The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Micklem Thread

I was wondering what everyone's thought's are on the Micklem Bridle? Good, Bad, Ugly? Are they even legal in USDF, and USEA? I have an OTTB, that has a sensitive face (plus she rubs ALOT) and this bridle was recommended. I have a Nunn Finer that I use currently, but it was originally purchased for a body builder AQHA and she is much more refined, so it fits, but I would like to get her something, that her's and fits her properly. She is 16.3 with a petite face.

Oh, before I forget it may matter or not, but I use a Herm Springer KK Ultra Loose Ring for her bit.

I hate to be that person, but.. I think literally all of these questions have been discussed in other threads and that you'll get more info by searching than by starting a new one. Unless I'm missing the new question, which is possible.

I would say ride her in the Micklem for a while and see how it goes before investing in one. If she likes it, buy one for her. You'll be fine with that bit. I unfortunately just had to take my horse out of the Micklem because he goes in a fat rubber mullen (and has made clear he prefers that over ANYTHING else!). It was too much bit, so the "flash" part of the Micklem was pushing the bit into the sides of his mouth and causing discomfort, so I just switched him to a figure 8.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

1 members found this post helpful.

They are legal for USEF competition (USEA does not make those rules). I recently got one due to a gift certificate and curiosity. You can read my review here:

http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2012/1...n-micklem.html

I continue to enjoy the bridle, I think it looks handsome on his head and he is far less itchy -- he is sensitive skinned on his face as well.

They're also legal in dressage: "Micklem Bridle. Permitted for use at any level where snaffles are permitted. Not permitted for use as a double bridle. Bit clips may not be used with this bridle." -- USEF dressage rulebook, section DR121, page 44.

BTW, adorable mare also goes in a HS KK, an old one that used to be her "safety blanket" trailer buddy Trump's bit.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I like mine. I though my guy was a lot softer and less fussy in it (and my trainer agreed). I recently tried him back in a plain noseband, and he remained less fussy than pre-Micklem. But he was a lot itchier after I took off the bridle. So I do think it is good for the sensitive ones.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Ditto the search, you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about Micklem bridles.

Thank you a bunch. Doing the look up now, finding a ton!

When I looked I saw some of the threads were older and I wanted to make sure that no one changed their minds

Have had mine for about a year now and am very happy. They are a good fit for some horses. I think they look great; others hate how they look. It's not a miracle bridle and my sensitive faced horse seemed unimpressed with it. As I replace bridles, I will likely get another. I ride my guy in it with a korsteel D-ring french link snaffle. I love the ergonomics of them. Happy searching.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses