The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When can I clip my cushings pony?

Our daytime temps have been in the 40's, and creeping into the 50's, according to future forecasts. 30's at night. Out during the day, inside at night. Has a turnout sheet.

When can I clip the pony?

Our temps are about the same here, perhaps a bit warmer during the days, and I blanket clipped my mare last week, I think it was? (not cushings, clipped for convenience, she's sweaty pig when ridden otherwise)

I find I need to have a medium weight on her at night or I find her shivering in the morning. The sheet just didn't cut it overnight.

If you're hoping to clip and just use the sheet, I think it needs to be just a bit warmer.

Ok. That's what I figured, but every day, I get a little more antsy! Just got my mega blades sharpened, and I'm ready to do some sheep shearing!

Default My "cushings"mare got an "apron" clip last week ``` more clipping soon ~

My 'cushings" mare got an "apron" clip last week when it was *83 for a day ~ helped her cope.
    Now we have some unpredicted snow ~ SO I am very glad to have just done the 'apron' ~ as is she !

The weather has been crazy this year. in our area anyway. One day it's close to 70, then the same night we get a snowstorm. Insane.

I'd hold off until it's a bit warmer if pony only has a sheet. Last year we waited until it was steadily in the 60s during the day to clip my mare, but she did get chilly easily so we didn't want to jump the gun!

Sheep shears! I envy you. I wait till about May to do the old guy. I start fretting about it around now but I came home today to a frozen pool surface so I'm not going to do this for at least a month, say around tax time.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    The weather has been crazy this year. in our area anyway. One day it's close to 70, then the same night we get a snowstorm. Insane.
    You could use a thinning blade or do a very light clip with a longer blade in the direction of the hair