The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I buy this horse ? And if so, what is it worth?

A friend of mine is selling her mare and offered her to me at a good price. I always have some project horses that I play with and resale down the road. I'm on the fence with that one.
    Here are the stats :
    16.1H, 7YO, mare, very well bred WB, very well schooled on the flat, - limited showing, with a couple of clear rounds at 3'6 at A shows- schooling solid 4'3 courses at home, good technique, plenty of scope. Miles with a GP rider. Can take a joke.
    Now the catch is that she is looky on the flat. She will stop and look at stuff (chairs on the side of the ring, pile of jumps, drag ...), if you keep her busy with lateral work and transitions it's a non issue.
    Not really a good Eq prospect as she cracks her back pretty hard over fences. Has the power to move up to 4'6 down the road...

Should I pass or should I add to my herd and what would be the right price for a horse like that?

If you cannot use her, there is no "right price!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

2 members found this post helpful.

She sounds lovely. Are you comfortable riding her? Have fun on her? Wouldn't mind if resale takes a long time (spooky is always a harder sell than easy)?

Price depends on too many variables to guess.

Yes, I can ride her without any issues. I don't show in the jumpers, but I can play at home

A/Less than $10k
    B/between $10k and $20k
    C/between $20k and $30k
    D/Over $30k

C in my Area is likely but could be more. Sounds nice
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Easily "D" here. If you have a use for her and would enjoy riding her, why not?

If you have the time, motivation and $ to take on another project horse, I think she sounds like a fabulous one. Regarding price, based on your description, if the horse lived in the part of the country that I do and was familiar with the A circuit shows, I can't imagine she would be offered for less than 30K. If you do get her, I wish you luck and who knows, you may find yourself transitioning to the jumpers! She sounds exciting.

A\ so where do I sign the papers?

Really, not less than 30k.
    The horse is 7 and haven't shown much.
    With time and good training, she can only improved!

1 members found this post helpful.

If you don't show in the jumpers then just send her my way. In all seriousness, if you don't show in the jumpers what are your plans for this horse to get her resold? It sounds like what she needs now is exposure and mileage. If this is an investment horse and you have to pay someone to show her will you come out ahead? Sounds like a really nice horse and I agree with the others about pricing. Good luck!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Definitely D around here!!!

Is she super nervous or can the "lookiness" be managed through exposure, mileage, regular work, turnout, etc? My mare is definitely looky but we're able to manage it. It's much worse in cold weather and when she's in irregular work. Maybe you're seeing her now at her most looky?

Regardless, as long as she's not psycho, D! She sounds nice!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

D around here too. Is she a ride a pro might want?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Photo?

I'm assuming she's sound and does not major health issues...soundness issues and major health issues would put me in the move on group for a fun, resale project.

Those things aside. As long as you don't mind her stopping (does she get better as she gets familiar with the object, are you comfortable working through it and not intimidated), she sounds like fun. Can I do "A" so I can take her? To be serious, she would likely go in the High C or D range here. Are you willing and able to put in the time and money as a project? Those are always factors to consider as well. Why I don't pick one price over the other is that every area is different and well same with "A" shows, but if she's got mileage in "A" shows in this area I'd say the high C end would be the conservative estimate.

Good luck in your decision!
    Last edited by BellaFortuna; Mar. 22, 2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Grammer!

Who was the person on COTH who said "He's a piece of junk! (quick! hide him on my trailer)"

3 members found this post helpful.

That would be me, and ill be over to pick up the menace to society whenever the OP calls to spare the rest of the world the embarrassment.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Soooo, what are you going to do with her? Not understanding if you are going to put miles on her for resale or keep her at home to just play with- in which case 30k does not seem sensible unless you can easily do it.

Right now, she is a high ch/adult type and that market tends to favor one with more miles in the show ring to get the best price. If you want to resell and could get some Junior/AO Jumper miles AND market thru a trusted agent with a lot of contacts? You could triple that price down the road.

Right now? 15-30k depending on area, marketing skills/contacts and a PPE- that can go up with show miles pretty quick. So will either growing out of or losing her quirks thru schooling.

A very wise man once advised "never do business with family and friends". IME, which is a lot, he was right.
    Last edited by findeight; Mar. 22, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm not a jumper trainer, but I have a good network and sell a lot of horses.
    I asked about that one because she is not the type of projects I usually take on, I'm cheap and on a tight budget and can't afford made horses.

I just wasn't sure if the fact that she can't double as an Eq horse was a big deal or not.
    Also, while she is safe (she has been ridden by a 12 year old junior without any plroblems), she has this annoying habit to stop and stare at stuff. I didn't know if it would be a deal breaker for people. The funny part is that she is very bold to the jumps (will go over liverpools and anything), but will have a mini meltdown to trot by the cavalettis on the side of the ring.

Anyway, I think I can improve the spookiness, I have done it a on couple.

Findeight, you are right, I thought the same thing, the C/A market is probably going to be out because of the lack of miles and maybe the flat issue.

Knowing that I'm looking at a project priced in the A bracket, I should pick up the phone and schedule a PPE.

And no, there are no shady things going on, it's just a case of being at the right place, at the right time. And I'm in a better location than the current seller too.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you can get her in that A price range? Hitch up the trailer and Schedual the PPE. You don't sound like a novice so I'm comfortable with it.

Get her papers and keep the paperwork up to date Assuming she proves she is not nuts and improves with a little more age (7is young for some), she could be worth breeding.

ETA Ill take looky any day over stupid and careless. My good Hunter mare never stopped or landed in the middle of anything of got fooled by a back rail. But she would not walk past a chair at home that had been moved 3'.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I really think it depends on how much you can get her for.

In all honesty, most low jumper riders are amateurs/junior riders (meaning 3'6-4'3), assuming this is the height the horse will be marketed to. While there are some wonderful jr/ammy riders out there who dont mind a horse who has quirks I would assume many of them would rather NOT have a horse who stops and has meltdowns on the flat.

Would the horse be spooky at shows? Walking by golfcarts, garbage bins, children with bikes etc?

If you are able to get her super cheap and sell her cheap, then I would go for it - sounds like with some work and miles she could be a great jumper. However if you are looking to get what a normal 3'6-4'3 jumper would get the spookiness may put some buyers off to look for a more sane horse.

If it was me, I would buy if she was under $15,000. Put $5,000 work into her getting her shown and proving she can show at a higher level and then ask $30 (with a little wiggle room for negotiation) as that price still sounds like a "deal" to someone.

I personally wouldnt pay more than $30,000 for her as described as travelling around canada/usa there are plenty of horses with less drama issues at the same level in the 30,000 range.