The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opening Hunt tomorrow

And it's still around 25 degrees celsius during the day. I swear the hares will be throwing up dust! Ground is rock hard so will be keeping jumping to a minimum at least until we get some rain.

On the "up" side - hounds super fit, horses fit, one already clipped, truck packed and ready to go. Roll on hunt season

4 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! It's such a pleasure to be able to follow your hunt season when ours has ended.

Default ENJOY !

ENJOY !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default Oops, tomorrow here too!

Lucky you posted that - I asked my grandmother if she would like to come to watch our opening hunt set off. She's nearly 85 and rode to hounds quite some time ago. Better call her now!

The ground is very hard here as well, the scent might not be great. I think the plan is for every second or so gate to be opened, to cut down a bit of the jumping (stock will be out of the way).

I shall be going on foot, but I think I nearly have a horse

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Best wishes for a great season with good sport and good fellowship.

My season will finish tomorrow, sadly.

Next week for us. Getting excited now as have new horse for the season so hopefully all goes well
    Also think that there will be very little jumping until we get some rain.

1 members found this post helpful.

Interesting. What animals do you hunt? With traditional foxhounds?

Our opening is next weekend, but tomorrow I am going over to excercise hounds and pick up puppy! I love having the hound puppies - so much fun to see them grow then watch them work when they're out huntong

Quote Originally Posted by littlebaypony View Post
    Interesting. What animals do you hunt? With traditional foxhounds?
    Here in New Zealand there are no foxes. All hunts hunt hares (except for the one drag pack). We all have Stud Book Harrier hounds.

Opening hunt went well, all things considered. About 80 riders out, and all gates were open even though the property was very well prepared with spars in all fence-lines.

Took a while to find, then had a great run. Came in a little earlier than usual as we had our fundraising "hound auction" afterwards. Still so dry, but surely it has to rain some time! =)

NellNZ and phoebetrainer - who do you hunt with?

We had our second hunt for the season yesterday in blistering heat - were allowed to ride without jackets. Only about 20 riders out, being a Tuesday, and we only stayed out for 2 hours. Finished with a great hunt, but 3 lame hounds already due to the hard ground. We're keeping jumping to a minimum (well some of us are!) for the same reason, but luckily most of the gates on yesterday's farm had been left open for us, making life much easier. We have some great property owners who go way above and beyond the call of duty to help make our day enjoyable and successful. =)

Easter weekend coming up so we're hunting Friday and Monday. Fingers still crossed for a drop of rain!

2 members found this post helpful.

NellNZ and phoebetrainer - who do you hunt with?

We had our second hunt for the season yesterday in blistering heat - were allowed to ride without jackets. Only about 20 riders out, being a Tuesday, and we only stayed out for 2 hours. Finished with a great hunt, but 3 lame hounds already due to the hard ground. We're keeping jumping to a minimum (well some of us are!) for the same reason, but luckily most of the gates on yesterday's farm had been left open for us, making life much easier. We have some great property owners who go way above and beyond the call of duty to help make our day enjoyable and successful. =)

Easter weekend coming up so we're hunting Friday and Monday. Fingers still crossed for a drop of rain!

Quote Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
    And it's still around 25 degrees celsius during the day. I swear the hares will be throwing up dust! Ground is rock hard so will be keeping jumping to a minimum at least until we get some rain.

On the "up" side - hounds super fit, horses fit, one already clipped, truck packed and ready to go. Roll on hunt season
    Jealous!

In New England, the drag hunts are preparing for spring season too.

So can you hunt year round over there?

Otterhound. I hunt with Waikato mainly.

Opening tomorrow, getting very excited now Must make sure I have remembered everything I need. Jacket clean but needs couple buttons sewn back on

Will report back Saturday night about how it all went.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great hunt today Weather a little overcast so not quite so hot, but still very dry. About 65 riders out, 2 very good hunts and looking forward to Monday's hunt up north. NellNZ we have an American huntsman coming out a bit later in the season to stay and hunt with us, and I think he'll try to get a day in with Waikato while he's here. Will be at Taupo Hound Show anyway, helping show our hounds.

I usually hunt with Waikato too, but also King Country and Taupo. I'm not going to opening hunt tomorrow - its too hot and I really don't feel like putting on a black jacket, even if it is a light weight one.

My puppy is doing great. She spent quite some time on Tuesday afternoon completely hound proofing my young horse. I was schooling and she followed me for all my circles, serpentines and changes. She ran into me a few times in downward transitions. Young horse went from "what on earth is that animal doing? " to "whatever"

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow.

So Saturday's hunt was all go. Didn't do much in the way of jumping as ground is like concrete and very rough in places as well. Need the boy to stay sound the whole season as don't have a second horse ready to go this year.
    Hounds ran superbly considering the heat and were rewarded fairly early on. Did have an incident later in the day where a hound was severely kicked which is unfortunate
    Great day socially and it's always good to get out and see people that you haven't caught up with since the end of the season before
    Hunting again tomorrow and Wednesday so a full on start to the season. Long may it last.

Is the hound ok? I get so p*ssed off with people who are too busy chatting etc, or just don't think it's important, and won't turn their horses heads to hounds. I know sometimes a hound may appear "out of nowhere" and accidents happen, but so many times it's avoidable.

So many riders seem to think that hounds are just an added extra to their day out hunting. I'm forever asking people to take care around them. At the end of the day, my partner and I are the ones who have to deal with any injured hounds and I hate seeing it.

We're hunting tomorrow - finally had rain today, after well over 2 months! Here's hoping rain fell up north where we're hunting as well!

Yes it is. Spoke to the huntsmans partner at the breakfast and she said it had come to once they got it into a vehicle to get it back to the truck. Was pretty upsetting to be honest.

I'm the same otterhound. To me the worse sin in the field is to hurt a hound. If you are not 100% certain your horse won't kick a hound then don't be any where near them.

I mean I'm riding a new to me horse this season and while he has hunted quite a lot and I've had him out with the working dogs etc I was very careful with him yesterday as I'm not convinced he wouldn't have a go if he got startled. So any time we are near the hounds he has to be paying attention and must keep his head to them. Just common sense to me.

Whereas my old girl I trusted completely and have actually had the pack run right between her legs when the hare doubled back through the field

Quote Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
    So many riders seem to think that hounds are just an added extra to their day out hunting.
    Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that's not just a local phenomenon. Glad the hound was alright!

I hope you guys keep posting updates throughout your season.
    ---------------------------