The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Review: County Fusion vs. Perfection?

I'm planning ahead for the event that I may saddle shop if my saddle that I am having shipped to me from Germany doesn't fit my horse I'm riding... I'm not "in love" with his current saddle but it's fine so I luckily won't be in a rush.

Tried my friend's Fusion yesterday on him and liked it, though I need a short flap I think. What is the difference between a Fusion and a Perfection? I looked all over the glorious interwebs and didn't find anything particularly helpful. If I end up saddle shopping I will of course test the 2 but I know some of you folks have probably already done this and can offer your opinions.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    I'm planning ahead for the event that I may saddle shop if my saddle that I am having shipped to me from Germany doesn't fit my horse I'm riding... I'm not "in love" with his current saddle but it's fine so I luckily won't be in a rush.

Tried my friend's Fusion yesterday on him and liked it, though I need a short flap I think. What is the difference between a Fusion and a Perfection? I looked all over the glorious interwebs and didn't find anything particularly helpful. If I end up saddle shopping I will of course test the 2 but I know some of you folks have probably already done this and can offer your opinions.

Thanks!
    A substantial amount of $$$$

Fusion starts out in County's basic leather, the Perfection in their premium "Bull" leather & is just a lot more saddle - if you prefer barely there saddles, you may not like the Perfection on a horse ... in terms of ordering a saddle, the Perfection offers a truly "custom" flap; both saddles fit the rider differently, so if possible have a County rep out, both the Connection & Competitor are less "there" than the F & P.
    (I'm not very good at this, if you talk to my County rep she'll tell you exactly how each saddle rides ...)

Haha thanks! Yeah, I don't care what the leather type is. I have several fingers and toes crossed that my saddle that is coming here fits my horse and I won't have to journey down this road. (It's an OLD Hennig that unfortunately doesn't have an adjustable tree). However, in the event it doesn't work, then I will look around and/or pinch pennies to afford a different used Hennig if I can't find something else that may work. My trainer said she didn't even get the Perfection on the horse before she decided it wasn't going to work. One that I saw online for sale said it had the flaps on velcro so you could adjust it. I thought that was interesting...

I have the connection. I tried all the saddles. I could not stand the huge blocks on these two but that was me. I love my connection and my horse went best in it also. I do have the elephant hide or whatever they call it so it has a little more grip to the saddle. I don't really know what the difference was in the perfection and fusion. I rode in both. The perfection was softer and more comfortable I guess in the seat than the fusion but i really didn't notice a big difference. I'd have a rep out to explain to you and let you try them all. Even though i got the connection I still paid 3995 for the saddle and girth so even the cheaper isn't cheap but I'm just glad my horse and I liked the cheaper better lol.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I've ridden in all three. I primarily use a connection and perfection, the Fusion was fabulous (perfection tree) but for where the horse was in the training, it didn't allow me to really sit where I need to sit.

I use my connection on younger/greener horses, it allows me a little more range and to put my feet on the dash if necessary. The perfection allows me to really ride the balance much more up.

The flaps with velcro are kit saddles, the regular models don't have that
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

the huge blocks on these two
    Any of the saddles may be ordered with smaller blocks or no blocks (or removable blocks) so focus on feel of each saddle & fit for the horse: I don't recall which tree is in which model, though I believe the Perfection tree, like the Innovation tree, is more U shaped.
    My rep has sold a few Perfections with velcro flaps to trainers, but original idea was to facilitate customization of the flap for the client.

Hmm interesting. I do really wish that either was a monoflap saddle. I feel like they really missed an opportunity there. The horse I'd be using it on is a confirmed PSG horse. I'm about to finish up my bronze and start on my silver. Riding him "up" isn't an issue. I rode him in a different Fusion tonight with a smaller tree (wide sat a little lower) and I did like the medium better though I think he'd really do best in a MW. I've known some County Connections and I feel like the blocks on those are also very big but you just don't notice as much because they're under the flap. The block doesn't really matter to me as long as it's not in my way. There's one of my trainer's horses that I don't like the Fusion on as it puts my knee on the block. The other horses I either don't mind the saddle too much or quite like it.
    I like the velcro idea (but it's a regular flap and I maybe really need a short flap is the problem). Then if it wasn't the right angle I could have some sort of input.
    Hm.... thanks for the replies! I guess we'll see what happens with my dear, ancient Hennig. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    Hmm interesting. I do really wish that either was a monoflap saddle. I feel like they really missed an opportunity there. The horse I'd be using it on is a confirmed PSG horse. I'm about to finish up my bronze and start on my silver. Riding him "up" isn't an issue. I rode him in a different Fusion tonight with a smaller tree (wide sat a little lower) and I did like the medium better though I think he'd really do best in a MW. I've known some County Connections and I feel like the blocks on those are also very big but you just don't notice as much because they're under the flap. The block doesn't really matter to me as long as it's not in my way. There's one of my trainer's horses that I don't like the Fusion on as it puts my knee on the block. The other horses I either don't mind the saddle too much or quite like it.
    I like the velcro idea (but it's a regular flap and I maybe really need a short flap is the problem). Then if it wasn't the right angle I could have some sort of input.
    Hm.... thanks for the replies! I guess we'll see what happens with my dear, ancient Hennig. Fingers crossed!
    You might want to work with a rep than go with the DIY route...
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by tempichange View Post
    You might want to work with a rep than go with the DIY route...
    THIS!! I had an idea which County saddle I wanted to go with, but am glad I ended up working with a rep. She let me ride in all the models in different seat and tree sizes and my horse told me which one he liked best!

You will definitely want to work with a rep. I am so glad I did because what people thought I would like and what I liked are much different things. Also depending on the horse the tree's in the various models might affect their movement. For me I would have been happy in either a Fusion or a Perfection but the Perfection was definitely more comfortable. I am pretty average in terms of height but in the Fusion I would need a Short Flap (it runs longer than the perfection) - that added to the fact that my horse went better in it sent me on the used hunt. Once you know the exact configuration of what you need in terms of seat size, tree size, flap position/ length, and panel (Skid Row/ Gussets, etc) it is easier to shop the used market more confidently. If that is what you wanted to do anyways. I found my used Perfection for a steal @ Fine Used Saddles.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Another vote for having a County rep come to you with all sorts of demo saddles to try.

I started with Competitor and then a Connection. Both were "ok" but not great for me and/or my mare. My rep says "Well, for grins & giggles, let's try the Perfection." It fit my hard-to-fit mare perfectly and me just as perfectly. Saddle nirvana as far as I am concerned

So if the Hennig doesn't work out, have that County rep out so you can try 'em all.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.