The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I believe it is sugars/starches (as in sweet feeds, grain-heavy rations) not protein that is linked to OCD. I like a ration balancer, for that reason. Vitamins, minerals, enough protein to support the mare and foal, without the risk associated with glycemic-spike inducing grains and sugared feeds. That, plus good forage (I use a timothy, brome, alfalfa mix, and it suits my herd) or good grass is usually sufficient. I add flax and vitamin e in the winter - more flax for the hard keepers.

Exactly - studies couldn't even induce OCD issues with exaggerated protein intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I believe it is sugars/starches (as in sweet feeds, grain-heavy rations) not protein that is linked to OCD. I like a ration balancer, for that reason. Vitamins, minerals, enough protein to support the mare and foal, without the risk associated with glycemic-spike inducing grains and sugared feeds. That, plus good forage (I use a timothy, brome, alfalfa mix, and it suits my herd) or good grass is usually sufficient. I add flax and vitamin e in the winter - more flax for the hard keepers.
    I do the same. I might also add beet pulp and balance with rice bran (or wheat if horse doesn't like rice) for harder keepers.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

All winter they are on Hoffman's minerals and high quality free choice alfalfa mix hay. That is it. I am of the same opinion as Kathleen, about a month prior to birth when they start coming inside I start them on some beet pulp and Masterfeeds Podium (high fat, high fiber, low starch) which I continue through until weaning. I don't actually think they need anything extra prior to lactating but of course I don't want to just add or change things as soon as baby is born.

Edited to add: all of my girls are easy keepers and relatively young.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I would definitely choose TC Growth from the two options listed. I use it now for one of my broodmares and just LOVE it!
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

We also use the Junior Glo, Senior Glo, as well as Prime Glo (which is ADMs newest RB).

When the mares are put in the dry lots off the fescue we have to feed an alfalfa or alfalfa/orchard blend - so they'll get either Prime Glo or Senior Glo with an alfalfa balancer.

I have used TC in the past and liked it quite a lot as well. We've also used Enrich 32 and ProgNutritions RB, but I'm a bigger fan of the Prime Glo, even with the lower protein levels. We had a young mare on Enrich 32 who was having some major skin issues, and switched her to Prime and they fully resolved in a matter of weeks.

I feed the lactating broodmare Pennfield Broodmare feed. Foal get's a handful of Pennfield Fibregized and a ration balancer to keep it out of Mom's bowl.

Plenty of free-choice, high quality grass hay for both.

Glad to hear that many of you like TC Growth and the TC 30%. My mare is expecting her first foal this year and I chose it because it is the lowest starch feed I could find. She had OCD lesions and I'm hoping to prevent it in her foal. I really do like the TC products although for my performance horses I've switched to Legends b/c I think they need more of the carbs as the TC feeds I've used just don't seem to give them enough energy.