The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question regarding Tad Coffin Saddles/Panel

What are the panels flocked with? I'm guessing they aren't flocked with wool but have a felt pad of some sort? I just bought a used TC, it's my first experience with them, the panel is quite firm and the leather of the panel quite loose fitting, if that makes sense; like there was more flocking at one time but it's so compressed that there is empty space in the panel. Is that normal? I've read about the love hate relationships with TC saddles but for this horse it's the best fit so far. I did look at the web site but didn't really explain much about the panel. I sent them an email but haven't received a response, no doubt they are thinking I'm a complete idiot.

To be even more of an idiot, this saddle is the TC dressage saddle. I would have asked in the dressage forum but I don't think TC dressage saddles are used by very many dressage riders, figured the hunter/jumper forum would have more people familiar with the TC saddles. Thanks!

I am pretty sure that he uses a special material that only he uses. If any re-flocking needs to be done it is supposed to be done by him. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe try calling them? I have had great service through phone calls. I've never emailed.

I LOVE my TC! So does my horse. :-) Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    What are the panels flocked with? I'm guessing they aren't flocked with wool but have a felt pad of some sort? I just bought a used TC, it's my first experience with them, the panel is quite firm and the leather of the panel quite loose fitting, if that makes sense; like there was more flocking at one time but it's so compressed that there is empty space in the panel. Is that normal?
    That's how my older TC was (2001 model). It could have probably been reflocked, but it fit everything I was riding at the time and I liked it, so I never bothered with it.

It seemed like a wool/felt sort of material, but I never really investigated.

It is some sort of latex.

They can't be reflocked; reflocking implies the ability to remove/add/move around bits of stuffing material using long pliers or a long flocking awl, which if you have a solid latex panel is for obvious reasons impossible.

The only thing to do is replace the panels entirely.

I thought it was foam of some sort? Maybe latex as someone else said. My saddle fitter at one point explored adding some wool to help fit but the panels don't allow enough room to do that.

I had a TC dressage saddle! One of the few. I really liked it for the somewhat close contact feel, but it was a terrible fit for my then horse so had to sell it.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Is it necessary to use one of his pads or am I good with any pad?

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Is it necessary to use one of his pads or am I good with any pad?
    There is nothing inherently magic about his pads. They are a certain density foam, covered in leather.

If you feel a different combination of material and/or thickness would work equally as well and/or better to achieve your saddle fitting objectives with this horse in regards to this saddle, the physics of putting X saddle over a horse with Y material in between is not going to be affected by what logo is on the headnail.

Make the same call you would make if someone replaced the logo head nail with a blank.

The leather/foam pad is used to make the saddle fit a narrower horse. My wide horse did not need any additional padding but another horse I rode at the time was happier with the standard TC pad over a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    The leather/foam pad is used to make the saddle fit a narrower horse. My wide horse did not need any additional padding but another horse I rode at the time was happier with the standard TC pad over a quilt.
    Yes, but my point is that ANY pad (of sufficient density) will help a too-wide saddle fit a narrower horse. For example, you can make a little adjustment with a mattes (relatively low density, will compress a lot) or more adjustment with a prolite (greater density, shims available for more and more adjustment).

It is materials, their density, and their design ("physics"), nothing to do with brand.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Yes, but my point is that ANY pad (of sufficient density) will help a too-wide saddle fit a narrower horse. For example, you can make a little adjustment with a mattes (relatively low density, will compress a lot) or more adjustment with a prolite (greater density, shims available for more and more adjustment).

It is materials, their density, and their design ("physics"), nothing to do with brand.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you, or even responding to your post. I should have quoted the one I was responding to, I guess, but it gets tiresome at times on a tablet to do quotes. I was responding to the OP's question about the pads. I don't know if he does it now, but in the past the TC saddle shipped with a standard pad and it wasn't always clear to people when to use it. Some thought you always do.
    Nothing magical, just part of the system for fit he uses. Works for some, not all.

I actually just dealt with this with my tad.

Over time the panels do compact. If they have compacted ti the point that the leather is loose then send them into tad. He will look at them and say if they need to be replaced or if they just need to be tightened.

Replacement is about $600, tightening like $150. My panels were tightened in 2011 and were still fine.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    I actually just dealt with this with my tad.

Over time the panels do compact. If they have compacted ti the point that the leather is loose then send them into tad. He will look at them and say if they need to be replaced or if they just need to be tightened.

Replacement is about $600, tightening like $150. My panels were tightened in 2011 and were still fine.
    Thanks sounds like that is what I need to do. Thanks for the comments on the pads, don't really need to make it narrower so I should be good with what I have.

I think the pads Tad Coffins sells with his saddles help give them a relatively stiff platform to sit on. The panels are thin and tend to be squishy.

My mind is open to the idea of putting a CC saddle on a table-like platform-- a little bit like the way a western saddle is built.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My 2002 Tad has panels with wool felt in them. It's not the same as traditional wool flocking but it's not foam, either. Mine are fine after 12 years, but I suspect the saddle was pretty lightly ridden before I got it.

My saddle is a very well maintained 2001 and it still has the original panels. They were tightened in Jan 2011 when the new tree was put in but otherwise are fine.

I'm the third owner, the prev owner was a fox hunter .