The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross-posted: Places to board in Winchester, VA?

**Cross-posted from OffCourse because while good care is most important, I really really want to make the jump to the Darkside. Maybe this move will be the beginning **

I just accepted for a job in Winchester, VA! I know it's supposedly horsey country, but I'm not familiar with the area. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to board my mare?

Quality care is my primary concern. She's only ever been stall-boarded, but she might be a good candidate for pasture board. I think she would love being out 24/7, but I have never pasture-boarded a horse before and I'm nervous since she's just recovered from a ligament tear.

Before she got injured, we were doing jumpers but my goal is to event eventually. She's only just coming back into work and I dont think I'm going to push her much over the next year, so discipline and lessons are less of a deciding factor. Trails would be awesome! I don't know if an indoor is necessary in VA like it is in PA.

Also, what sort of price is common for the area? I'll be living off a stipend, so I need to figure out how much to budget for my mare's rent vs my rent

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations. I'm really excited about the opportunity I have professionally; being able to take my horse along with me is a cherry on top!

Default Bright Moon Eventing

One place to look into is Karen Conk's Bright Moon Eventing. They have an indoor and an outdoor and good ride out in the area. http://www.brightmooneventing.com/

Karen Conk is who I immediately thought of also.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Chestnut Oak Farm, Bridgette McHale. She is WONDERFUL. http://chestnutoakfarm.weebly.com/

i cant recommend a specific place but i would not pasture board my horse in VA especially in the summer - very hot and humid and the bugs can be insane. i feel bad for horses standing out in the fields all day. just my opinion.

I appreciate the suggestions. I've never field boarded a horse before and I'm unfamiliar with the area. Are humidity and bugs really insufferable? I ask bc the majority of places I've looked at so far offer field board. I'm paying around $500 in board now. If I can pay less, the money could go towards lessons/clinics/save until after my residency is finished.

Check out Sharon White's Last Frontier Farm.
    She is fabulous!
    http://www.lastfrontierfarm.com/home.html