The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation to put hind shoes on or to not....

My horse has always been a bit wary of really using his hind end, especially noticeable when jumping, as he'll rush to the base at times, do a dramatic kangaroo jump, then rush away, as if he is struggling to get his footing in the back. Many have said putting hind shoes on him (he currently only has fronts) will help with his confidence by adding more support behind. To eliminate some common issues: saddle is totally checked and fitted to him, so no issues there. I will be having a chiropractor/acupuncturist work on him today, and having flexions done on him next week as another precaution. But my main question here is: do hind shoes make a difference? What are your experiences?

IME, rushing a jump and doing a weird jump is a back/discomfort issue. Oh the saga I could tell you about how I learned this. But I would doubt that hind shoes are the answer to that particular question based on that very limited information.

I put hind shoes on my guy for one reason: so I can stud him, because he injured himself last year in a slip on XC. I've never really bought the "support" argument for shoes, although I do believe that some horses may simply be more comfortable due to the hoof protection.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm hopefully the chiropractor today can shed some light on any back issue he may be having, thank you!

Sounds like a few different issues balance & possible injury/pain.
    Training/confidence, rushing can be a sign of fear/misunderstanding. If he doesn't have the proper basics of jumping firmly established-he will just figure out how to "get over it" regardless of how unorthodox.

But to answer the hind shoe ?
    Yes, it makes a huge difference.

Ok yes, we have gone back to basics for over a year, pole work, crossrails, gymnastics, we just increased to 2'6-2'9, and we started seeing him have a little more rushing issues, i'm thinking the hind shoe may be a good thing to try, i feel like he needs a little boost so that he knows he can use his hind end more efficiently

I think it's one of those things that can't hurt to try. If it helps, great, if not then at least you ruled that out. That said, I'm inclined to say that there's more going on here.

2 members found this post helpful.

If the shoes don't help, they can always be pulled. It can be an easy inexpensive fix.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

So, try the shoes and see if they make a difference.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by katestephenson45 View Post
    Ok yes, we have gone back to basics for over a year, pole work, crossrails, gymnastics, we just increased to 2'6-2'9, and we started seeing him have a little more rushing issues, i'm thinking the hind shoe may be a good thing to try, i feel like he needs a little boost so that he knows he can use his hind end more efficiently
    I can't imagine not putting hind shoes on a long time ago ... definitely have your farrier out & give it a go

Also have you done a lot of trot into fences? (this really develops those muscles)
    Last edited by alto; Mar. 22, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Have you considered the possibility of sore hock(s)? That was the first thing that came to my mind. I've never seen hind shoes solve a rushing problem, but I have seen a lot of rushing from horses that were much happier with a little joint support - either in the way of actual, local joint injections or a more widespread IM injection.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

^ agree

can't read for comprehension, I'd read the OP as horse has already been chiro'd & vetted ...

Shoes are easy to put on and easy to take off . . . worth a try.
    Click here before you buy.

One of my geldings is a completely different mover with hind shoes on vs. fronts only or barefoot. He's nine this year and was diagnosed with hock arthritis at three. I also do chiro throughout the year (usually needs to be adjusted in his sacrum and up higher in his neck) but the difference that hind shoes alone makes for him is dramatic. I usually pull his shoes over the winter and while I'm lightly starting him back in the spring but once show season arrives the shoes go back on.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Update: Chiro came today, thinks he may have taken a tumble in the field recently since his whole left side was pretty sore, would explain his grumpiness lately. She agreed that trying hind shoes isn't a bad idea, and that having flexions was a good idea too. His topline was pretty tight, so we'll see how he feels tomorrow after his appointment today

That sounds more like your problem. Dang horses!

I do agree though, that if you want to try hind shoes after you sort out his soreness, it certainly won't hurt him and if you don't see a difference, it easy enough to just take them off. :-) Hope pony feels better soon!

I agree with those who have said hind shoes are a good idea.

I waited a while to put them on my youngster when I first started him. He had fronts only for the first year. I kept thinking he felt "soft" behind (couldn't quite get him to really engage behind and he kind of "loped" over the jumps), and so I finally had my farrier add hind shoes. It was a night-and-day difference in his way of going. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't waited so long.

I do also agree with those who haven't found rushing at fences to be directly correlated with the need for hind shoes, but I've seen lots of things over the years that aren't directly related and yet impact each other pretty greatly. Could be that he's compensating for feeling a little less secure behind and that's leading to back pain, hock pain, or something else. Either way I think that adding hind shoes would be a good first step.

Good luck!

So today Kieran was moving totally different behind IN A GOOD WAY But his neck was a bit stiff, along with his front, which is logical since it's only been a day after getting done. Hind shoes are the next step, hoping the adjustment and addition of shoes will help him even more

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear he is doing better!

I would certainly give hind shoes a try; I've always had a preference for a horse being balanced all 'round, whether all-shod or all-barefoot.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, however, I'd just like to comment that if your horse is single-turnout no problem, but in company the risk of injury from a kick, even just in play, is greatly increased with horses wearing hind shoes. I've seen several fatalities directly resulting, and Borium is the worst! If your horse has Borium on behind, he MUST be single-turnout only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I would certainly give hind shoes a try; I've always had a preference for a horse being balanced all 'round, whether all-shod or all-barefoot.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, however, I'd just like to comment that if your horse is single-turnout no problem, but in company the risk of injury from a kick, even just in play, is greatly increased with horses wearing hind shoes. I've seen several fatalities directly resulting, and Borium is the worst! If your horse has Borium on behind, he MUST be single-turnout only.
    Yes he is a single turnout boy still thinks he is a stallion sometimes haha