The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yesterday we only stayed out 2 and a half hours. The property we hunted has not had a drop of rain for about 2 months so was very dry. Hounds worked hard but scenting was difficult, and hares were in very short supply! We saw a hare slip away around a dam after about an hour, and hounds were put on the line. We had a great run off her for about 20 minutes before hounds were rewarded for their work.
    Drew on for a wee while but making our way home, and called it a day. Ground still so very hard so we didn't jump our horses much, and at least this time all hounds came home sound =)
    They all now have a few days off til we hunt again on Saturday.
    Must get up some pics of our puppies - now 12 weeks old and at that so cute stage. Have just started taking them out walking around the property, with my Dalmatian Chilli. She's great for educating them in the early days - they stick to her like a magnet and she seems to love them. At least she has some use! =)

Here are a couple of photos of our new litter - they are 12 weeks old now and have just started going out walking. We use Chilli, my Dally, as chaperone =) She loves them, and they her, and that is very helpful when startingt their basic education, as in coming when called. We simply call Chillie as well, and the whole litter comes running. =)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

A month into our season now and going well. We've finally had the rain we've been waiting for and hounds certainly appreciate it! Still have a number of them foot sore from the hard ground but there are now far fewer feeling the ground.
    Have had one blank day - on a property that has not had a hare on it for several years, but members love riding there as the fences are so well prepared, and it is during school holidays so we get lots of kids there. Frustrating for our hounds, but good for our hunt.
    Joint meet this weekend with the our neighbouring hunt - they hunt their hounds on Saturday and we hunt ours on Sunday. 2000 acre property, so hopefully we'll have some good hunting =)

A month into our season now and going well. We've finally had the rain we've been waiting for and hounds certainly appreciate it! Still have a number of them foot sore from the hard ground but there are now far fewer feeling the ground.
    Have had one blank day - on a property that has not had a hare on it for several years, but members love riding there as the fences are so well prepared, and it is during school holidays so we get lots of kids there. Frustrating for our hounds, but good for our hunt.
    Joint meet this weekend with the our neighbouring hunt - they hunt their hounds on Saturday and we hunt ours on Sunday. 2000 acre property, so hopefully we'll have some good hunting =)

Thank you for your hunt report!!

At the fixture with no hares, do you only take out your entered hounds, or do you take out new entry as well? Just asking from a training perspective, is it better to not frustrate the young hounds so early in their hunting careers, or does it matter.

No jawa, we don't take out new entry, for the exact reason you mentioned. We're quite particular about which hunts we take them to for their first season.
    It would just encourage bad habits - we tend to take only about 12 couple to that hunt - older hounds who are not at risk of getting bored and rioting on rabbits.

Well, my hound pup has learnt to hunt over the last 2 days. Its always so awesome to hear them and watch them the first few times. Trouble is she took off tonight after a hare, through the neighbour's place and got lost in the gorse. I called and whistled for ages but she (and the JR terrier) didn't come back. I was just going home to get the quad and a spot light (it was full dark) when she began howling. She still didn't come when I called her and I had to go in a drag her out of the gorse bushes!!!

Her next lesson is how to find her way home!

Yay we are also a month in and I have made it to every hunt so far The hunting has in general been superb and the hounds have been absolute troopers in some not great conditions.

We have finally had some rain and that has softened the ground enough that jumping is no longer such a risk. I don't like jumping my hunters on concrete hard ground.

Horse is slowly figuring out that hunting does not just consist of running as fast as you can after the man in the red coat and that chilling out the back is not so bad after all. Took a bit of experimenting in the brakes department however Now slowly introducing the concept of jump a few fences then pull up and head out the back then jump a few more once horse has settled down again.

Completely enjoying the season so far just really could do with a second hunter

1 members found this post helpful.

New Zealanders! I'm wondering if anyone can point me in a direction where I could come and watch a hunt, I'm arriving in New Zealand this approaching Tuesday and have lost contact with the gentleman that was going to try and help me out.

Kim, I just got your message from way back in February, I'm about to e-mail you now.

Will see you soon Stacey =)

Well darn it. I jinxed myself. Horse is now very lame after our weekend away hunt. Had some very boggy conditions on Saturday and horse came home with a few nicks and scrapes but cleaned up good. Was sound when he trotted over to the gate for breakfast but came off the truck very lame after travelling to the Sunday fixture. So no hunting for me.

Packed the hunt truck yesterday with horse gear, horse feed, hay, rugs, water bins, hound food, hound water bins, clothes, food and the list goes on! About to load up the horses and hounds in half an hour and head 3 and a half hours north for a 2 day hunt.
    Mammoth effort - hope the weather clears somewhat as it's abysmal right now! We usually get some good hunting up at this property though, and a fun Saturday night with everyone else who is staying up there as well.

Stacy, where are you going to be? Apart from Northland that is?

She'll be in Auckland end of May, beginning of June, staying there for a week and will come up from there to hunt with us. I don't think she has huge computer access at the moment, so thought I'd answer on her behalf. =) If you can show her a day's hunting down your way, I can email her and tell her to get in touch with you =)