The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What name do you like best for our new male Husky?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dantès

0 0%
  • Aramis

0 0%
  • Lestat

1 4.55%
  • Gatsby

3 13.64%
  • Indy

18 81.82%

Default Name that Husky!

Well, it looks like we are going to be welcoming a new family member in May. He's a beautiful black and white Husky. He'll be the biggest dog in the house so I'm nervous. But, right now I want opinions on names!

As you can tell, I like different names. They have to mean something. Other suggestions are welcome!
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Huskies "need" northern names, IMO. Konstantine, Ivan, Maks, Sergei, Viktor for some good Russian names. Or Alaskan sounding stuff ... Sitka, Kenai, Denali, Yukon ... that kind of stuff.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

2 members found this post helpful.

Indy. Indy in the movie was a husky (okay, he's in "Last Crusade" for like three seconds. The point stands.)

Huskies are beautiful dogs, congratulations. My mom raced sled dogs before I was born, and when I was young we had some Huskies as well. I've always been fond of the name "Kavik".
    Just curious, since I see you have small dogs and a cat- has your new boy lived with small dogs/cats in the past?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Stand in your back yard and yell each name at the top of your lungs over and over. The one that rolls off your tongue the easiest should be his name.

5 members found this post helpful.

I love Huskies, a friend has 2 littermates now adults. They can be a challenge to train and yes, please cat proof your dog as they Love to chase. My friends dog has killed 2 or 3 neighborhood cats who made the mistake of getting into their yard. Good Luck with yours.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    Stand in your back yard and yell each name at the top of your lungs over and over. The one that rolls off your tongue the easiest should be his name.

I think this is so important. If it doesn't roll off your tongue then it gets shortened or a dumb nickname sticks. That isn't the end of the world but if you love big grand names you might be disappointed down the line when he becomes known as "ras" because Aramis doesn't roll off the tongue.

Default Two sylables

Or one.

Three is just too many.

We adopted an adult Rottie when my son was in high school. He was found abandoned in an empty apartment, eating the woodwork and drinking out of the toilet. His registration papers (found in a kitchen cabinet) said his name was Cireo. He never answered to it. We started refering to him as the Big Dog. Jamie, take the Big Dog out, get the Big Dog some water, get the Big Dog off the couch.

After day three, whenever anyone said "Big Dog" his ears came up and he came over to us.

Big Dog it was.

let's see, black and white, northern dog

Orca.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    I love Huskies, a friend has 2 littermates now adults. They can be a challenge to train and yes, please cat proof your dog as they Love to chase. My friends dog has killed 2 or 3 neighborhood cats who made the mistake of getting into their yard. Good Luck with yours.
    It is stories like this that make me sad. High prey drive dogs are a challenge for sure, but so many of them get a bad rap because of the ones who aren't taught or given outlets for their behavior.

All my dogs behave very well and I think I'm a pretty good trainer. I will however enlist professional help with this dog due to the Husky off leash issues. Accidents happen, dogs slip out the door, I firmly believe in a dog having 100% recall ability.

With his size and the size of my current pack members, he isn't going to be given an inch in the training department. Training bootcamp for him.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis