The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horsey areas in Alabama???

My husband asked me if there were any horsey areas in AL similar to Camden, Tryon, Aiken, etc. If there are, I'm not aware. Anyone live in AL and can chime in on this?

Birmingham is probably the most horsey area, with Montgomery coming in second, then Huntsville, the rest of the state depends on what discipline. Lots of barrel racing, roping, rodeo pretty much all over the state but Hunter/Jumper and Dressage is mostly Birmingham, Montgomery and Huntsville. The better vet clinics etc are in Birmingham and Auburn Vet School. Used to be a lot of AQHA shows and open shows statewide, don't know if that's still the case or not. I quit showing several years ago. I'm in the Southern part of the state, not much going on around here, no vets and very few, if any, good trainers. If you feed Alfalfa, I just paid $30 a bale for hay (that's an 80 lb bale).

Where at in AL?

I'm in North AL and haven't found any great horsey areas other than lots of great trail riding pretty close. I just bought and moved my horses to my own farm and plan on putting in some little xc jumps eventually. I'm curiouse to see what others have to say...

What do you want to do? By your username I assume jumping?

Before I tell you how much field-trialing there is near Union Springs, it would help to know what manner of "horsey" you favor.

Pastures full of horses all over in Alabama. A variety of disciplines mostly western/rodeo, gaited, and trail.

If you are looking for dressage, h/j and eventing Jim Graham up north and Susan Wainwright at NoneSuch Farm 'near' Montgomery. Fair amount of activity and trainers in West Georgia. Several near I20 on the west side of Atlanta, Newnan area is a hot spot of really good event trainers. Poplar Place near Pine Mountain, GA is a large show site.

Check the USEA Area III site for barns and trainers.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Did Susan Wainwright move or change the name of her farm? I thought it was Foxwood or Foxhall or something???
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Susan's barn is Foxwood Farm

Aiken, Camden South Carolina and Pine Hurst/Southern Pines North Carolina all are in the geographical belt know as the Sand Hill.... that is the reason they are all horsey areas

Attached is USDA brief of the region; read that then see if there is an area within Alabama that has some of same attributes

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/online_...ieldSC1915.pdf

Ok, I knew I was close :-). What/where is NoneSuch?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Trails in N AL are few and far between. Depends on the riding you want to do.

Most of the good trails are 1.5 hours away at least. We are in the middle of the all the good trails. I do alot of driving to get to them.

Good dressage and eventing here in N AL. No huge show venues, but some small ones. Some very good dressage clinics do go on here. Some good trainers too. Some good training barns too.

Great place to have your horses at home, not expensive. Make your own place to practice on your own property and haul out for the rest of it. I did my own arena and trails on mine.

There was Gray Line Farm in AL that was a Saddlebred Place veering into Sporthorse stuff. It is prob still there. cannot recall where. there is alot of multi discipline Arabian farms there. Check out the Alabama Arabian Horse Club (or maybe Arabian Horse Club of AL).

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDeclan View Post
    Susan's barn is Foxwood Farm
    My bad, got people and farm names crossed.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Default Thanks to all.

I am strictly hunters. My husband may or may not delve into western pleasure riding. We'll see. I am currently in the ATL area and love the horsey scene north of town, but hate how overpopulated and overrun everything has become.....and I loathe the traffic. Once upon a time, Alpharetta was the "country". Not anymore. DH seems to think the "answer" is in AL. Based on what I'm seeing here, there are very few thriving hunter barns? Hunter shows limited? The last thing I'd want to do is be forced to haul back to Georgia for shows or clinics.

Give www.longviewhunterjumpers.com a try.

I worked with Dennis Sr., back in the late 70's. I watched Dennis Jr. grow up. He is a very good rider. Vandiver is about 45 minutes from Birmingham. There are a lot of farms which have sprung up since I lived down there.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

http://www.alabamahunterjumpers.com/

http://www.alabamahunterjumpers.com/...20SCHEDULE.pdf

The hunters in Bham are south of town, primarily down highway 280. Come visit and check out a show and see what you think.

If you event, Jim Graham, Debi Crowley in Florence an dElkmont and the list here: http://usea3.org/links, which has Alabama barns at the beginning
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!