The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Redland HT?

Looks like I am rearranging my eventing schedule this spring. Has anyone been to Redland Hunt PC HT? I have a training level horse and haven't been to this event in about 15 years. Just wondering what it might be like now.

Anyone?

1 members found this post helpful.

It a nice little event. It has a very "old school" feel to it. Well run and everyone is very nice. The courses are fair and inviting. It isn't my top pick for a really solid training horse as it can be a little small, and while the courses have a decent flow, they aren't great for horses with BIG bold galloping styles, especially at training. But I do love it for green horses and riders or horses who may be maxed at training, especially as an early season event to get things going.

The biggest downfall is that they are perpetually cursed with rain and mud. Not their fault at all, but do realize that if you go, you may be running and jumping in mud and in the worse years they have to take off the bottom part of xc where the water is. I think in all the years I've been (probably 7 or 8 of the last 10), I've been there twice with bright sun shine and dry footing!!!

But I DO like it and if I had green horses or newer riders, I would be there in a heartbeat.

I went T there last year, for my horse's 2nd T. I thought it was overall small, though the water was not as inviting as the rest of the course. Agree on the galloping--its setting/layout reminded me a bit of Difficult Run--smaller suburban acreage, windy wooded paths, etc.

Last spring the ground was hard everywhere so it wasn't muddy, but we are off to a much wetter start this year.

ETA: A ha! Look what I found! My helmet cam from the xc last year http://youtu.be/I-wIrgq03wo

I was there last year for Training as well. I was looking for a friendly, on the soft side course to rock around for a confidence boost and it was perfect. It was on my list for this year too, but if all this rain keeps up I may nix it. The water jump was a little squishy/iffy last year and that was with perfect weather leading up. I can't imagine what it looks like back there right now.

Shout out to the kids/parents/volunteers at Redland...I was there by myself and everyone was super helpful. I borrowed a mom to help with a bridle change between stadium and xc, a dad gave me a leg up, and there were tons of smiles and "good lucks" from everyone.

Would love some insight into the BN course. Looking at last years results there appeared to be a lot of stops on XC at BN, bogey fence maybe? Looking for an inviting place for a green 4 year old. Thanks!

I am looking to go Novice. Anyone want to pick me up??

Quote Originally Posted by AshKnoll View Post
    Would love some insight into the BN course. Looking at last years results there appeared to be a lot of stops on XC at BN, bogey fence maybe? Looking for an inviting place for a green 4 year old. Thanks!
    I think Redland is known as a friendly, low-key horse trial that attracts riders who might not go to the more competitive HTs in the area. So the quality of riding at BN is a little more basic. You're less likely to see pros schooling their young horses, for example. I was riding novice last year and I don't remember BN having many problems. The course is usually quite straightforward. The terrain is quite hilly for a small area though so that was one challenge for me and my less-than-balanced big guy.

I agree with the muddy part. It is cursed with mud,band usually torrential rain the night before....