The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Virginia TB stallion Default

Anyone here know anything about him? He's lovely and has a droolworthy pedigree from top to bottom. Stands in Crozier, VA at Little Hawk Farm, which looks to be very foxhunting oriented.

http://www.littlehawkfarm.com/default%20stallion.html
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/default

One of the very few places you can get High Top in the US. Turf horse.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quite nice looking, too.

He's got an incredible number of proven lines for dressage in his pedigree. Queen of Light was Welsh Pageant's 2nd dam and he was Lauries Crusadors sire. Chandelier was the dam of Crocket, grandsire on top of the TB Arak, International GP horse. Aureole is excellent for movement and so is Mieuxce.

Just noticed that Blue Peter and My Babu together close seem to be good for "real" dressage, if a sample of two is adequate. Both have My Babu as sire and Blue Peter as damsire. Pretty far back in the pedigree though.

I really want to know more about Default, especially for eventing.

Greinton was sold to Germany, but I don't know if he is still alive. Greinton has some US jumps racers.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Feb. 22, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

His conformation type, head and expression look alot like Huntsman as a younger guy -- very handsome!
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Greinton was sold to Germany, but I don't know if he is still alive. Greinton has some US jumps racers.
    Died in 2010, according to wiki.

Oh, and Bloodhorse, too.

Anyone here know anything about him? He's lovely and has a droolworthy pedigree from top to bottom. Stands in Crozier, VA at Little Hawk Farm, which looks to be very foxhunting oriented.

http://www.littlehawkfarm.com/default%20stallion.html
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/default

One of the very few places you can get High Top in the US. Turf horse.
    Little Hawk is actually a VERY OLD TB racing farm, once owned by the Reynolds (Aluminum) family. They were heavily into racing at one time, and the farm was gorgeous. Frances Rowe got her start there and Mr. Reynolds sold her the land that Foxwood Farm, her famous farm where she trained so many well known jumpers, stands on. It is in the heart of Deep Run Hunt country.

Little Hawk has since been broken up and is now much smaller. Spring Valley Farm occupies much of what was the original Little Hawk. What is left is owned by Dr. Tom Newton, a local vet who specializes in repro work. He has stood a number of nice stallions over the years, including Harbor Man. I haven't seen this one.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

uuugh.
    drooling all over keyboard.
    I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful TB stallion.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Viney - can you comment on the Indian Hemp/TV Lark portion of his pedigree? I recognize the line as Nasrullah/Nearco, and see TV Lark pop up fairly often, but know little about them.

I haven't heard of any Default offspring locally. Tom Newton is nice to talk to and he does some lower level eventing himself.

I saw Default once when he was at Eagle Point Farm. Remember that his trotting in the paddock wasn't impressive to me as a dressage person, but seem to recall that he had an injury at the time. Sorry can't be more specific. Karen Dennehy of EPF is both a race trainer and showed hunters so she might be able to provide info about Default's riding horse qualities.

http://www.eaglepointfarm.com/

Indian Hemp is kind of far back in Upstage's dam line through his daughter Summa Cum Laude, who was the dam of Indian Ore, Upstage's dam sire. He stood in California, and TV Lark, who had over 70 starts and won almost a million bucks was his best by far. TV Lark was older champion turf horse in 1961. Very durable line from the number of starts of the Indian Hemp get. His damsire Stardust was also sire of Star Kingdom, the great Australian TB sire who has been so good for eventing. His dam is a half to Sister Sarah, who is one of the great broodmares of all time. Dam of Lady Angela, Lady Sybil, Sybil's Sister and the sire Welsh Abbot, among others. Lady Angela is dam of Nearctic.

TV Lark had a son Buffalo Lark who had a son True West in Ohio with 92 starts, wins through age 7, and a win in the "Ohio Endurance Championship". The number of starts of Buffalo Lark's get is pretty darned amazing. They seem to be good, hard knocking blue collar race horses in the main. Another son, TV Commercial, stood in Maryland for years. He has a horse named Perfect Preview with 189 starts. Perfect Preview almost looks like a text book on the TB lines that are good for durability.

TV Lark is damsire of Zero Watt and Bates Motel. Also damsire of Warcraft who was sent to Ireland and has some eventing get who haven't gotten very high. Second damsire of Monarch, who is the damsire of Last Monarch.
    Zero Watt has quite a few Irish event horses, including Zero Flight who is a 4* horse. Bates Motel is the damsire of Santa's Coming, who has done a 2* CIC here and was eliminated in the CCI 3* at Bromont last year.

TV Lark was the sire of several stallions who have made good in eventing. His son Flying Lark is the damsire of Poggio's sire; his son Mickey McGuire in is the pedigree of the stallion Likoto xx who was sent to Germany and is being used in WB (mostly Hanoverian) breeding there. He has mostly eventers, but is also sire of a couple of pure dressage FEI Junior horses. Likoto's Oldenburg approved stallion Licotus has yet another dressage horse. His Hanoverian son Like A Star is beginning an eventing career. The Likoto's are all fairly young. Likoto is approved Holstein, Hannover and Oldenburg. http://www.horsetelex.nl/progeny.php?horseid=13887

TV Lark is also in Twizzel through Quack to Lady Bedford.

Definitely seems to be a line that does well in sport when it comes in through females.

TV Lark is one of those lines that has a excellent reputation in sport jumping pursuits. I think he's liked for hunters as well as eventing.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Feb. 22, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

I did speak to someone who has a Default mare who said he fractured his pelvis in 2008 and was not bred that year due to that injury. Was that about the time you saw him, Schiffon?

Thanks Viney - superlative as always.

Viney, you should really write a book. I'm working on breaking down your post above for my own reference--adding DOBs for these horses and cross referencing--and I'm already up to two pages. To say nothing about the plethora of info you've shared elsewhere!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Indian Hemp is also found in the pedigrees of Absolut and See Me Com'en.

Default Confirmed 30 day embryo from Default xx breeding!

He's got an incredible number of proven lines for dressage in his pedigree. Queen of Light was Welsh Pageant's 2nd dam and he was Lauries Crusadors sire. Chandelier was the dam of Crocket, grandsire on top of the TB Arak, International GP horse. Aureole is excellent for movement and so is Mieuxce.

Just noticed that Blue Peter and My Babu together close seem to be good for "real" dressage, if a sample of two is adequate. Both have My Babu as sire and Blue Peter as damsire. Pretty far back in the pedigree though.

I really want to know more about Default, especially for eventing.

O.K., Viney, I just wanted to say THANKS for helping me go in this direction!!! When you started the thread on the TB stallion, Default xx, I had to laugh because I knew he was right around the corner from me, and Tom and Jennifer Newton are just wonderful people, but I hadn't really considered him as a possibility unitl you started raving over his pedigree!

As you know, I have an interest in TBs that have dressage "capacity"! And, after my disappoionting year of attempting breeding two of my mares with my Stravinsky xx (aka Trachit xx) semen, I wanted to think about some other options... And, in fairness, the two mares I chose were not the most optimal for "unproven" frozen semen... So, after using 5 doses of the precious Stravinsky xx comodity on my two mares, I only achieved two pregnancies (and with the same mare on her second and third AI attempts, which, unfortunately, she lost sometime in the winter), but NO actual live foal births...

The other mare that never achieved a pregnancy was older and later had a uterine biopsy that was a grade IIA, so "my bad" for even attempting with her...

Nonetheless, I really wanted a foal out of her from a TB stallion with dressage potential...

So, enter Default xx!!!

I took this mare over to Little Hawk Farm (www.littlehawkfarm.com), and she was bred to Default xx via AI with fresh semen and, VOILA, we are 30+ days pregnant now... She is on Progesterone and looks quite happy, so fingers crossed, next year in April, we will have a TB/Appy cross dressage baby!

I will keep everyone posted!

Oh, and btw, Default is pretty arthritic, somewhat lame, and is not really able to demonstrate any reasonable movement... he appears to have sustained maybe a fracture to one of his front legs at some point, ? slab fracture maybe... So, even if his movement is rather "huntery", that's fine... I know he had a pretty proven jump, as he did compete as a ?working hunter after his racing career... But, trully, his conformation is quite nice, he has a great shoulder and neckset, is rather uphill, and not too long in the back, his loin connection appears reasonable, so overall, for me, it was a nice opportunity...
    Last edited by mitma; Jun. 10, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typos
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

I can't contain my excitement!!!

My foundation bred, Appaloosa mare, Mechanical Kitten, aka Michie (yes, some of the goofy names that our horses have!), just about 45 minutes ago, foaled a beautiful, healthy, LEOPARD filly, sired by Default!!!! Since I am out of town working (plus, we're heading to Williamston later this week for the Spring Dressage I/II shows), my barn manager had taken Michie over to Dr. Tom Newton's barn, Little Hawk Farm... I AM SO EXCITED!!!! We definitely plan for this filly to develop into an awesome, Appaloosa sporthorse!!! I will post pictures when available, but for anyone who does FB, just look at Dr. Tom Newton's page for the birth picture!
    Gleann Oighrig LLC
    Showing, Sales, Breeding, and Boarding
    Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats Mitma!!

I didn't know you were breeding to Default and I'm excited it was to an App mare! Funny enough, I had him on a potential suitor list for my Appaloosa mare!! I cannot wait to watch this baby grow!

Also, are there any videos of Default anywhere?

1 members found this post helpful.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Please keep us all in the loop on how she does and develops.