The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horstech vs Platinum Performance

I am considering switching to a different brand of supplement, I currently use Smart brand supplements. Right now I am looking at the possibility of trying something from Horstech or something from Platinum Performance. I am looking mostly at their multi-vitamin options. Does anyone have any thoughts on quality of one brand vs the other. Is there anything that should concern me about either of these companies??

I have used horsetech's glanzen 3 and love the product. Would still be using it but with three horses now, can't quite swing it. I did talk to the owner of the company when they came out with their vitamin and he said if you use hte glanzen 3 then just use a half serving of the vitamin. This should be comparable to the PP and is cheaper. They are also really nice people and easy to deal with. They will also send you a generous sample to try to make sure your horse will eat it.

Platinum is very expensive for what you get, IMO. Yes, they are a great company, but not worth the hype. Smartpak actually carries knock-off of platinum's original formula. No experience with Horsetech personally, but I do get their Bioflax via smartpak and love the supplement.

Platinum is way overpriced IMO. Have had numerous friends try it for a few months until they all decided there were less expensive brands w/ comparable ingredients. I second checking out the Smartpak vit/min. they have some very good ones.

I love platinum. People have told me to try cheaper this or that, but I love my results.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've used Horsetech (joint supplements only) and have actually noticed a difference in my horses. The company is great to deal with on the phone - always very helpful. I can't comment on Platinum Performance as I haven't used it before.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My friend uses horsetech. She swears by it. She's never used platinum, so...I guess its six of one and half dozen of the other.

I had my horse on SmartVite Performance, SmartHoof and SmartFlex III, but he stopped eating it after a few months. I switched him to Platinum Performance CJ, which he seems to like. They have 3 flavors so I can order a different one every 2 months to keep him interested. It's a bit more expensive, for a bit less in terms of ingredients, which annoys me, but I haven't come up with an alternative he finds acceptable.

We switched from Platinum Performance because of cost, too. I talked with the very knowledgeable folks at Horsetech, and we decided that their Red 7 product was the right one for us. I've been pleased with the results, and it has been more cost effective since it contains pre and probiotics as well.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I don't have any experience with Horsetech, but I use Platinum Performance and I love it! The horses are all sleek, shiny, and over all super healthy looking. Its pricy, and I don't know how it compares to Horsetech products, but PP is really great in my opinion.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

Love horse tech. I use their multi vite and amino acid. Super great company, good quality products.

My last horse was on Glanzan 3 for a while but he really disliked it to the point of going on a hunger strike. The company was very friendly to deal w/, though. My mare is currently on Platinum. She's not particularly shiny but she's just been through a surgical procedure and a lot of antibiotics so that's probably why she hasn't been looking good. But after reading this thread maybe I'll check out Horsetech for the money saving reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Love horse tech. I use their multi vite and amino acid. Super great company, good quality products.
    And they send a small bag of yummy famous amos cookies! It may be a different brand cookie, I just usually rip into it and eat it on the spot!

I'm another Horsetech fan. I order a custom blend of Glanzen and have been completely satisfied working with the company for the last 15 or so years. I usually place my orders by sending Rod an e-mail saying something like, "I want two 40-lb bags of the same thing you sent me last time." My horses have always been shiny, and I think it helps with hoof condition as well.

Any time I want to tweak the supplement I call Rod up and ask for suggestions and I'm always pleased with his input.

My vet became a big fan of the Platinum products a while ago, and spent a couple of years trying to get me to switch from Glanzen to Platinum (well, maybe not "trying" so much as mentioning that she really liked the Platinum products at every appointment). She had looked at both sets of ingredients and felt that Platinum had a more complete offering. But I don't know which Glanzen product she was looking at, and she didn't know what my custom blend included, so I never changed over. But for the "other" perspective (since most people here seem to be Horsetech fans, myself included), she thought that the Platinum products were first rate and the best thing on the market.

I would be curious to know what the price comparison is. I order in bulk, and I've never made an effort to compare cost (which I'm guessing would be as easy as look at the per-serving cost on each website). I think both products are good, but I'm not sure anyone could come near the customer service I've received from Horsetech over the years!