The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jacket color?

I'm thinking of getting a new show jacket for two reasons: 1) I have a wool Pikeur Diana that is REALLY uncomfortable in the heat of the deep south, and 2) style-wise, I'm not sure I really like my Diana anymore. I've had it for over 10 years now and it still fits, but there are so many more choices in dressage jackets now.

Ideally, my wants are lightweight, single vent back, and a bit shorter than the Diana (loving the Cavallo Grunox). But I don't know what color! My Diana jacket is black and you can't go wrong with it, but I had a navy Diana back in the late 1990's that got so many compliments on because it wasn't black. I think it helped that it looked awesome on my chestnut QH. Anyway, my current horse is a bay, but doesn't really have strong red undertones. I have a black polo and navy polo that I've shown in recently (schooling shows).
    Navy shirt
    Black shirt
    What color should I go for? I'm open to any and all opinions!

I love black with bays... esp brighter bays like yours. I think it brings everything together really well, and shows off their points.

But I'm a huge fan of basic black and white regardless, so I might not have the best opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I love navy blue - I have a navy jacket and found a matching navy helmet! I also got a lightweight (Arista) navy vest for showing in really hot weather. Love having something other then plain black!

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the navy would look very nice on both you and your horse!

You've done the black (& can always pull it back out), so go navy
    You might also consider the velvet collar &/or piping!

Has anyone seen the Pikeur Nenita? I don't know if I love the zipper pockets for a show jacket

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/...ita--New-.html

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNeon01 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new show jacket for two reasons: 1) I have a wool Pikeur Diana that is REALLY uncomfortable in the heat of the deep south, and 2) style-wise, I'm not sure I really like my Diana anymore. I've had it for over 10 years now and it still fits, but there are so many more choices in dressage jackets now.

Ideally, my wants are lightweight, single vent back, and a bit shorter than the Diana (loving the Cavallo Grunox). But I don't know what color! My Diana jacket is black and you can't go wrong with it, but I had a navy Diana back in the late 1990's that got so many compliments on because it wasn't black. I think it helped that it looked awesome on my chestnut QH. Anyway, my current horse is a bay, but doesn't really have strong red undertones. I have a black polo and navy polo that I've shown in recently (schooling shows).
    Navy shirt
    Black shirt
    What color should I go for? I'm open to any and all opinions!
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerinefour View Post
    Has anyone seen the Pikeur Nenita? I don't know if I love the zipper pockets for a show jacket

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/...ita--New-.html
    For those thinking of ordering from Amira... just a word of caution.

I've ordered from them several times in the past and had very good service. However, I ordered a Pikeur (Skarlett) jacket from them in JANUARY... and still haven't received it. I've emailed them numerous times and only finally got a response after I had my bank dispute the payment. They say they've been diligently "chasing" Pikeur for my order and that they expect to have it in "any day now." Looking on their FB page, I see a lot of similar experiences... so clearly I'm not the only one who is having this problem.

If you can wait 2-3 months or more (after they cash your payment) for your stuff, it may still be fine to order from them. I ordered my coat in January so I'd have it in plenty of time (with time to spare in case I needed to exchange a size or whatever, since I've not been able to find a Skarlett to try on) for a show the first week of April. Not sure I will have it by then (or even certain I will get it at all, although I hope...)

Just hoping to spare others the aggravation and hassle I've gone through!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the input so far! Alto, you have a great point in that I could always pull out the black one if I want. I was thinking of navy with navy velvet collar and silver piping (need a little bit of personality!).

Lucassb, thanks for the word of caution. If I end up ordering from Amira, I was going to email them first to see how long it would take and what they had in stock. I haven't heard anything bad about them on here, but there's always some not so great experiences along with the good ones.

I think black looks nice on bays, but if you want to really rock the world, you could go with a very light champagne for your breeches and stock tie. You know us dressage riders: we just push that envelope all the way from A to B.

4 members found this post helpful.