The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anybody at Aqueduct (on Wednesday March 27)? Peek at a horse for me.

The full brother to my 2 year old is running at Aqueduct on next Wednesday, March 27.
    Third race. Starter/optional claimer.
    Chapman (Stanislavsky-Red Headed Girl).
    Stretches out to a mile after winning his debut at 6f on the inner track in December, and his nw2 in February. He was third in starter/optional company a month ago, but 'had an excuse' out of the gate.
    If anyone is on-site (or going) I'd sure appreciate you taking a gander at this horse and eyeballing how big he is, how he's put together, how he acts, etc.
    His 2yo full sister is here as the 'fall-out' from a blood mare I got to use for sport breeding. She's sweet (but sassy), cute (but pretty well put together), going well (but headed for sport, unless ....!)
    I just wanted to hear 'what he looks like' since I can't really tell from the videos and win pix.
    The 2yo is small-ish, and a little light, and her neck comes out of her (good) shoulder more like a reining horse instead of an elite athlete.
    But, if Chapman is similar, it might make me give long consideration to training on her a little bit and see where we get!
    Email me direct BetsyP@crosslink.net or just reply here if anybody's on site/headed to the races that day and can clap an eye on him.
    I spoke to the syndicate manager that owns Chapman but he doesn't know squat -- I asked him how big the horse was/about his conformation and he was very very vague!
    I just want to hear if Chapman is similar, and has over-stepped both his bloodlines and his conformation to get into relatively nice company. Or if he is a bigger, more racing-athletic sort.
    Thanks in advance!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

You could try and contact the trainer, he might be able to fill in some blanks for you.

Do you own the mare? If not, we're you aware that she's on camera over on marestare? I knew I had seen her name recently, that's where

Yes I do own the mare.
    She is currently foal-leased for a warmblood, but the reason I ask the above is to see if I want her back to breed again.
    Lightning may indeed strike twice! Or maybe three times!!
    I had her b/c she'd not produced anything on the track previous to the 3yo, but now that he's acting, I look at the 2yo a little differently, and, indeed, at the mare a little different, too!
    The trainer is on suspension and his assistant is running the shedrow. Limited English and my experience with those guys is that they don't have a measuring stick nor would he understand the mechanical connection of the neck question.
    But obviously, if no one is up there of course Acertainsmile's suggestion is all I can do.
    I was just thinking somebody on here is based up there.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

You may have to wait untill after he runs anyway...Most trainers don't want someone stopping by checking out a horse that is entered (however innocuous).

In the paddock - not so much the stable.
    Totally get it.
    Just wanted a trusted sporthorse type person (such as ACertainSmile etc. to pop eyes on this horse and speak of his coupling and size and ... everything.
    I may just have to hop on a train!

Wish I could help, but I'm not so far from you! A trip to the Big A would be fun though!

You may watch the Aqueduct Replays for FREE on the NYRA site.

Thanks, Wilderness. I've been watching this fella since he first started. It's just that they only show hte race, not a conformation shot in the paddock!
    I am so very very interested in how he's coupled - up front in particular. You just can't tell that in a 1/2 second shot in a post parade (if you're lucky) or a stretched-out finish line slo-mo replay!
    *Every* horse looks a little low-coupled when they level out in deep stretch -- its that my girl is built ... well ... a little bit like a WP maven, not an upright muscle-bound athlete.
    I'd love to hear this is what Chapman looks like too, and that I should crank on my filly!
    Or not, and that I should make her into a junior hunter!

ETA -- "Watching" him online, I mean, not in person!

If you have access to a simulcast facility you can watch the feed from the paddock? Chapman will probably be one of the horses shown on isolation as Andy Serling has tweeted that he will be "using" him in his selections. Maggie Wolfendale works the paddock offing conformation and demeanor updates. If you are twitter you can "follow" her and get any commentary she may have on Chapman.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My twinspires account shows the horses in the paddock and post parade, might be worth signing up if you are in a gambling approved state

Linny and Jenny
    Rats. I'm just doing it from my home computer - slow(ish) satellite 'net.
    Is there a way I can do it from here? Awesome tips, though, so I know for the future to get thee to an OTB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Awesome tips, though, so I know for the future to get thee to an OTB.
    Perhaps on a Wed and an early race on the card an OTB will keep "on" the uninterrupted NYRA feed - including Maggie giving insight from the paddock - but all too often OTBs will switch video from Tampa to Gulfstream to the Big A. Too many races are almost on top of one another nixing any luxury of watching a particular race field going from saddling to post parade.

The tweets:

https://twitter.com/andyserling

https://twitter.com/maggiewolfndale

NYRA also has their instagrams so maybe your guy will get his pic taken

If you have dial-up and thus likely issues will occur with jitter, maybe just opt for the NYRA audio

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    I spoke to the syndicate manager that owns Chapman but he doesn't know squat -- I asked him how big the horse was/about his conformation and he was very very vague!
    Ironically my neighbor owns a stake in that syndicate although not in Chapman, but rather in this winning one. I've seen past communications to the partners regarding the horses and its modest with details.

Chapman's victory in January is seen here on youtube - a nice surge to the finish.

Maggie just described Chapman as "big and rangey" and a horse that should get the distance in this route race.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

He likely would've won today had he not dropped to his knees at the break. Terrible start from the gate which threw off the entire dynamic. Finishing 2nd - down by a few lengths - was a credit to his determination.

Video replay from NYRA - race 3

Linny
    That tells me all I need to know - measured my gal this morning (she wsa being fitted for her first pair of tap shoes!) and she's struggling to reach 15.1. And she's a full 2 years old next week.
    We'll see how she develops over the next 8 months but I'm not to hold my breath!
    Glimm - I understand from the breeder of Chapman that he was sold in-stable from your Dare To Dream peeps to thew new owner for 6 figures, so you see why I'm sort of interested! My 2yo went from children's hunter to possible athlete in the span of Chapman's race career!
    I'm not having any luck watching the NYRA replay on my sat. 'net. Glimm or anybody - any chance you have access to or knowledge of a better replay? (free)
    Thanks for all the input. Such a minor thing but totally guides my hand with this young horse.

I have a Stanislavsky baby too! he will be 4 next month...

Sunken Meadow -- How big, etc.??!
    I think my gal's size/shape comes from her ma' not her pa'.