The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Meant to quote this:
    "Maybe the horse in the OP needs to watch the video. That and a carrot stick ought to fix him right up. (Sorry, was that my outside voice?) SandyHTF I think you have a consensus. Good luck and keep us posted. "

I said that to someone right after the person left. Obviously I should have shown the horse the dvds before we got started.

I led the horse in and out of the trailer several times later in the day. She's a good girl, just couldn't figure out why this woman kept pointing into a box and hitting her with a stick.
    Last edited by SandyHTF; Mar. 24, 2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: meant to add quote

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a horse flip over backwards on me. He did it so quick I didn't have time to react. I broke my arm from the incident. I was on the ground, looking up, and the horse proceeded to rear again and flip over again on his own.

Not saying that I think it is a good idea, and I would never flip one over on purpose, but this horse never did it again.

Default If your horse is rearing question why (pain or fear) do not pull him over on his back

Totally agree with TrotTrotPumpking:
    My experience is that there is usually a reason they are rearing and I would start there (often if it appears to be a behavioral "naughty" behavior, it's pain related). The second big reason they rear is fear.
    Second reason not to do this--I personally know of a horse that died when it flipped over backwards, so I don't think it is a good idea.

[/I]

I sent a young stallion (expensive import) to a local popular dressage trainer in the Lindsay Ontario area. He was there 7 months which nearly resulted in his demise. This Stallion was and is of exceptional temperament and nature, very willing, kind and super intelligent and was purchased as an upper level competition prospect. Her techniques were unrevealed for the first several months - -until one day a concerned individual (aka guardian angel) snapped a picture and took a short video and sent it to me. Her idea of “full training” “con”sisted of torturous lunging sessions for most of the horses (when the owners were not present that is). She tied them up tight in side reins, lunged them at mock speed in 10 – 15 meter small circles with 5-6 cavaletti set up within this tiny circle… until they were extremely stressed and terrified that they would either a) zone out of mind and submit or b) breakdown – mostly the latter occurred. So after 7 months a superb young prospect was taught to go straight up in the air and she would then pull him over onto his back, jump on top of his neck and “punch” him in the head, to break him out of this habit. I was lucky to find out before it went any further but there are so many bad trainers out there with bad techniques. This one in particular. I blame myself for not questioning sooner why this rising 3 year old was suddenly rearing all the time. Fortunately after 5 months of “rehab” and gentle backing by a really good cowboy, he was then picked up by one of the best FEI dressage riders/trainers in the country and is doing well in his training with her, but almost 2 years later, he still received chiro and accupuncture treatments from the incidents with this trainer. Do not opt for pulling a horse over, question why it is rearing!!

Yep, there are lots more questions that I would have about "why" the horse is rearing.

With that being said, I had a hot mare who would get claustrophobic if you tried to make her stand still once you started working. She'd walk on the buckle, just not stand still. I had someone come to try her out who tried to make her stand. I suggested that they keep moving and my suggestion was ignored. She started doing "the rocking horse" and I more forcefully told the person to WALK. When that didn't happen the mare kind of sat down in a mini-rear (front feet maybe an inch off of the ground, but almost sitting on her hind end) and the person got off balance, leaned back, and pulled her right over (accidentally).

I was mortified....especially since rearing really wasn't a problem (though ignoring blatant warning signs can, of course, bring out just about anything!). But the smart mare twisted to her side as she came back and basically placed the person on their feet. She stood up with a major hang dog expression and didn't offer the behavior again.

I think that a very skilled cowboy type can probably pull a horse over and manufacture an outcome similar to my mare (by pulling them over and sideways, not straight back), but I certainly don't have the skill nor desire to ever try it. Too much risk to both horse and rider.

I have also known of a so-called trainer who did this to a horse on a lunge line. She flipped the horse, horse broke neck and died. Sigh.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I knew a lady who someone had done this to her horse before she moved to the barn where boarded. The mare was injured and it took ages for her to be rideable again. If I remember correctly(it's been years) the horse broke her withers.

My horse was a chronic rearer when I got her, it was the only way I could afford a nice horse. She went up and over several times, never with me on her. It never stopped the behavior. Would get up and go up and over again. She ended up having several issues causing the behavior. She was in chronic pain from contraction of the front hooves (very bad farrier, stupid me didn't know better), she was scared from previous bad treatment with old owners, and she had learned that this is how we get out of doing something that frightens us or we just don't want to do. Fixed the pain issue and reschooled the animal through the fear and she is great. She will still rear if something hurts or she is scared, but it has resolved under saddle and she seems to love her job and appears happy and eager to work now. It's like the horse has learned to think and learn instead of blindly reacting in panic. I think that would be best to eliminate any possible pain issues and then decide if it is worth it or even possible to retrain the individual animal.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Like it. And a hell of an athlete in that rider, too.
    That was what I kept thinking as I watched it too. Amazing athlete.

I know a guy who had the ability to just step off of them gracefully and dump them right onto their side when they reared. It did fix them. Obviously this was a very experienced rider in a soft arena. They didn't go over - he pulled the rein sideways so he was laying them down. It wasn't like they hit the ground violently like a flipping horse will do.

I also know of several incidents where trainers have flipped horses on the longe or in long lines and the horse broke its neck. This is a super high risk "cure." I'm not discounting it in EVERY case but it should be an extremely rarely used fix for a horse that has been thoroughly examined, adjusted, had the dentist, etc. and pain has been 99.9% eliminated as the cause.

The green mare I bought had a rear as an evasion. She'd be fine for 15 min or so, but then when you walked or stopped, and asked her to walk forward, she'd go up, almost vertical. She did it 3 times (twice in one ride), in a mild snaffle, and a HM Mullen mouth, so it wasn't the bit or being overfaced. No pain issues. Just "I had enough, and don't wanna go forward". I sent her to a cowboy, who's solution is to instill forward. He would get on, and REALLY go forward. In fact, the first couple of rides, he'd dismount at a trot, and immediately go to a longing circle around him.

She no longer has a rear in her, no matter what she is faced with.

Pulling one over is nuts.