The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket fit help needed

I am having problems finding a blanket to fit my 14.2hh Paint gelding. He tends to drown in anything with a European cut (falling too low in the chest or slides back too much) and most blankets reach almost to his knees (causing rubs in the forearm). As far as specific brands, I have tried several Weatherbeeta styles and Schneider. The old Schneider blanket used to fit well, but I think that was a few years ago when they were cut differently and of course he just demolished his old one!

If anyone has any advice on brands to try for a horse of his size and build, I would greatly appreciate it.

Try Big D

Baker fits my small-chested pony rather well. It does try to rub in the front (the shoulder hairs are often frayed looking when I remove the blanket) but it has yet to take any hair off. The length down the sides is perfect on her.

Big D would be a good suggestion. They're made for QH types. State Line Tack has a Big D mid-weight turnout for $50 right now if you want to try one (they retail for $120+.)

Tough 1 also has a higher/smaller neck version of a blanket. I've found a few on eBay for <$80.

If my Baker weren't "good enough" I'd be looking for the same type of blanket as you, so I've done a little research.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into Big D. There have been a few Tough 1 blankets in our barn on other horses and I wasn't impressed with how they held up, but maybe they are just some really rough-playing boys!