The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farrington Offspring

I have a wonderful coming 6 y.o. by Farrington, but I can't help but wonder what kind of traits he seems to pass on to his offspring. My mare is arrogant, sensitive, well put together, highly intelligent, great gaits and alpha.

She ended up being big. Farrington is 16.3, her dam is 15.2 and she is a hulking 17.2. Don't know where that came from.

Anyways, what traits have you noticed that Farrington passes on to his offspring. I'm dying to get more insight as I love everything about her, well, minus the arrogance. Thanks in advance!

Bump, anyone?

You could Google Windhover Farm in Alabama - Margaret has had 2 Farrington foals I believe. She has been breeding Dutch for a good while and could give you some insight from hers.
    PennyG

Default Farrington Offspring

Why not ask Majestic gaits what he passes on? I have an 8 month old offspring. Just did the string test on him tonight and he measures out at 17.2. Mom is 16.3 He has a great personality to date, very respectful when he is corrected for nips and kicks. My vet knows Farrington well and says he can be a "prick" at times but what stallion can't? I can't answer your questions but I plan to rebreed this year to Farrington.

I have an 8 year old Farrington x Pion mare. I bought her as a rising 4 year old in Belgium. She is gorgeous and super talented, but not easy. In fact she has been so difficult that I have almost given up on her. She is extremely spooky and sensitive and an absolute diva, but I do love her and when you do get her to be on your side she is lovely and seems to really enjoy her work. I have high hopes for her, and with a lot of help, I hope I can get her to the upper levels. Someone I know in Europe has another 8 year old gelding that is also super talented, but very opinionated. My mare can get very upset about the smallest things and I do find that you really have to finesse her. She is certainly not what I would call an "amateur friendly" horse. I can tell you a lot, but would rather do that in a pm, so feel free to pm me.

Certainly check with Kathy at Majestic Gaits, but I've only read positive things about the temperament and trainability of Farrington offspring, which is why he was one of the first stallions we used here. The resulting foal had a very willing character and sold to a trainer who reported that he was doing well in his work and was fairly easy.
    They all have dams that influence their characters, of course.
    Last edited by Indy-lou; Mar. 26, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Hi All:

I'm curious who was the vet who knows Farrington well and called him a prick. He is so easy to work with here. In fact he is hanging out next to the young ones this past winter and loving it. He loves to be groomed and easy to trailer any where, clip or do whatever. He loves the attention. When I give him shots, I lean over the fence and just give him the shot and he doesn't even move. No halter or anything.

He did break his leg as a youngster and didn't get to go into sport after the testing. He has had a life of being in the stall, or walker and now he has turnout 24x7, so not the best life for him, regardless he has done very well. Although I have to say he enjoys hanging out and just watching the mares. They say he never would have survived being in traction for months when he broke his legs had his character not been so good.

He doesn't like the other stallions here and will pin his ears and bite at them. Very much a stallion thing. That could be something the vet or someone would notice.

As far as traits and character he throws. We have a mare by him that went on to be #1 Elite mare in the nation. All the ones that I've seen are fabulous. They will have good energy and many can go to the upper levels. They are very easy to train. He is not spooky at all nor have I see that in his offspring. Now, you have to remember he is 50% of the equation. I have seen that if crossed with a difficult dam that he wont necessarily fix it. I usually advise the breeders against that as I've been seeing that more recently. But, I have not seen that he put this in the offspring himself. There is always something that can come out of the dam side even if not seen in the dam. Pion goes back to Abgar xx and Amor and those are not easy lines. So, that might be what is coming through.

As far as height, he is 16-3. He looks bigger as he is built with a nice high neck set and everything he does is uphill. I had 2 offspring out of my 16-3 hand mare, the gelding is 17-1 and the mare is 16-2. I would not recommend that he reduce height in a mare at all. He does throw 3 really good gaits with lots of hock and knee action. Good feet and bone. I like his type but I would not cross him with a heavy mare as he will not refine. He gives nice long lines and topline and strong loin. Good power.

We've sold many to amateurs and professionals.

Hope that helps answer the original question.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I didn't mean to get him in trouble. Maybe Mark just thought we should castrate Colby. LOL He speaks highly of all your stallions and of you Kathy. I do too. Colby has a great disposition, he learns quickly and is respectful. He is a love bug, loves attention. Love his confirmation and his movement. 17.2 ... not sure I like that so much but he is a keeper. Can't wait for the next baby .. tough decision ahead for me!!!

LOL. Probably. He always encourages to geld. Very few colts are stallion prospects and not everyone should have a stallion. It's also expensive. My husband told me long time ago that I'd have my indoor arena if I hadn't been buying stallions. :-(
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Thank you so much and I'm in awe of Farrington.

She can be quite spooky at times but it seems to be because she is a "teenager" and appears to be coming out of it. The first week she was home a massive tractor dropped a pile of metal grates not too far from our lesson and she didn't blink. Yet it took her months to get over mini ponies and she still doesn't trust the new ones. She has her moments though, yet, get her in a show and she's solid. It's so strange, everything that scares her doesn't make her blink an eye in the arena.

We are going to start showing recognized this year, but she definitely owes her amazing gaits to Farrington. I love her so much that I want another Farrington offspring. I still keep in contact with the breeder and give her regular pictures.

Thanks so much for chiming in!

Good to hear you keep in contact with the breeder. I'm sure they really appreciate that.

Kathy