The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When do you clip your cushingoid horses?

My old dude has Cushings and has the coat to prove it.

He has ALWAYS been a very furry dude, even in his young man days. And has always been slow/long in the shedding process in the spring. Always. But, I noticed this winter that he didn't start letting go of all that hair until in the last week (Very late for him), and now I am convinced that the dude is going to have to be clipped AT SOME point this spring to keep him comfy.

We are in NOVA, and while this "Spring" thus far has sucked and been brutally cold (For us), we can get quite toasty even in early April. But, it can still be chilly and spring like. Once we hit May, it's pretty much summer here. I'm think I'll clip what's left around the first of May, but was curious when others typically clip their old, cushingoid guys.

He does not need to work for a living (may hack around eventually, though he's really loving the pasture puff lifestyle), and lives out 24/7. I can sheet him, need be, but don't want to shock his old system by clipping too soon.

Thoughts?

ALL.THE.TIME.

I find that along with thick coats their skin tends to be extra oily and if I don't keep them clipped year round they are just way to hard to manage. That being said, my last one lived in a stall and had more winter coats than I do!

If it were mine at this point I would wait it out until you can at least give a good bath and then clip away--right now it's almost too cold to wash legs! I'm so over this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I generally clip mine some time during the month of May. Really depends on the weather...if it stays damp and chilly, I wait. If we have an early, warm spring, I'll clip a bit earlier. I do keep blankets handy just in case the weather changes dramatically after the clip.

My cushings oldie didn't shed out last year (first time), and this year looks to be a repeat sigh.

Last year I clipped in stages because he won't wear a blankie. I started in March, as last March was really warm, with his head, neck and shoulders. I clipped the rest of him in the end of May.

This year I'm going to wait until it is routinely in the 50's to start clipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    ALL.THE.TIME.

I find that along with thick coats their skin tends to be extra oily and if I don't keep them clipped year round they are just way to hard to manage. That being said, my last one lived in a stall and had more winter coats than I do!

If it were mine at this point I would wait it out until you can at least give a good bath and then clip away--right now it's almost too cold to wash legs! I'm so over this winter.
    If he lived in and/or did something for a living he'd already be clipped!! I don't do hair! But since he's just my pasture puff and he's ALWAYS been woolly (which I'll never understand....he was born south of Richmond, lived in the RVA area for 17 years, moved to the DC area with me, and then had a few years a little further north in WV. It's not like he's EVER lived somewhere worthy of this coat!!!!). Sounds like May is the best answer. I do have rugs for him, but I'm hoping by May it'll be plenty warm enough. Typical VA. It'll probably hit the 80s in the second week of April and we'll never cool back down.

Generally in May. I need to give a good bath first so the temps have to be consistently high 60's for a couple of days. My guy's hair is so dense/thick at the skin it's very hard to clean and eats up clipper blades. It's not so much the length, though he does have that, it's trying to get it clean at the roots. I'm thinking about getting one of those add ons to clip him further from his skin so I can do it twice and not ruin the blades, although two clips may be just as dulling. Gah, what a pain.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It's irrelevant, whenever you clip him, the weather will be guaranteed not to cooperate and the temperature will immediately drop :-). One I had to do 5-6x/year, but my horse now we usually do in mid to late March and mid to late November.

I clipped my guy today! A couple weeks earlier than I was shooting for, but a high of 89 left him pretty toasty. The vet said he was like a steamed dumpling. And, holy crap, I forgot how adorable this dude is, and he looks GREAT, considering he just turned 27!

2 members found this post helpful.

Any of you with the Cushingoid horses ever tried wet clipping?

I wet clipped for the first time last year, but it was on a winter coat coming in on a normal horse.....am I just asking for trouble if I try it on a thick, long-haired diaster of a Cushings coat?
    Well isn't this dandy?

Ha! Funny. I just did. I really didn't have three days to wait for him to dry, and I was REALLY not looking forward to all of that hair blowing all over me on a warm day. So, I bathed him, conditioned him, Show Sheened him, and went to town. It was tough but doable. The toughest parts where he had some really nasty deep down grime. I kept spraying more Show Sheen on and rubbing it in. Kept dipping the blades, and made sure to brush off the big pelts of fur I'd clip off (it reminded me of shearing a sheep!). This was very much a comfort clip and not a cosmetic clip. If I wanted him to look good, I probably need to go over him dry. He's got some funky spots.

My cushings guy is shedding like crazy!! He did last year too. But the "summer" coat comes in long so I clip it when he needs it.

It is my understanding that if they aren't shedding right you may need to adjust the level of pergolide.

91 today.

A week ago: 24 in the am.

crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I clipped my guy today! A couple weeks earlier than I was shooting for, but a high of 89 left him pretty toasty. The vet said he was like a steamed dumpling. And, holy crap, I forgot how adorable this dude is, and he looks GREAT, considering he just turned 27!
    Completely beside the point, but I know this barn-- is this Locochee in Middleburg?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Yes.
    Small world. I spent a weekend there in 2009 when I was thinking about becoming a working student for Jenn Simmons.

I clipped my girl this weekend. And then yesterday. And today. And probably tonight. It's the hardest clip I've ever done. And I used clipmasters! What a chore!

She looks 10000 times better though, and I think I'm going to keep it up, because she was so grimy at her skin.

I clipped my yesterday-they were calling for a high of 87 in NC. He is on pergolide and is/was shedding, but not nearly fast enough. He looks so much better. I will have to take a picture of him and link it. And now that all the hair is off, I can really see what he looks like, rather than just feeling his ribs. He came through the winter pretty well-Of course now the grass is coming in, so he is not as interested in his lunch.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I clipped 3 weeks ago for a horse show, will probably clip again in may. I'd say I clip every 2 months, year round? She in a stall w/ turnout so blanketing isn't an issue, and is in moderate/heavy work so letting her get wooly isn't a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
    I clipped 3 weeks ago for a horse show, will probably clip again in may. I'd say I clip every 2 months, year round? She in a stall w/ turnout so blanketing isn't an issue, and is in moderate/heavy work so letting her get wooly isn't a great option.
    If he were in work and not just being cute out in a field, I wouldn't hesitate to clip him as often as needed (especially since, even after not having seen clippers in 5 or 6 years, he was a total pro for the process. Makes up for my other horse, who I could geld with the amount of sedation it takes to keep him from killing me when I clip him).

While the old man is pretty spry and goofy no matter what, he was feeling AWESOME this morning. It was cooler and had rained. At one point, I swear to god, he did a vertical leap straight off the ground and bucked HARD at the top of the leap, heels over ears. It was hilarious. And athletic. There are horses on this farm half his age that couldn't do that! He's got to feel 300 lbs lighter without all that hair!