The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Excellent post OP.
    I also try very hard not to be that boarder.

Love it.

I feel that in order to critisize, each and every boarder should do what I did:
    Manage a 10 horse boarding facility, in the winter - often alone. With 1 hydrant for water and having to haul buckets for those 10 horses. Do this for 1 winter. Also hold down a full time job while you're doing it. If you are still worried about dobbin being changed into his "pajamas" every night after that, there is no hope for you

I'm a happy boarder now, that never complains unless there is no water (my pony is on the "no food" diet, so I'm less worried about him running out of hay at this point!).

7 members found this post helpful.

what the hell - couldn't your 70yr old mom have taken off the turn-out and put on the stable - come on, what's a few buckles and straps

{sarcasm}
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

It's really funny, but I hope the situations and intials were changed to protect the not so innocent. Sometimes it's best not to air dirty laundry in public...but I enjoyed it in any case...thanks!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Unprofessional.

I imagine you posted this in response to the "PSA"/complaint about some other barn. That was certainly stupid on the HOs part. But then again, she never claimed to be a professional HO.

You are claiming to be a pro BO. You are held to a higher standard.

Vent away, but you have to do that where the public and clients can't see you.... just like every other professional.
    Really? In light of recent threads, you can't laugh just this once?

You should change your username to sitm = stick in the mud
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

25 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    what the hell - couldn't your 70yr old mom have taken off the turn-out and put on the stable
    Because the horses thought her walker was a wash rack, they didn't want a bath so they ran away from her and they weren't fooled by that bucket of grain she hooked onto the front.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh, I am sorry...but some people need to be laughed at....the other solution would be SSS....
    They do.... but not on the interwebz if you want to cash more of their checks. SSS doesn't work if you want $$$, either. It's just a butt-biter of an idea.

Don't they make dive bars for this kind of thing? Good friends from some other walk of life?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

What? You couldn't give the doc's cell # to them? For shame.

My favorite story is the barn where the "pet" herd of buffalo stampeded through the dressage arena. Luckily, I was working with an unflappable cowboy, helping me start my horse. His comment to me was "It would have been nice to start out with a small goat, and work your way up.".
    I will say that not much fazed that horse, afterwards.

38 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    What? You couldn't give the doc's cell # to them? For shame.

My favorite story is the barn where the "pet" herd of buffalo stampeded through the dressage arena. Luckily, I was working with an unflappable cowboy, helping me start my horse. His comment to me was "It would have been nice to start out with a small goat, and work your way up.".
    I will say that not much fazed that horse, afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

They do.... but not on the interwebz if you want to cash more of their checks. SSS doesn't work if you want $$$, either. It's just a butt-biter of an idea.

Don't they make dive bars for this kind of thing? Good friends from some other walk of life?
    Uh, I think it said EX boarders....
    and no, I sell a kidney before I would deal with people like that....life is too short. There is no need to cut it shorter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

As a BO i can relate.the visual pictures i have dancing in my head are hilarious.Thank you.
    mm

Unprofessional.

I imagine you posted this in response to the "PSA"/complaint about some other barn. That was certainly stupid on the HOs part. But then again, she never claimed to be a professional HO.

You are claiming to be a pro BO. You are held to a higher standard.

Vent away, but you have to do that where the public and clients can't see you.... just like every other professional.
    I dunno.
    I chuckled.
    Of course, I was a barn manager in a former lifetime.

Kinda makes me wonder if you were one of Those Boarders...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

25 members found this post helpful.

Another place I boarded, the owner decided to breed his stallion, in the middle of my riding lesson. I wish he'd written that in the boarding agreement. LOL
    There are many bizarre stories out there, on both sides of the fence. It's best to look back with humor, when enough time passes to get over the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Tovero View Post
    In light of all the past threads regarding barn owners, boarders, complaints, what you expect from a barn, etc. I would like to take this opportunity to issue a public apology to two past boarders that felt one was owed to them.

To B.B. - I'm sorry that I got upset with you when asking you to remove your horse from the front paddock. I didn't realize that your trainer had told you to "watch him in his natural environment." However, I don't think she meant for you to remove your herdbound horse from his friends and put him in the paddock that is not within sight of the other horses. Watching him run around like a lunatic, screaming for the other horses may not be what she had in mind. Don't worry that Mr. BET had just raked, rolled, reseeded and watered the paddock. He wanted to do it a 2nd time, just for fun. And the "PADDOCK CLOSED" sign hung on the gate clearly was not intended for you.

To L.S. - About that missed blanket change, I apoligize from the bottom of my heart that Poopsie had to wear her mid weight turnout rather than her mid weight stable blanket for one night. I had planned on doing it after my doctor's appointment, but I didn't think I'd be sent directly to the hospital. Seems that my OB was concerned about my high blood pressure due to pre-eclampsia. I begged him to let me go home and change blankets but he really was the one who insisted on an emergency c-section 3 weeks before my due date. And in answer to your 5 cell phone messages about why the blanket wasn't changed and why the f*** was my cell turned off, I blame my doctor again. No cell phones in the OR and recovery. My 70 year old mother really did the best she could bringing horses in for the night and feeding until Mr. BET and the barn help could arrive the next morning.

In my 18 years of being a barn owner I know that there are more apologizes due. Be on the lookout for them - you just may recognize yourself!!

If I had a boarder that did what "BB" did, I would be WICKED pissed!!!! Holy disregard for signs or common sense when you can clearly tell a freshly tended paddock from a normally used paddock!

I also had a baby 17 months ago and am 19 weeks pregnant again. Luckily even though DS's delivery was unexpected, no one complained about anything petty that got missed that night. To my face at least!
    Last edited by mpsbarnmanager; Mar. 22, 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    Another place I boarded, the owner decided to breed his stallion, in the middle of my riding lesson. I wish he'd written that in the boarding agreement. LOL
    There are many bizarre stories out there, on both sides of the fence. It's best to look back with humor, when enough time passes to get over the shock.
    Ai-yi-yi, glad I never had to deal with that during any of my lessons.

Once in my boarding life I had the most perfect place and BO. A lovely facility called Magic Meadows. The owners were top notch. It's too bad every horse can't have their level of care.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

geez, mvp, relax already... your initials do not match, but then? did it hit too close to home?
    My BO does not change blankets. Period. Although... lately she has at least taken them off when she felt the horses were sweating in the barn with their winter clothes. She also put them back on when they went back out. But, it's not in the non existent contract. I have been boarding with her for 10 years and don't have any problems... she is upfront about what she will or will not do... or will do for a fee.

9 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, OP--this thread made my day!

I totally hear you!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Because the horses thought her walker was a wash rack, they didn't want a bath so they ran away from her and they weren't fooled by that bucket of grain she hooked onto the front.
    *snickers*
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

IMO, laughing at the expense of customers isn't a sustainable strategy.

There's plenty of funny things around the world, even COTH to laugh at. I can find 'em. Not to worry.
    I agree, laughing at the expense of others is not professional or kind. I avoid the Craigslist pages because they are only serve to make people feel better about themselves by making fun of and berating people they know nothing about. This one sucked me in by it's misleading thread. I thought it was an actual apology, but it was merely a change to take a dig at situations that happened in the past - one 4 years prior.

Oh, I am sorry...but some people need to be laughed at....the other solution would be SSS....
    I completely disagree with this. One one needs to be laughed at, for any reason.

Uh, I think it said EX boarders....
    and no, I sell a kidney before I would deal with people like that....life is too short. There is no need to cut it shorter!
    If I were in the market for a boarding facility in the Original Poster's areas, I would look at the establishment of said poster with more suspicion because of this post. Something for professionals to consider.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah but you gotta admit it is so warranted with how nutso some horse owners are! LOL Sorry!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.