, a man would be the best thing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Thank you all

My eyes are crossing and I feel a great need to take a nap (my avoidance behavior when I cannot deal with something confusing).

LOL! Exactly my strategy. I'm glad you started this post though, I am a member of CDS and with the whole group membership thing I thought I was covered for 3* shows... Not that I'm planning on competing in any anytime soon... but still. I guess I'll have to do some reading as well!

...But nap first.
    "There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to."

I'll see if I can help since I am in NC as well.

First, join the NCDCTA if you aren't a member yet (you, the rider, and the horse). This will allow you to qualify for NC HOY awards and the NC Championship show. The NC Championship show is held in Raleigh in the fall (see their website for qualifying scores at the level you are showing). The NC HOY awards are points gathered throughout the show season at NCDCTA recognized shows. They hold a gala event at THe Umstead Hotel in January (always amazing food and fun!).
    Here is a link to the shows and points needed:

http://www.ncdcta.org/points.html
    http://www.ncdcta.org/calendar2013.php

If you join the USDF (owner, rider and horse) you can qualify for Region 1 Championships (held in VA this year). These are points gathered all year to qualify for Regional Championships.

Since this year Region 1 Chapionships are held in VA and not NC we are going to try to qualify for BLM Championships as that is held in NC in Williamston in the fall. I hate traveling to VA!!!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

This is why I complain every year about memberships... and refuse to join my local GMO(s) and clubs... not that they aren't perfectly lovely, but seriously there are only so many fees I can stand!

None of the associations cross over

For year end awards - national level - both you and your horse and your rider must be full members of both USEF and USDF.

If you only want regional/GMO awards, then you must also join that GMO (there is a VERY small discount to go from GMO status to Participating USDF member) and horse must have USDF number (and I think your rider has to be a USDF member.

I totally feel your pain - ATA membership and registrations, USEF membership and life number for the horse, USEA membership for me and life number for the horse, USDF membership/life number. USHJA membership and life number (I typically spend close to $700 a year on all this stuff).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!