The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

IDK, I'm with MVP on this. But I'm willing to be fair. If BOs can post their apologies, I should do the same as a boarder. Initials here mean nothing, they aren't even close to the real thing.

To BO AA:I apologize I didn't see the invisible ink in your non-existent contract that said you would secretly feed my steady eddy novice horse straight corn once I gave my notice. I am sure it never occurred to you that you would turn said horse into a monster who could have killed my daughter when she tried to ride him and he freaked out like a giant crazed ape on crack. So if in return you would like to apologize to me for being a complete jerk and thinking only of revenge instead of a little girl's safety, I'm all ears. Sorry if I haven't given you a hearty recommendation since then. I guess I'm sensitive that way.

To BO BB--when you said the ring was cold and you decided to save money by sauntering out to the middle of the ring during a busy time and lighting a portable heater that featured a 2-3 foot column of fire out of the top (it WAS pretty to see all the red and orange), I am sorry I got just a teeny bit frustrated. I don't think I heard you admit that saving money and equine safety don't always go together, but it was a little hard to hear over the flames and the other boarders hyperventilating and running for the exit. I am sure you think I should have been on my knees thanking you for your kind gesture of warmth. However, if I ever see you and your singed eyebrows again, I will instead make sure to apologize that I never thanked you for finally recognizing that my horse doesn't particularly like flames shooting up his a$$. I did have to make a quick exit, so my manners were a little off.
    Last edited by hiddenlake; Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

7 members found this post helpful.

Yikes!

I have to say that I'm with the OP, on this. I think her sense of humor and just plain horse sense (as opposed to demanding twit boarder sense) is what I'd want in a BO. I can't stand having to be around those type people, period, so I think the BO and I would get along just fine. The older I get, the less I'm willing to put up with.

10 members found this post helpful.

I enjoyed your post!! Ha ha. Exactly why I have not allowed any boarders in about 20 years.

Last boarder decided that the nice soft green lawn surrounding my house (considerable distance from barn) was the ideal place to school his horse. It probably wouldn't have been as bad if it hadn't rained during the previous several days. The lawn and a flowerbed suffered considerably. Out out out!! Done with boarders as of that afternoon.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    Love it.

I feel that in order to critisize, each and every boarder should do what I did:
    Manage a 10 horse boarding facility, in the winter - often alone. With 1 hydrant for water and having to haul buckets for those 10 horses. Do this for 1 winter. Also hold down a full time job while you're doing it. If you are still worried about dobbin being changed into his "pajamas" every night after that, there is no hope for you

I'm a happy boarder now, that never complains unless there is no water (my pony is on the "no food" diet, so I'm less worried about him running out of hay at this point!).
    Indeed! I worked in a barn to pay for lessons for a long time -rain, sleet, shine, night, day, didn't matter. I had 4 paddocks of horses to manage. I am happy, THRILLED, to pay someone for the service of boarding my horse so I can roll over, look outside at the crap coming down, and roll over again and burrow under the covers.

Thank you very much, BOs.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

3 members found this post helpful.

I have been both a boarder and barn owner.
    And the OPs post would not make me think less of her as a professional in any way.
    There are crazies everywhere. As professionals, we mostly smile, while gritting our teeth, roll our eyes or mutter "are you freaking kidding" only when we are not in range of the crazy. Sometimes we need to vent.
    Nothing wrong with that post at all, even if initials were not changed to protect the fruit loops.
    I would bet, if you are the type to be offended by her humor, you are not the type boarder she would want anyway.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

18 members found this post helpful.

I'd board with you! Haha rock on OP

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    I'd board with you! Haha rock on OP
    Me too!

1 members found this post helpful.

love your sense of humour.a little twisted,just like mine!
    mm

2 members found this post helpful.

Couldn't pay me enough to be a BO. People who have never cared for their own horse at home have no idea what it's like.

I think before letting somebody board, the HO should be responsible for 100% of horse care, feed, cleaning, blankets, etc for at least 6 months. I bet that would stop the complaining.

When I was boarding, i'd hear people complaining about the goofiest stuff. I do all my own horse care. I don't keep them at my house, but a place near me. Its nice to miss out on all the barn drama too! LOL

Couldn't pay me enough to be a BO. People who have never cared for their own horse at home have no idea what it's like.

I think before letting somebody board, the HO should be responsible for 100% of horse care, feed, cleaning, blankets, etc for at least 6 months. I bet that would stop the complaining.

When I was boarding, i'd hear people complaining about the goofiest stuff. I do all my own horse care. I don't keep them at my house, but a place near me. Its nice to miss out on all the barn drama too! LOL

I'm also in the rare camp of having been both a BO and a Boarder. Currently loving boarder status and trying to not be *that* boarder.

I thought OP's post was funny. Having had a boarder call me at 4am to go take her horse's temperature (she got a Horsey Health book for Xmas, and had been taking his temperature three times a day for about a week...and I guess she couldn't make it out at 4am, so she thought I should do it), nothing surprises me anymore. Also, her horsey wasn't ill. Quite the opposite, though he started clamping his tail down tight when he saw her car pull in .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

8 members found this post helpful.

I love the OP I truly hope you were able to REALLY tell these inconsiderate boarders off! Please say you did, and that they apologized!

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    You know, I once met a small animal vet who got her dream farmette and brought her horses home. She was used to keeping them at a fairly fancy 'A' show barn. By the end of the first year, her horses were unclipped, unblanketed, surviving on 'cold' water in the winter, etc. She was pretty impressed by how all the 'do or die' details of horse care she agonized over as a boarder, went out the window when she was doing all the work herself....
    Last week was terribly busy for me and when a friend stopped by and popped her head in my barn, that was an absolute disaster (by my standards) I was so embarrassed and, I almost apologized. Then I stopped myself - because she boards where they have a full time BO and staff, and I am a full time mom with a job off the farm and a husband in a FT nursing program, I don't need to apologize. My barn with 6 horses and a goat is typically clean on Saturday afternoon, and an absolute mess by Friday. It is what it is, and no horse has ever died because I didn't sweep the aisles, left buckets in the aisle, and didn't put the grooming cart away.

4 members found this post helpful.

I want to take this opportunity to give a public thanks to my two wonderful barn owners for not being jerks like the OP You guys rock!

Just a word of warning and advice here. I vented a bit on an online forum about an ex-boarder. The boarder spent the next years chasing down every website where she could comment negatively on my farm. I had to sue her to get her to stop (we settled before it made it to court.) The comments that I made were inoffensive and mostly related to the damage the horse did on my property.

Yes, this is an alter, for obvious reasons.

Anyone that is the least bit offended by the OP has probably never been a BO, and is most definitely THAT boarder.

The stories I could tell about my boarders, I think the most memorable was when I got to the barn after a 12 hour school day (college classes) to have one of my boarders tell me "Dobbin took herself on a trail ride today!" "What do you mean by that?" I said, "Well I forgot to close the gate to the trails and she just kind of took off. She came back though." *Insert look of horror on my face here.*

OP, I had to sign-in just to like your post! Thanks for the chuckle.

Really, mvp? Sorry, but some unreasonable clients NEED to be laughed at!

Great post OP, and happy to year you and the baby survived & thrived!

us stable hands have it rough to I have had one boarder's horse poop in my freshly swept barn (I was assigned to a barn, as we all were at this one farm), then just say "ooppsy guess you will have to sweep again" and walk out. I almost put that pile in her brand new beamer, almost. She didn't have to say it like that, just a "oh please can you clean that up" or something.

oh and I am an easy boarder Up until recently there was a magical elf that was grooming my old mare. I almost made the bo have a heart attack when I asked her "do you know who is grooming my horse?" I guess she thought I would be upset but I was glad Just wish I knew who it was........... I would give them a big ole hug!