The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Entering the KWPN breeding world!! Advice welcomed!!

Hi everyone! My mare is in foal to Popeye K, and is due at the beginning of August (still so long to wait!). This is her first time to have a foal, and my first time to breed a mare, so I am super excited. I do however, feel pretty unprepared! My mare is a registered Oldenburg, and Popeye K is a KWPN approved stallion, so from reading the website, I think that means that the foal has the potential to be registered Dutch. I was wondering if any of you had any advice as to things I should do/know as I am entering this world. I definitely would like to get the foal branded and attend Keurings. Any other recommendations? Best way to find a Keuring handler when you yourself aren't actively involved in that world? Also... the letter assigned to foals this year is I! Very tricky, so name suggestions are welcomed . Thank you all very much for your help with such a novice sport horse breeder!!!

I think your best bet is to contact the KWPN office and find out what you need to do. My understanding is that your mare first has to be approved by KWPN, so you would need to take her to a keuring for inspection. Also, KWPN does not brand foals - only those horses that come back at age 3 or older for keuring.

Perhaps some of the KWPN breeders on this forum can give you more specific info.

1 members found this post helpful.

With Popeye K as the sire and the dam being Oldenburg, the foal can be registered with the KWPN-NA in the hunter breeding direction.
    The keurings typically take place in the first couple weeks of Sept, so the foal might be a little young at the time of the CA keuring...
    Usually Janko (VDL) follows the keuring tour and offers his handling services at each location for a small fee. The keuring host should let you know who they have available.
    As DownYonder said, branding is only done at an inspection after the horse turns 3.

As for "I" names - did you want to continue the mares name? Do you have a theme you'd like to use?
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Actually, the mare does not need to be approved by KWPN if she is registered Oldenburg GOV as that is one of the "erkend" studbooks. Your foal would be registered in the "A" book. Horses are not branded until they are 3 and are entered into the Studbook- prior to that they are in the Foalbook. You need not attend a keuring with your baby to have him ---or her as the case may be--- registered.

Before 1 October,you will need to send to the office in an insemination form duly filled out by your vet. You can find these on the KWPN-NA website under "Forms". Then, when the time comes, the office will send you a Birth Declaration signed by your vet which you will return to them with photos and a DNA kit.

Good luck!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

The folks at the KWPN-NA office are fantastic to work with and ask questions of. I encourage you to send a copy of your mare's predigree to them to be sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

As for names, think of something you enjoy, sports, music, movies, mythology, etc and do a google search for all terms beginning with "I" that are in that field. Or get a scrabble board and make up a bunch of names to see what you like. By the way, the KWPN-NA does not prohibit the duplication of names as other registries might so you won't need to worry about duplicates.

Good luck with your foaling process and congratulations! Be prepared to become a breeder junkie!!

To txhjgirl:

You and I are in the same "newbie" boat. I am also considering attending this years Keuring at DG Bar with mare and foal in tow. Still not entirely comitted to it, but and definitely mulling it over. I can tell you (as did 'eggbutt') that the Ladies in the front office of the KWPN-NA are patient and kind and very very knowledgable when it comes to first timers like us. I've been in the H/J world for a long long time, have been following Jumper bloodlines for fun but hadn't bred a mare in over 20 years. So I had questions. A lot of them. Importing semen, a non-Dutch stallion, Book A or Book B ...I know this is becoming a love letter to those Front Office Ladies but they are a credit to the Dutch organization in the States.They made it a welcoming process instead of a tedious one. Use them! And the people on this Forum, you are in good hands. Good luck with your mare and your Popeye K foal. Don't forget to post pictures. I hope to see you at DG Bar in September.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    Actually, the mare does not need to be approved by KWPN if she is registered Oldenburg GOV as that is one of the "erkend" studbooks.
    Ah, thanks for that info. I had gotten the impression the mare had to be inspected - but maybe that is for mares from other studbooks being bred to Erkend stallions.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mikali View Post
    The keurings typically take place in the first couple weeks of Sept, so the foal might be a little young at the time of the CA keuring...
    Usually Janko (VDL) follows the keuring tour and offers his handling services at each location for a small fee. The keuring host should let you know who they have available.
    As DownYonder said, branding is only done at an inspection after the horse turns 3.

As for "I" names - did you want to continue the mares name? Do you have a theme you'd like to use?
    Thank you for all the great info! I am relieved to hear that the branding is when they are older, because as you pointed out, the foal will be very young at the time of the Keurings this year. The mare and foal are based in Texas, so I was very concerned about doing the long haul with them so early on. What are the benefits of taking a foal/yearling/2 year old to a keuring? I'm assuming so that you can have them assessed by an objective judge, but are there also benefits in terms of registration? It is also very helpful to know that it will be relatively easy to find someone more knowledgeable to help with handling at the Keurings.

The mare's name is Innisfree, which she had when we purchased her. We have no real attachment to the name, but had toyed with the idea of using it to help us with a theme for the foal's name. From looking up Innisfree, it appears that it is a fictional Irish town. So for awhile we had contemplated Irish themed names. I am a true blue hunter person, so I'm getting used to all of the registered names and bloodline importance. It has been fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    Actually, the mare does not need to be approved by KWPN if she is registered Oldenburg GOV as that is one of the "erkend" studbooks. Your foal would be registered in the "A" book. Horses are not branded until they are 3 and are entered into the Studbook- prior to that they are in the Foalbook. You need not attend a keuring with your baby to have him ---or her as the case may be--- registered.

Before 1 October,you will need to send to the office in an insemination form duly filled out by your vet. You can find these on the KWPN-NA website under "Forms". Then, when the time comes, the office will send you a Birth Declaration signed by your vet which you will return to them with photos and a DNA kit.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the info! I was struggling to figure out what "book" the foal would be registered in, and what you said totally helped me. Also, we just got our birth declaration in the mail! Very exciting.

Are they still branded in de US, because in the Netherlands horses are not branded any more... So it would be a bit strange to do it in de US and not in "the homeland" ;-) Register A it would be indeed.
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

They branded adult horses at our Keuring last fall, so it would seem so.

Hmmm strange..
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

Welcome to KWPN breeding! I see you are finding the KWPN-NA office helpful, which is good. They are always up on the latest rules so best to send them a copy of her papers and ask them the registration possibilities and if you need to fill out an insemination report. If Popeye is activated, then the owner will be sending in a report. I thought he was but didn't
    see that information on the website.

There is also a members committee and I chair the KWPN-NA stallion committee. We are always trying to improve the organization. Just had a fantastic meeting at Hassler Dressage which was so fun! So, if we can help in anyway, we are all out there helping each other.

Yes, KWPN is still branding in America. We are not under the European rules for that. It is an option for you at the keuring when they are 3 or older going for studbook.

I like your mares name and common in KWPN breeding when naming fillies is keeping the last part of the mare name. Like we have some LOMA lines and we have to think of ILOMA if it is a filly or something like that. I like that you have FREE on there, that could be really fun to carry as a mare line name.

Looking forward to hearing about the KWPN foals this year!

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

For related "I" names; off the west coast of Ireland are many islands which start with "Inish", or the Irish version, Inis. You might get fun names from those.

There is an island called Innisfree, on a lake in county Sligo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the mare need to be APPROVED by an Erkend registry, not just registered with them? Ex. If she's GOV registered & approved, then she's considered Erkend & doesn't need to be presented. But if she has not been inspected by an Erkend registry, she would in fact need to be presented to the KWPN....?

I asked the KWPN-NA office about this. The mare needs to be in the main foalbook or studbook of an erkend registry. Best thing is to always submit the papers to the office and ask the registration possibilities with your mare.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst