The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I full board now, but when I was buying my own hay at a partial-care barn, it was roughly $80 a month per horse (if I bought directly from the grower, it was much more expensive at the feed store). I'm in California Add another $18 dollars amount for a complete feed I use as a snack, and another $45 or so for supplements, and it would total roughly $220 a month for two horses.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Hay - $185 per horse a month
    Feed and sups - $90 per horse
    Wow! Where do you live? I thought CA was expensive!

Feed = $80 / horse (For the Florida horses)
    Hay = $220 / horse (Florida)
    Hay = $180 / horse (Arizona horses)

Calculating based off what my bo pays for hay & quantity fed for one of my horses. I do buy & supply my own grain though.

~$75-90/month hay
    ~$45/month for grain (ration balancer)

OP, I started figuring this out and it gave me an anxiety attack....
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

3 members found this post helpful.

Varies: currently only on hay so $135 month per horse, nice T/A mix, supplements $80.00 (just one horse on supps, use smartpak), ration balancer $25, amplify $20ish.

In Spring/Summer/Fall assuming good grass: hay goes to $30, supplements to $93 for the one originally on supps, and $15 for the other, both due to the addition of Equitrol, RB and amplify same.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Alright, so I did the math for some reason. Keep in mind that I manage a farm, and part of my compensation is my two horses living here....so, technically feed and hay aren't directly out of pocket, but I know what they cost!

Toby (working horse)
    Hay- roughly 20lbs a day @ roughly 10cents a lb= $60
    Feed- 9lbs a day @ 49cents a lb= $132.30
    Cocosoya oil- 8oz a day @ 13cents an ounce= $31.20
    Monthly Smartpak = $44.85
    Toby's Grand Total = $268.35 (yikes)

Neigh (retired guy on pasture board)
    Hay- Very roughly 10lbs a day (he grazes a lot, even this time of year) = $30
    Feed- 2lbs a day= $29.40
    Cocosoya oil- 2oz a day= $7.80
    Monthly Smartpak= $30.90
    Neigh's Grand Total= $98.10

This does not include the massive amounts of carrots, cookies, a peppermints they consume, nor does include either of their daily meds (Prascend for Neigh, Zyrtec for Toby), or anything else. I don't even want to know what I REALLY spend on them both (especially Toby) in their monthly care and upkeep!

Good grief, you know something is whacked out when the supplements and additives bill is higher than the hay and grain bill!
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Someone mentioned summer -- mine just eat grass

I could add in the salt block, but it's nominal.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Someone mentioned summer -- mine just eat grass

I could add in the salt block, but it's nominal.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Hmmm, I go through 2 round bales at 40 bucks a piece....and probably 2 bags alfalfa cubes ($30) and 2 bags beet pulp....($36).....half a bag of flax, so $17...for a grand total of $163 for two horses. Little less than $82 a horse for a month. My guys have NO grazing and are fat,sassy and shiny- so I'm more than happy with that!
    Kerri

Thanks, OP, for ruining my day. All numbers are approximate...

Two old Morgans (this is each, not combined): $68/month for hay, $4/month for grain, $26/month for hay cubes (served as mash twice daily)
    Young TB (currently on stall rest, so this number will go up when he's back in work): $117/month for hay, $21/month in grain, $26/month for hay cubes.

$26/month for all three combined for psyllium.
    $47/month for Platinum Performance for all three (I get it mad cheap because SO is a DVM).

So, grand totals per horse:
    27 year old Morgan: $122
    20 year old Morgan: $122
    6 year old TB: $188

This is why I laugh when people say "it's cheaper to have them at home!!"

Hay: 1 bale at $8.50 every 2 days, so 14 x $8.50 = $119
    Grain: 2 lbs of a 50 lb, $20 bag, so 1 x $20 = $20
    Meds and supplements: $72.50 every 28 days = $72.50

Total $211.50/month

I do semi-rough board (they feed, the other boarder and I do chores) for $250/month. I also pay for shavings.

Want to really ruin your day? Tally up how much you've spent on veterinary services since you've gotten your horse, and divide by how many months you've owned her. $85/month.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Hay $5 per day per horse
    Grain $1 per day for my horse
    $5 per day for Senior for the retiree
    Vitamin supplement $ per day for my horse
    Total: $210 per month for my horse
    $300 per month for the retiree

I love how the OP asks for exact costs and then people chime in with estimates!

I just did the math. It's costing me $8.41 a day to feed my calorie-incinerator TB, give or take a few cents. That's $252 a month for one horse!

I don't spend that much money on groceries for myself!!! I think I'm going to go present him with a bill...

Luckily the easy-keeper mare costs me less than half of that to feed. And the donkey probably only eats about $1/day in hay and a handful of vit/mins that don't even add up to anything.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Let's see:

Easy-keeping QH eats nothing but hay and the sugar cubes he mugs me for. I grow my own hay but pay someone to bale it, so it works out to right around $3.00 a bale all said and done. He splits a bale every day with his buddy and gets a smidge more in the stall at night, so call it $3.00 a day. That's $90 a month for him.

The hard-keeping TB mare who is boarded gets a custom grain mixture that I mix up that works out to about $50 a month. She is picky about when/where she eats her hay and only does about a third a bale a day (although I wish it were more) of my home-grown stuff, so that's about $1.00 a day, another $30 a month. So $80 a month for her.

No supplements for anyone. I suspect my saving grace in terms of cost is that I have plenty of pasture room so they eat basically no hay from April to November or even sometimes December. I supplement at the beginning and end, and if they come up to the dry lot. But I understand why people with land collect so many horses....I skip around all summer dealing with nothing but hauling water to the fields, saying "They're free, they're free!"

It's only in the summer, when I'm filling my barn with thousands of dollars of hay, that I realize what a PITA and money-suck they are.

4 horses (3 Morgans and 1 Arab) for 1 month:
    4 round bales/ month= $220.00
    6 bags of local milled 12% feed= $83.94
    1/2 bag whole flax seed= $18.25
    1 bag of beet pulp pellets= $15.99
    2 bags of alfalfa pellets= $29.98

Total: $368.16/4 horses= $92.04 per horse per month. I have no pasture at any time of year.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

For two ponies: About $4.50 per pony per day for hay, oats, vit/min/hoof supplements, salt, carrots, apples and treats. And I know this because of the very handy FeedXL program which calculates such things for you. I say 'about' because I'm sure it's gone up a bit since the last time I subscribed to FeedXL.

I've never gone back through my records to itemize the differentials between hay/grain/supplements, but, I spend $200.00 a month for grain and supps for my one horse.

I buy 200 bales of hay a year, but that feeds Daatje and the two minis, who together eat about 50 bales a year, so Daatje eats about 150 bales a year. $7.50/bale x 150 = /$1125 divided by 12 months = $93.75 a month for hay for Daatje.

So, about $300/month for feed for one horse. (albeit a big, gas-hog of a horse )