The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can we talk about building a barn? $$$?

We're in the process of buying a property with acreage, and came across a home/property not yet on the market. We've looked twice and have decided we would like to buy (OMG!!!!) with a few changes. The owner is the builder and will price out a barn to my specs, but I am not sure where to start. I know what I would like, but also that it would probably far exceed out budget

I would really appreciate the details including costs of your more recently built barns. I priced out Nobel and MD today, but not sure if those are more economical than a pole barn.

I am totally on overload right now!

We build a pole barn and built stalls, tack and feed rooms ourselves. It cost under $40K for everything. The nice thing about a pole barn is that you have covered space and can "develop" it as needed. Keep in mind when building a barn, you are probably going to need excavation work unless you have a flat area and drainage is a big deal.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

36 x 36 pole barn with a hayloft, concrete aisle and concrete in the tack room area, electric and water, roughed in for 3 stalls and a tack room (I built the stalls, my hubby built the tack room) cost us $30K 7 years ago. The next year I added on a 10 x 36 foot horse porch where the horses go outside. (our Dutch doors on the stalls open to their sacrifice paddock) and that was another $3K. We did not require a lot of excavating or leveling--we are on sandy loam and the foundation is just sand brought in with concrete footings. All included in the price.

Just a ballpark--this is going to vary enormously based on where you live. Our pricing put the MD and Barnmaster barns at almost twice the cost of the pole barn! Ask around for the local "pole barn guy"--builders and people at the lumberyards will know.
    Click here before you buy.

36x48 pole barn, 2 years old, we are in north central MD so your location may impact price. 4 stalls, with Dutch doors. Horse porch, wash stall, heated tack room, hay storage area, concrete paver floors. All electric, Hot water heater, generator hook up, well and all plumbing, outside frost free and auto waterer 45-50k, however we are fortunate enough to employ carpenters in our real jobs so they built stalls etc, found t&g at a lumber auction so saved some there.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Depending on where you are, framing in metal may be a better way to build than wood.
    Wood framed barns tend to not last even 1/2 as long, here not even 1/4 of metal ones.
    We have torn down practically ever one framed with wood over the past 100+ years.
    The metal ones, some built in the 1940's, are still like new.
    Wood here just don't hold up that well, but may where you live it does.
    Look around in your area and see what others have done and are doing today.

If you go with metal framing for the shell, check with local welding shops and commercial warehouse builders for bids.
    We got much of our metal from auctions, but that is also because wood is so expensive and of poor quality here, you can get metal cheaper.

If you prefer wood for the stalls, you still can build them out of wood, once you have the building shell up.

Just more to consider.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just finished mine in SW Tennessee.

24'x40', very utilitarian, no frills. Cleared 1/2 acre of underbrush and brought in 3 loads of dirt. 3 stalls, feed room (with loft above), washrack with drain. 4" brushed concrete everywhere but the stalls. 12' metal sidewalls with wainscoat and an insulated roof. I also have metal on the inside of the feed room, wash rack, and interior walls (that aren't stall walls) so there would be no exposed 'ribs'. Wood in stalls goes up to 8'. 8 dutch windows. Roughly $16k (this includes $800 I paid because I changed my mind on where I wanted it to be after he laid the initial frame ). My builder was a 1 man team after the frame went up. That helped keep the cost down since he wasn't paying several people. It took 3 months, but that was the trade off.

Running electrical and water cost $10/ ft. Wiring the actual barn was pennies.

I built the stall grills and doors and put down the floors in my stalls and rubber mats, that was $1k.

I do not have barn doors yet, and that will cost me another $1k.

My barn is 48x36 with a raised center aisle loft which projects another 6 feet past the footprint at one end. It is metal roof, wood siding and has a concrete footer with a solid block "kick wall" So far we have about $25,000 into the building. The interior is not finished yet.

When you do things like this- chunks of $1000s will just keep popping up... Driveway gravel- boom... crushed lime base- boom... buried electric cable... boom... waterline... ca-ching!!!

I'm dreaming of the cuppola with a weathervane- while all the money gets pushed into the mud as the gravel sinks.

http://www.facebook.com/sprocket.beausbuddy?ref=tn_tnmn

3 members found this post helpful.

24x36 barn with loft (3' knee wall upstairs in the loft), 12/12 pitch roof.

Right side is all aisle down the side (12' wide), left side is 12x12 tack room, then two 12x12 stalls. No frills, don't even have water in the barn, its about 25' away (easier to leave it where it was then move it to inside the barn aisle).

All materials including the concrete job (that is everywhere except the two stalls, those are stone and then sand, with rubber mats on top) my total was about $15,000 and my boyfriend built the barn, so the labor was free. I purchased everything I could from Home Depot, and they delivered it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Noble (if you mean Noble out of Oregon) and MD are not comparable, IMO. MD builds a nice barn, and cost is up there. Noble isn't the same at all, and I wouldn't consider them for a permanent structure on a place I own (would use if I had to go temporary or move it). If you are in the NW, Choice is another modular type builder with nice products a little cheaper than MD.

Building costs vary so much by region, size, materials, etc., you might be better off getting a rough idea, even a quick drawing of what you would like and getting some quick estimates from this builder and perhaps others in the area. Just a round number to tell you it is possible or you need to scale back on your want list. Then once you settle on size and can get a more detailed estimate, you will not be blown out of the water by the estimates...hopefully!

Do check out this builder before you commit. You've seen the house, but I'd want to get references from other clients, maybe see a barn he built if possible. Not every home builder can build a barn.

Northern Illinois, I just figure 10K per stall. That is with me doing everything but the shell of the building and concrete. Our last addition was a 48X48 building with 5 12X16 stalls, 12X32 run in, and 12X24 storage room. Right at 50K. All electric in conduit, 12' concrete aisle, HO fluorescent lighting, T&G stalls, dutch doors, large windows, overhead door in storage area, additional water hydrant, rubber mats in stalls, 10' ceiling.

$50k got me a 36x60 shell. We did the interior ourselves and everything else was extra $$ - electrical, plumbing, concrete, insulation, tongue & groove for stalls, etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Since everything you need for a barn is heavy, delivery of materials for your specific location can add quite a bit to the cost.

Don't forget to price out ground prep and any material you need to add to your site to create a level, elevated, building pad, which can add thousands of dollars.

Horse-appropriate fencing also is a lot more expensive than you probably imagine.

You don't say where you are; here in rainy but not snowy northern California, I built covered pipe corral stalls. I'm pretty happy with that. Covered space in general is more useful here than enclosed space per se. You might consider starting with pretty simple run-in sheds and then contemplate the barn later... although it can be harder to scrape the money together later sometimes.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yes yes yes!!! This was exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you all for contributing.

I've drawn up a few plans that would be ideal, preparing to scale back if necessary. It will be interesting to see his quotes, but a little nervous because it didn't sound like he's ever built a horse barn before. Pole barn, shop, garage, yes, but horse barn, no. My realtor has instructed me to detail every little thing, and provide a lot of pictures with *exactly* what I want. We'll write everything in the offer to the T..

Ground prep for both barn and arena have been noted, as well as compacted base and sand (arena) and pea gravel (runs). Water, electricity, doors, windows, etc, etc, I'm dreaming manly construction dreams!!

The costs seem so over the place! I will report back with details and estimate when we get one

Pay attention to grading and guttering and overhangs. Any place water runs off your roof is a potential mudhole. Any local low spot is a potential mudhole.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

What part of the country are you located in?

I would give Borkholder a call and see if they have any local reps.

http://www.borkholderbuildings.com/

They make a quality product and are very nice to deal with.

It is extremely variable. Here, I can put up a metal pole barn that's 20 x 40 with a sliding door and a human door without lifting a finger for $10k. Then finish out the inside on my own schedule as simple (stock panel stalls and simple plywood/lumber framed tack or feed room -- my horses live outside anyway) or as fancy (put pavers and mats in aisles, order stall fronts/kits, build and pack stall bases, use a "barn" building company, etc) as you might desire. So decide up front what your budget is and shop around and talk especially to your local horse community.

What Wildlifer said
    It all depends on materials, site prep, and your tastes

If you look at the modular barns, you can get a good feel for what things cost. (look at Horizon Barns, for instance)

Concrete is expensive
    Most stall systems can be pricey, but stalls are fairly straightforward to build yourself, even having local metal workers do the grills if you'd like those (or making them yourself).
    Electric/water prep, depending how extensive, can be very inexpensive or very expensive.

At the barn I'm building, everything was quoted out before we started building, which was very helpful in understanding what things cost and what we could change to fit our budget.

Thanks again to everyone for answering. I'm in the Northwest, so not sure how that changes things. I have been drawing up plans all week and my realtor dropped them off with the builder this afternoon. The problem we may have is the slope to the property, so I am almost more inclined to spend more on a good base and excavation than my ideal barn. I am certain an ideal barn would be less than ideal if you have to slop around in mud to get to it. I would imagine he'll have a quote for us in a couple days. Luckily I built in several amenities I can do without at this point to cut down on cost.

I also called Choice Barns today after they were recommended and was shocked when they quoted me more than MD for the same design. Must be a difference in area, but I was pretty surprised!

I think right now my biggest priority besides good fencing is a solid base for the arena, barn and runs. We can def. add into a shell of a barn as we go, but won't have the chance to really set down a good base after this point.

Fingers crossed

Three things:

1. Get your sacrifice paddock sorted before you do anything else. Spend whatever it takes, and build the barn out of what's left over.

2. Find a builder who understands horses and barns. Regular home builders don't get it. Rudimentary stuff like ventilation, stall drainage, and the importance of no sharp edges are typically beyond their area of expertise.

3. Prepare yourself for the Knucklehead Parade as various subcontractors strew your place with taco wrappers and Big Gulp cups, pour concrete in the wrong places, get their trucks stuck in mud in your pasture, and just plain don't show up. I started my barn last June. Due to knuckleheadism, it still isn't done.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

4 members found this post helpful.