The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ideas for trapping one of my injured Ferals - Captn Jack Sparrow, the one-eyed cat

This is breaking my heart. Jack came home yesterday with his fron left leg obviously swollen and unable to walk on it. He is my blind-in-one eye feral who was skinny and covered with mange when I first trapped him and had him neutered, vaccinated and de-manged. He just in the last 2 weeks has allowed me to pat him (and looks like the mange or whatever it is is back). I'm not sure if he got in a fight or got hit by a car or what, but I suspect it may be broken. Problem now is, he won't let me near him and he will not go near his cage, even with really good smelly food in there. Even one-legged he can get away from me. Unfortunately, I have to leave on a trip for work on Monday which only leaves hubby here next week. Hubby works at a farm, so he leaves when it is still dark and works 7 days, so he can't sit around being patient. Besides that, I worry that some animal will get him or that he'll try and cross the road and he is too slow....

Any ideas to try and trap him safely?

Do you have a secure garage, stall, or room you can lure him into and then lock him in? Even an enclosed horse trailer could work (did that by accident once with a feral ). Once he is in the confined space, then set the trap with his food and leave him alone, just checking every so often.

Christa

Can you feed him in an area that you can close off... like a stall, garage, tack room? If you can get him in there, then somehow scoop him up in his cage (or a have-a-heart) that might work. That's the best I can think of at the moment.

Jingles for Jack!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I don't have any better ideas than those above, but wanted to wish you luck and send jingles for Jack!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

hmm, we don't really have anywhere to enclose him in his usual haunts. He hangs out in our garage/shed, but it is completely open with no way to enclose it. Maybe I can get him in the horse trailer or the feed room, but he doesn't usually travel down to the barn....

Thanks for the great idea though - maybe I can get him in the house even...

Just to give you hope, I have known a few feral/barn cats that have broken legs and made full recoveries on their own. We had a barn cat who while friendly was mainly feral. He refused to stay inside and got out one day while we were trying to keep him contained. He healed up just fine. The joke in vet school is to just put a cat in the same room with a broken bone and it will heal. So, even if you can't get your hands on him if you could give him a safe place to eat and sleep then he will probably heal okay.

Ideally it would be nice to trap him. Would he go into an actually trap that will trigger without you there? Contact a local feral cat association and I bet they would lend you one.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure I have any useful info to share, however I just wanted you to know just how weird it was to see that you also have a one-eyed cat named Captain Jack Sparrow! Ours was feral and is solid black - he is very good at pretending to be a panther!

I don't know if you have any Trap/Neuter/Release folks in your area, but perhaps enlist their help?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields