The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Micklem fit (updated photo post #8)

I just do dressage, but since more people on the event side of things use a Micklem bridle, decided to ask this here.

My horse is a *very* tough fit because of her big brain, short face, and tiny nose. Think start with a Cob bridle, shorten the cheeks, throatlatch, and flash (if there is one) to pony size, sub in a Full or WB size browband, and you'll have something that basically fits.

Here are two photos of my horse in her Micklem. It's a small horse/cob size. The first is for a general view of where the straps go (sorry about the blurriness; she wasn't in a cooperative mood.) The second shows how the bit and chin strap fit, or don't. I'm generally comfortable with this, though I wish there was a tiny bit more room between them.

Just want to know if you'd do anything differently with this bridle...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x...00/miklem2.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...00/miklem1.jpg
    Last edited by quietann; Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

First, I want to say that your mare is adorable!

Second, I can't see anything obviously wrong, but just make sure the noseband is in the proper spot. It looks like it may be in the right spot, but without being able to put my hands on her, I can't say for sure. First pic looks a smidge low, second pic looks about right.

Gosh, she's a cutie!
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

IMHO, the noseband is too low. It should rest on the nasal bones. You can feel for them to make sure that it is high enough. There are pics of how to do this in the Miklem lit. Mare is adorable.

Is that the Micklem competition? I noticed that in contrast to my regular micklem, the competition version has short chin straps, so i have my horse on the first hole in it, while in my other micklem, i have it on the 2nd/3rd hole. See if you can raise the noseband up a hole so it sits higher on the nose and fingers crossed the throat strap can still be buckled. Don't worry if it is a little snug, it should stretch w/ use too

Great, thanks for the feedback. The noseband actually is on her nasal bone (very short face, remember), but it's just barely on it, so I can try raising the cheek pieces by a hole and then lowering the bit straps by a hole. I'm using the 3rd hole from the largest on the chin strap, so I should be able to put it on the 1st or 2nd with no problem.

Adorable mare is adorable, yes. She was a low-level eventer before our respective soundness problems grounded her, and me, more or less. HawksNest, who posts here, took her to eventing camp in 2008 and had a blast!
    Last edited by quietann; Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Ooooooooooh she is so cute!

The bridle looks good. The noseband on the Micklem is meant to sit a bit lower, it looks just right, but you could try upping it a hole and seeing what that looks like. The problem you run into with raising the noseband is that it simultaneously also raises the "flash" part and (while I think you'll have plenty of room since you said she's narrow down there), that was the difference between the bit cutting the corners of my horse's mouth, and fitting.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

If you do a youtube search for the Micklem Bridle you will find a great video on how to properly assemble and fit it. The video is called Assembling the Rambo Micklem Multibridle and is done by William Micklem.

Here is a photo with the adjustments people suggested -- cheeks up a hole, bit straps down a hole. She was a little fussy like this; the bit was probably too high in her mouth, so I put the bit straps down another hole today (now on the loosest hole) and she was happier. This photo really shows her face shape well -- it's not an easy one!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9...00/miklem3.jpg
    Last edited by quietann; Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Looks good to me! If she's happy.. keep it like that. And gosh I am a sucker for blondes..

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Here is a photo with the adjustments people suggested -- cheeks up a hole, bit straps down a hole.) She was a little fussy like this; the bit was probably too high in her mouth, so I put the bit straps down another hole today (now on the loosest hole) and she was happier. This photo really shows her face shape well -- it's not an easy one!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9...00/miklem3.jpg
    Is that bridle the Dark Havanna Color? And how thick are the reins?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    Is that bridle the Dark Havanna Color? And how thick are the reins?
    Yes, this is the dark havana color. I've done a lot of conditioning with Effax Lederbalsam and that's darkened it a little. The browband and the reins are not the ones that came with the bridle; the reins are from Jerry's Harness and if I remember correctly, they are 3/4 inch leather with hand stops, and the browband is something fairly generic from Dover. It's a little big, but the one that came with the bridle was way too small. The bridle comes with rubber reins that are pretty thick.

I just got one of these. I thought my guy was a pretty standard horse size, but the thing that goes under the jaw is on the last hole and seems tight. Please tell me it does stretch! Or at least that the cheek pieces relax more in that downward position. It sure is a much less cluttered and easier bridle! He seems to go well in it, but I was riding him in a loose drop before, and this seems a bit tighter to him, will take a bit of getting used to. I think he'll appreciate the stability when he relaxes with it.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I just got one of these. I thought my guy was a pretty standard horse size, but the thing that goes under the jaw is on the last hole and seems tight. Please tell me it does stretch! Or at least that the cheek pieces relax more in that downward position. It sure is a much less cluttered and easier bridle! He seems to go well in it, but I was riding him in a loose drop before, and this seems a bit tighter to him, will take a bit of getting used to. I think he'll appreciate the stability when he relaxes with it.
    I ended up having to exchange mine for an oversize. I couldn't get the jaw strap fastened at all. Now that fits, but cheek pieces and bit straps are almost too long.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I ended up having to exchange mine for an oversize. I couldn't get the jaw strap fastened at all. Now that fits, but cheek pieces and bit straps are almost too long.
    Oversize would not work; he's up to two holes from the top on the cheeks and I'm not sure the nose is high enough yet. And this one does not have a blocky head. It's like the cheeks are too long, and the jaw strap too short. If it doesn't stretch/relax, the easiest fix would be to find a strap with a buckle to extend the jaw strap.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

The bridles do stretch. My mare started on the first hole for the straps under her chin. Now, she is on hole #3. You should be good to go.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

If you oil and condition the snot out of it, it will stretch nicely and get pretty nice and supple. I wish the leather was nicer, but with some intense TLC, it is not bad at all. The reins it comes with SUCK (way too fat and stiff for my tiny hands). Replaced mine with NF Soft Grips. And the browband with a NF padded clincher.

Amy

Looks better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    It definitely stretches at least 1 or 2 holes, even without regular conditioning (what can I say, I'm bad about taking care of my tack!) You can punch an extra hole if it's too tight, but it will definitely stretch enough to fit if it's used regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.