The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Custom boot styles

Hello all,

I am in the very fortunate position of being able to order a couple pairs of custom Dehner boots. I ride hunters, pretty much exclusively. I'm in my mid 40s. So, here is my question: for show boots, I was raised that DRESS boots are always appropriate & traditional is the way to go. That being said, more and more people seem to be equating "dress" boots with "dressage", and are showing hunters in field boots. Will I look like a dinosaur in dress boots, green-beige breeches (I love them, don't care), and my ratcatcher shirts (can't get into the wrap collars)? These seem classic, but I don't want to spend the $$ only to feel hopelessly out of style.

The second pair I'm considering is a pair of newmarket field boots http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephot...atan_large.jpg - I have lusted after newmarkets for as long as I can remember. They seem so impractical, though, but SO lovely. Anyone have experience with newmarket boots? what happens when the canvas gets dirty/wet, etc?

I know these are definitely "first world problems", but any advice would be lovely!

Thanks

I'm in the same age range. I'd wear what you like and feel comfy in. I remember when dress boots were the attire! I was younger and lusted field boots. Now...I lust dress boots! As long as you are clean and well fit, who cares?

When you get to be our age, either tell them "I'm an older Ammy, I can wear what I want", but I still sometimes rock my greenish TS, when I firing them. No funny looks! Oh- and my rat catcher- so with you. Once in a while I rock out a stock pin my trainer gave me when I was 12.

Good luck!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Wear what you like. Your outfit will be perfectly appropriate, and my bet is that no one will say anything to you.

As for the Newmarket boots, that's more of an indulgence. You know that Dehner advises they won't stand hard riding--? I probably wouldn't ride in them at all. The canvas is probably treated with some dirt repellant. That said, they are beautiful, and if you want them just to wear around, go for it. If you've always wanted them, and you can afford them, what are you waiting for?
    Last edited by Dewey; Mar. 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone know what the strap/buckle around the top of the Newmarket boots does? Is it just a style or does it have a function?

Thanks

As a hunter rider of a (ahem) certain age, I can tell you that after 30 years with a custom pair of Dehner dress boots, get the field boots. I loved my dress boots but there came a day when my feet expanded(seemed like overnight) and I could.not.get.them.on. I decided that a new pair was in order and I got the field boots so I could get my feet in them regardless of the size my feet chose to be on any given day. I skipped the zippers, though, I hate the look of zippered boots and was worried that they would break.